Training Camp 2018

big_palooka

I mean this is just semantics at this point but "journeyman" isnt even really directly related to how good a player is. It often does just because bouncing around is usually the byproduct of average to below average performance. But not directly.

Griff Whalen is a journeyman but so is Rashaan Melvin. Totally different situations unrelated to skill level.

2 hours ago, StocktonSav said:

I mean this is just semantics at this point but "journeyman" isnt even really directly related to how good a player is. It often does just because bouncing around is usually the byproduct of average to below average performance. But not directly.

Griff Whalen is a journeyman but so is Rashaan Melvin. Totally different situations unrelated to skill level.

Nah journeyman is almost always used with a negative connotation that means mediocre. If a player is good, they won't be bouncing around a lot. Melvin only really came into his own this year. He had many suitors, including the Packers, and came to the Raiders because he was really wanted and we paid him 6.5 million. Whalen has been out of the league for a year and we signed him for vet min. Melvin is a roster lock. Whalen isn't. I wouldn't classify them as remotely the same.

3 hours ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

Nah journeyman is almost always used with a negative connotation that means mediocre. If a player is good, they won't be bouncing around a lot. Melvin only really came into his own this year. He had many suitors, including the Packers, and came to the Raiders because he was really wanted and we paid him 6.5 million. Whalen has been out of the league for a year and we signed him for vet min. Melvin is a roster lock. Whalen isn't. I wouldn't classify them as remotely the same.

jour·ney·man
ˈjərnēmən/
noun
  1. 1. 
    a worker or sports player who is reliable but not outstanding.
    "a solid journeyman professional"

6 hours ago, Bitty 2.0 said:
jour·ney·man
ˈjərnēmən/
noun
  1. 1. 
    a worker or sports player who is reliable but not outstanding.
    "a solid journeyman professional"

Journeyman is exactly a guy who is in fact good, but for whatever reason bounces around alot. Stupid argument overall, but Penn is not a journeyman. The guy spent almost all of his career on 2 teams as a full time starter. Melvin isn't, not sure I'd call Whalen that guy because I don't know how much he's actually done on his teams or how much he is desired around the league as a player. There aren't many guys like that in today's game. Guys who continually find spots on teams to put together a good career, but never seem to stick around. Drew Stanton is a guy kinda like that. Josh McCown, Brandon Marshall.

Interesting article in the Athletic this morning about Calhoun and Cowser. Apparently they're good friends and both discussed how they tried to improve coming into this season. Calhoun's focus was on improving his strength and power as a pass rusher which has definitely jumped out so far this preseason.

But the interesting nugget, apparently Cowser is a big NFL star in China. He speaks Mandarin as a result of an LDS mission or something and he's gone done tours and camps there the past two summers. Who knew. Weird

1 hour ago, StocktonSav said:

But the interesting nugget, apparently Cowser is a big NFL star in China. He speaks Mandarin as a result of an LDS mission or something and he's gone done tours and camps there the past two summers. Who knew. Weird

I remember seeing a bunch of videos of him on the Raiders platforms over the years in China. Good for him for spreading the Raider fanbase to Asia!

Archived