Training Camp 2018

big_palooka

11 minutes ago, Rich7sena said:

I believe he was on the first team in the first preseason game. Whalen is a veteran's veteran. Not only has he been in the league for 6 seasons, he played in a pro-style offense at Stanford. The competition at receiver is looking pretty stiff. It'll be interesting to see if Switzer's athleticism beats out Whalen's experience. Who knows, maybe both make the team.

I think both of them could be on the final roster.

Cooper, Nelson and Bryant are locks.

I think Switzer and Ateman will also be on the final roster and I see Whalen or Harris on as a 6th WR, but as a pure returner.

3 hours ago, RaidersAreOne said:

Apparently we are good enough to cancel practices, huh?  Not sure how I feel about it, but I imagine he is happy with the work put in if thats his move.  Still plenty of pre season/practices to get ready for week 1.  

16 hours ago, MrOaktown_56 said:
On 15/08/2018 at 5:30 PM, Darbsk said:

Good points and it's a legitimate concern about who plays OT against some very, very good edge rushers. 

My initial thoughts would be to keep Miller on the left, and if he can show he's at a reasonable level (and only then) let him start there with Penn on the right. As he'd be more vulnerable, I would assist him against the likes of Von Miller with TE help and RB/FB help too. This is of course if he shows in real game situations that he can handle it. I would think Penn would be ok on an island on the right.

If KM is struggling at LT against decent competition in pre-season then I'm certainly not taking the chance of trotting him out there against the NFL's elite pass rushers. I'd start Penn at LT and the winner of the RT battle and maybe help the RT with a TE or chip blocks etc. I'd know Carr has a quick release but we don't want to confine him into being the QB he was last year where he just seemed to panic and get rid of the ball so swiftly against a very quick internal clock. I'm sure Gruden will want to keep some longer developing plays in to keep the D on their toes and to utilise Bryant and we can only do that with adequate protection.

He will struggle if not in preseason, in the regular season when he faces the death row we go up against. I say this with certainty because if he doesn't struggle, he'd be in a handful of left tackles in the last 10 years who came in and were very good players from day 1. It's one of the hardest positions to play in the modern NFL. Would much rather have Penn in from day 1 on the left side with Kolton learning. Honestly, I know he's more raw, but he needs to be able to play RT if he wants to contribute this year. I'd honestly redshirt him a year or use him as a swing guy unless our RT situation is so bad we need to play him at left to shift Penn over.

What I meant by 'decent competition' was if he held his own against the a few starter calibre players in pre-season, I know we're up against some elite pass rushers so if he struggles against average guys and rotational guys then we'll probably go with Penn as you have said.

I can see us doing that, though if Penn starts and Kolton is suited up and we have a RT go down I can see us moving Penn over to RT and putting Kolton in at LT providing he's not a liability in the remaining pre-season games (and he looks initially to be promising to me). You'd have to think that wherever they play him the opposing DC would treat him as any rookie tackle and send their best pass rushers his way and some complicated blitzes too so we'd have to counter that with quick release throws and maybe running Smith and Lynch straight down their throats a few times to slow them down.

On 8/16/2018 at 5:52 AM, Rolni said:

I think both of them could be on the final roster.

Cooper, Nelson and Bryant are locks.

I think Switzer and Ateman will also be on the final roster and I see Whalen or Harris on as a 6th WR, but as a pure returner.

Yeah I brought this up earlier too. Like. After the top 3 its:

Whalen (I think I even forgot him before), Ateman, Switzer, Roberts, Hatcher, Whitney, Harris, Blacknall

I think Ateman goes to PS since we have some big TEs to flex out wide. Harris might stick as KR (who even is our KR besides him?). Roberts stays because of money I think. Not sure if we can keep both Whalen/Switzer if Harris stays. A Roberts trade would be great, but unlikely. Switzer won't clear waivers imo.

My guess is: Cooper, Nelson, Bryant, Whalen, Roberts, Harris. Ateman & Switzer to PS, maybe Hatcher. Whitney & Blacknall cut.

40 minutes ago, Silver&Black88 said:

Yeah I brought this up earlier too. Like. After the top 3 its:

Whalen (I think I even forgot him before), Ateman, Switzer, Roberts, Hatcher, Whitney, Harris, Blacknall

I think Ateman goes to PS since we have some big TEs to flex out wide. Harris might stick as KR (who even is our KR besides him?). Roberts stays because of money I think. Not sure if we can keep both Whalen/Switzer if Harris stays. A Roberts trade would be great, but unlikely. Switzer won't clear waivers imo.

My guess is: Cooper, Nelson, Bryant, Whalen, Roberts, Harris. Ateman & Switzer to PS, maybe Hatcher. Whitney & Blacknall cut.

I don't think Switzer is eligible for the PS. Too many games active last year for the cowboys.

5 hours ago, StocktonSav said:

I don't think Switzer is eligible for the PS. Too many games active last year for the cowboys.

Fair point, hadnt thought of that

4 hours ago, raidr4life said:

Throw Kolton to the wolf's they claim he was the best LT in the draft, let him prove it!

And risk Derek Carr's blindside against the pass rushers in our division? Not sure if sarcasm.

On 8/17/2018 at 7:36 PM, Silver&Black88 said:

Fair point, hadnt thought of that

And risk Derek Carr's blindside against the pass rushers in our division? Not sure if sarcasm.

Nope! They wanted him and said he was the best LT in the draft, coach him up and hopefully he can get it done.

1 hour ago, raidr4life said:

Nope! They wanted him and said he was the best LT in the draft, coach him up and hopefully he can get it done.

He could be the best left tackle in the last two drafts and still not be better than Penn. If you're not trolling, this is honestly one of the worst suggestions I've ever heard of on this forum.

Archived