19 members have voted

1. 1. Njoku beat last years TE production single handily

2. 2. How do you feel about our TE's

• They are awesome
    • they are good
    • they are average
    • they are bad
    • awful
  3. 3. Does Njoku beat Kellen Winslows Browns stats?

Last year we had 68 receptions for 817 yards and 5 TD's from out TE group. 

My question for this thread is; does Njoku best this total by himself this season?

Njoku was selected 29th overall last year in the draft, from Miami University. At the time he was considered a very raw rookie, so he is set to jump in production at some point. Tyrod Taylor is known to make use of his TE, so it could be a good year for the whole group, as well as Njoku. As far as targets go, he is probably only behind, gordon, landry and maybe Duke in how many targets he may receive.  I see Devalves role shrinking this year. I think he will be used as a like for like replacement for Njoku. With Fells taking some of his blocking snaps. 

interestingly the last time we took a TE high in the draft it was another Miami player Kellen Winslow. Winslow fancied himself many things, including a fn solider as well as Heisman candidate. He didn't receive any votes. His time with the Browns was up and down to say the least, he made a few good plays. But he will be remembered more for a motorcycle accident. Heck he probably caught more staph than footballs with the Browns. 

his final stats with the browns were 219 receptions for 2459 yards 11 tds. Does Njoku beat that in his time with the Browns? he needs 180 receptions, 2100 yards and 8 TD's. 

How much do you love Njoku?

What are your thoughts on this group?

We signed Darren fells, who has chipped away in a 4 year career after playing pro basketball around the world. 

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/F/FellDa01.htm

We no longer have Randall Tefer who i thought had one great season as a blocker for us. 

Average group with above average potential as pass catchers. Njoku is still very raw. Within the next 2-3 years, he could be a pro bowler, or he could fail to put it together, much like Ebron. It’s a tough position to predict and transition to in the NFL. Devalve is a pretty good pass catcher, and Fells is one dimensional but an effective blocker. Njoku’s ability to become a complete player determines the TE position’s success.

2 hours ago, NateDawg said:

Average group with above average potential as pass catchers. Njoku is still very raw. Within the next 2-3 years, he could be a pro bowler, or he could fail to put it together, much like Ebron. It’s a tough position to predict and transition to in the NFL. Devalve is a pretty good pass catcher, and Fells is one dimensional but an effective blocker. Njoku’s ability to become a complete player determines the TE position’s success.

lock this one up, we got the answer here

That is a pretty fair assessment Nate and mistakey. But I will offer this:

The offense is so much stronger as a whole in 2018 than in 2017. I will say the biggest single impactful change is we no longer have a turnover machine trying to learn the game on the fly at the most important position on the field..

If I am a defensive coordinator vs the Browns 2018 offense, I am very concerned because this is what I have to stop:

1. Pressure Taylor the best you can and keep him in the pocket as long as you can. Remember, he has mad escapability skills. Big, game changing plays seem to happen more often than not when a QB breaks contain.
  2. Lock down Gordon and Landry so you are not getting nuked by the 15 yard plus pass plays.
  3. Shore up the box so you are not getting gashed and trucked by Hyde and Chubb up the gut. There is no more demoralizing play in football than knowing your opponent needs 4 yards, you know they are running it right at you - and you cannot stop them.
  4. Be ever cognizant of where Duke Johnson. He has a knack for slipping out of the backfield, catching a pass - and once he is in the open field - his speed and moves become lethal to an unprepared defense.
  5. So, finally we get to the tight ends at point 5. I consider all of the above to be of more importance to a defense. You cannot cover or double team everyone. That is why I expect better opportunities for our TEs to post monster numbers this season.

4 hours ago, NateDawg said:

1 hour ago, mistakey said:

lock this one up, we got the answer here

Pretty much this.

I loved the Njoku pick and what I saw from him last year. As @NateDawg said, his success will likely determine the success of the group.

I think DeValve can be a good mismatch in the passing game.

Fells is an underrated signing imo. He’s not much in the pass game, but he’s a legit road grader in the run game.

Archived