Trent Murphy Out For The Year-Torn ACL

mar29020

2 hours ago, Woz said:

*shrugs* Kid played with heart. Do I think he'll make the final roster? Not really, no. However, he's got that fire. Let's see what he can do.

If Marley keeps playing like this and they cut him because of his size than they're stupid. He's a playmaker with a nose for the ball. You find a way to get those guys on the field. 

20 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

If Marley keeps playing like this and they cut him because of his size than they're stupid. He's a playmaker with a nose for the ball. You find a way to get those guys on the field. 

On top of which, if he can play like this but get derided for being too small, he can play with a chip on his shoulder and stay hungry.

All in all, he and Harvey-Clemons have made the inside linebacker the position group to watch for training camp battles.

41 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

nothing wrong with the PS. This is a business not a charity case. Rudy was a movie. 

He won't hold his own against any blockers and TE's will eat him up. SS could be a solid position change, but if he can't cover than thats no use. 

I love heart, its a great thing. But that doesn't get you very far against an OG kicking you out who is 6'7 340 lbs. 

3 minutes ago, mike23md said:

nothing wrong with the PS. This is a business not a charity case. Rudy was a movie. 

He won't hold his own against any blockers and TE's will eat him up. SS could be a solid position change, but if he can't cover than thats no use. 

I love heart, its a great thing. But that doesn't get you very far against an OG kicking you out who is 6'7 340 lbs. 

True, very true. Of course, a 6'7, 340 lb offensive guard also takes down 6'1, 235 lb inside linebackers, as Will Compton found out to his dismay.

Marley had a great game against guys who likely will not be on any rosters in a few weeks. That's a negative. His size is another negative. That said, he made a name for himself, which possibly turned a "thanks kid, but there's the door" into a "hey, would you be interested in hanging around on our practice squad?" There are worse situations a no-name UDFA could find himself in.

If Marley makes the team it will be because of special teams. He's in a tight race for the final spots on the roster in my eyes and it will all come down to special teams between guys like Marley, Spaight, JHC, the safeties, corners, TEs, RBs & WRs.

We already knew Murphy would be out the first four games, so I am still confident in our depth.  For once, we've drafted well over the past couple seasons, and I feel confident with what we have, even if we are counting Junior Gallette.  We have already lost Houston Bates as well, so lets hope this is it for injuries related to OLB.  

I think Anderson is going to be the best of the 3 OLBs we selected in round 2 over the years. I'm excited to see him get some playing time this year. He's a relentless pass rusher and a stout run defender.

If we wanted a fast OLB we should have taken one in round 1 in one of the last 3 drafts, that's where you get the fast speed rushes.

5 hours ago, turtle28 said:

I think Anderson is going to be the best of the 3 OLBs we selected in round 2 over the years. I'm excited to see him get some playing time this year. He's a relentless pass rusher and a stout run defender.

If we wanted a fast OLB we should have taken one in round 1 in one of the last 3 drafts, that's where you get the fast speed rushes.

Speed rushers are also the flavor of the year with all of the copy cat teams taking them high.  Their value is at a premium, which allows other players to drop.  Playing the long-game, I am fine drafting BPA and letting every team get their fill of the speed rushers.  

On 8/13/2017 at 0:14 AM, lavar703 said:

Against guys who will not make NFL rosters. I think Marley is likely a practice squad candidate.

16 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Speed rushers are also the flavor of the year with all of the copy cat teams taking them high.  Their value is at a premium, which allows other players to drop.  Playing the long-game, I am fine drafting BPA and letting every team get their fill of the speed rushers.  

Speed rushers are not a flavor, they are imbedded in the history of the NFL as a player which every team needs and the greatest defenses have and the only chance we have of having one this year is Galette.

10 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

Speed rushers are not a flavor, they are imbedded in the history of the NFL as a player which every team needs and the greatest defenses have and the only chance we have of having one this year is Galette.

Of course they are, but players are being drastically overdrafted at this point because of the teams trying to copy the "attack" style defense that the Broncos, Texans, Seahawks and a few other teams have popularized.  It happens with different kinds of players at different position every couple seasons. 

Archived