Training Camp 2018

big_palooka

17 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

RT is a mess isn't it. Silberman looked like trash. Now sharpe is getting a look. Going to be a long season on that right side again. 

Sharpe played well on Friday night. Hopefully he can make run at starting RT.

10 minutes ago, Dessie said:

Sharpe played well on Friday night. Hopefully he can make run at starting RT.

I'd be interested to see if Ware gets any reps at RT now or when Penn is back. I thought he looked solid in pass pro on Friday night. A year of coaching and in the weight rooms seems to have helped quite a bit.

7 minutes ago, StocktonSav said:

I'd be interested to see if Ware gets any reps at RT now or when Penn is back. I thought he looked solid in pass pro on Friday night. A year of coaching and in the weight rooms seems to have helped quite a bit.

I honestly think we keep Penn at LT and Kolton plays RT.  Let's not forget Breno is in the mix and is hurt RN.  I don't think it's as bleak as some.  

24 minutes ago, Totty said:

I honestly think we keep Penn at LT and Kolton plays RT.  Let's not forget Breno is in the mix and is hurt RN.  I don't think it's as bleak as some.  

Miller isn't playing RT. They've made that abundantly clear. He's taken 1 snap on the right side in OTAs. He's entrenched as the RT

1 hour ago, big_palooka said:

Miller isn't playing RT. They've made that abundantly clear. He's taken 1 snap on the right side in OTAs. He's entrenched as the RT

40 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

Yea Miller is our LT and LT only. 

While looking long term I agree, in the short term this is all predicated on Penn. Penn hasn't practiced all offseason so it makes sense so far that the 1st round pick LT of the future get all the reps he there while he can . Especially given that Penn's return to health is far from certain. But if Penn comes back I find it hard to believe Miller won't get a look on the right side. Even if Penn is back and one of the current RT candidates locks up the starting position, Miller would likely be the swing OT and would need reps on both sides.

55 minutes ago, StocktonSav said:

While looking long term I agree, in the short term this is all predicated on Penn. Penn hasn't practiced all offseason so it makes sense so far that the 1st round pick LT of the future get all the reps he there while he can . Especially given that Penn's return to health is far from certain. But if Penn comes back I find it hard to believe Miller won't get a look on the right side. Even if Penn is back and one of the current RT candidates locks up the starting position, Miller would likely be the swing OT and would need reps on both sides.

But the staff said cut and dry, he's a LT so they have no plans to play him on the right or as a swing tackle

54 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

But the staff said cut and dry, he's a LT so they have no plans to play him on the right or as a swing tackle

You honestly think they'll have Penn on one side and Breno on the other over Kolton? I don't.  

When Penn is back he will have to battle it out with Kolton...most probably Penn will start when he is 100% and Kolton will be his back up. I have no problem with that. Ware will have a hard time sticking around without the back up LT spot, since he is not in the RT battle...maybe PS and ER option behind Kolton if Penn goes down...

At RT we have a couple of guys working hard and the best may win the spot. After that we will have to be smart and help the winner out, because most probably he will be a rookie (Parker), a young somewhat raw guy (Sharpe, Ian) or an old below average stop gap (BG). We will use TE's and maybe even 6th OL to be sure about protecting Carr.

With Carr's quick release I'm not super worried about the OL. I want the best run blocker at RT, because the run game will be critical to our success IMO.

Archived