Training Camp 2018

big_palooka

Another thought is sending Obi to the IR. He's never healthy. He needs reps but I'd guess learning to physically play at the NFL level for the first time in addition to a complex new system is his deal. This way he can focus on  learning the system and get his body right with the new staff. We're stacked at S depth. Not a good look for him if this were to happen. But I feel like it's too early to give up on him completely

13 minutes ago, Silver&Black88 said:

Another thought is sending Obi to the IR. He's never healthy. He needs reps but I'd guess learning to physically play at the NFL level for the first time in addition to a complex new system is his deal. This way he can focus on  learning the system and get his body right with the new staff. We're stacked at S depth. Not a good look for him if this were to happen. But I feel like it's too early to give up on him completely

Agreed that it’s too early, the kid has had knee surgery followed by hip surgery. Would be far too early to cut him now. 

32 minutes ago, Silver&Black88 said:

Have to wonder if that implies Roberts gets his walking papers. We're tight on cap space and we also have Ateman, Hatcher, Harris (unless we want to count him with a ST spot), and Whitney who bring something different from Coop/Nelson/Bryant/Switzer. All costing much less. 

Dead cap though. Roberts is hot garbage. I don't want to see him on the field again.

3 minutes ago, SilverNBlackFan said:

Only in a last minute drive should he see the field.

He sucks but dude is clutch ?

He wasn't only bad Wr at catching but got numerous bad penalties last year.

1 hour ago, RaidersAreOne said:

He's one hell of a blocker though. Could be useful in situations. 

WR's are paid to catch. Yeah we have no choice so he'll have a bit of value, but I'd rather have Holton as a pass catcher than Roberts despite the drops because at least he can separate deep.

5 hours ago, Dessie said:

Agreed that it’s too early, the kid has had knee surgery followed by hip surgery. Would be far too early to cut him now. 

Yeah I just dont know what the best course of action for him now

5 hours ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

Dead cap though. Roberts is hot garbage. I don't want to see him on the field again.

He makes 4 mil.  2M dead cap. We could get 2 or 3 of those guys for that lol.

2 hours ago, Silver&Black88 said:

Yeah I just dont know what the best course of action for him now

He makes 4 mil.  2M dead cap. We could get 2 or 3 of those guys for that lol.

It’s $4.2m dead cap now. Everything was guaranteed on 3rd day of the new season.

19 hours ago, agarcia34 said:

Seems like They’re asking Penn to take a pay cut. Can’t blame them. I have said since the Raiders drafted K.Miller that Oakland is just looking for any reason to release Penn. Miller has looked better then most people expected and has been getting valuable reps every practice. Would be a risk going into the season with Miller at LT but u drafted him to do so. I also wonder if Penn does agree to take the pay cut does it come with the condition that he plays LT or do they move him to RT if they continue to see Miller improve and want him to start at LT. 

Raiders can save some money by letting Penn go that could eventually help close the deal with Mack. 

Miller isn't ready. If Key is punking him on a regular basis, imagine what Miller, Bosa, etc. will do to him. And Penn is not going to be moved to RT. He's never played there in his career. Best hope Penn is healthy, because Miller needs a redshirt season I'm guessing. 

16 hours ago, RaidersAreOne said:

Obi being out is really worrying me.

Why? He's not even among the best safety's on the roster. Getting out shined by Eric Harris of all people.

Now, if you're worried because it was a waste of a 2nd round draft pick then I agree. 

I was thinking this morning, the Gruden effect is real already in Oakland. The media are like dogs waiting for a bone for content they can spin (and it's funny watching raider fans who should know better buy in).

First.... there was the joke about throwing it back to 1998. Then story lines about how he's lost touch

Then the Mack situation... he comments broad stroke that the defense wasn't very good with Mack (translation, we have to get better as a whole). But media runs that as "Mack could be traded" speculation. When in fact one reason Gruden opted to take this job was Carr and Mack.

Now it's his comments on Bryant. All I've seen is "what a terrible trade, he doesn't know the playbook" articles. When we all know Gruden wants his WRs to know every spot in the offense and that is a learning curve. Oh.... and he tore it up by all accounts in practice yesterday. As if he wasn't going to have a role in offense.

Get used to the Raiders being ripe for stories, rumors, etc. now more than ever. Gruden is going to carry a target on his back with his contract and expectations. 

Personally... I find Gruden's no-nonsense refreshing. Call a player out when needed. Be transparent with injuries, etc. 

Archived