Run defense stats

brooks1957

I saw this on ProFootball Focus and I thought I would share. According to the stats from last year, we were knocking on the door of being a top ten run defense. We all know how many rookies and second year players we had last year - but that was also the first year in DC Gregg Williams' system. Even he stated at the conclusion of OTAs how much more relaxed and instinctive the players were this season. There is zero reason not to expect that "second year in the system" leap forward for this unit into the top ten - and we begin to get the reputation of a DOMINATING defense.

Here is the excerpt from the linked article on the Browns in 2017"

12. Cleveland Browns

TOP THREE RUN-DEFENSE GRADES AMONG RETURNING PLAYERS:

Derrick Kindred, safety – 87.3 run-defense grade
Carl Nassib, edge defender – 84.8
Myles Garrett, edge defender – 84.8

Missed tackle % on run plays, 2017: 11.2% (13th)

Gone is Shelton, but there is still a lot of talent on the Browns defense when you look through their roster. While Garrett’s rookie campaign was limited to 518 snaps due to injury, he looked impressive against the run when he was on the field with a run-defense grade of 84.8 that was tied for 15th among edge defenders. Even better news for the Browns is that the player he was tied with at 15th, was their own in Nassib. Larry Ogunjobi was a force against the run in his first season in the league, producing a 9.5 run-stop percentage that was tied for 17th among defensive tackles, and the exact same mark produced by Shelton a year ago. At linebacker, Joe Schobert made first contact with the runner on 66 plays, more than any other defensive player in the NFL. The Browns allowed a league-best 0.88 yards before contact in 2017, and they have a shot to be just as good, if not better in 2018.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-nfl-run-defense-rankings-all-32-teams-entering-2018

Your point is well taken. It was easier to bomb us over the top last year to gain significant advantages. But with the drafting of Ward, and the additions of Randall, Gaines and Carrie - the back end of the defense has been shored up. That will force opponents to rely more on the run - right into the strength of the Browns defense.

3 hours ago, CBrownsman said:

I know many here didn't think overly highly of him, but I hope that going for more pass rush out of the defensive Nose Tackle position and letting Danny Shelton go doesn't hurt our run game defense game too much.

He was legit against the run.  He was invisible against the pass.

I'm willing to have our run defense be slightly worse if it means significant improvement in our pass defense.

3 hours ago, CBrownsman said:

I know many here didn't think overly highly of him, but I hope that going for more pass rush out of the defensive Nose Tackle position and letting Danny Shelton go doesn't hurt our run game defense game too much.

It depends on Ogunjobi imo, I thought he looked stellar last season in his limited snaps

I think Brantley can make a leap too, especially on passing downs.  He moves well for a guy his size.

17 hours ago, ReggieCamp said:

He was legit against the run.  He was invisible against the pass.

I'm willing to have our run defense be slightly worse if it means significant improvement in our pass defense.

So I'll be honest, I never understood why he wasn't better against the pass.  He was disrupting the run because he was very consistently in the backfield, was it just that he couldn't get that penetration on passing downs? or too slow to run down the QB after getting the penetration?  It also didn't help that QB's got he ball off incredibly quick against us i suppose.

17 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

It depends on Ogunjobi imo, I thought he looked stellar last season in his limited snaps

I think Brantley can make a leap too, especially on passing downs.  He moves well for a guy his size.

I hope Brantley makes a leap, I'll be honest, I don't know what the browns see in Coley or why he started last year over Ogunjobi who I agree with you, showed promise when he played last year.  I hope our starting defensive tackles are Ogunjobi and Brantley.

7 minutes ago, CBrownsman said:

I hope Brantley makes a leap, I'll be honest, I don't know what the browns see in Coley or why he started last year over Ogunjobi who I agree with you, showed promise when he played last year.  I hope our starting defensive tackles are Ogunjobi and Brantley.

Agreed, I wasn’t impressed as much as the coaching staff was apparently.  

Hopefully a year under his belt makes Brantley the clear choice opposite Ogunjobi. 

16 minutes ago, CBrownsman said:

So I'll be honest, I never understood why he wasn't better against the pass.  He was disrupting the run because he was very consistently in the backfield, was it just that he couldn't get that penetration on passing downs? or too slow to run down the QB after getting the penetration?  It also didn't help that QB's got he ball off incredibly quick against us i suppose.

He just looked slow to me.  I think part of the reason he got in the backfield so much was that we run-blitzed A LOT.  He is definitely a good run defender, but it's not because he's quick imo.  He's very difficult to block with one OL on run plays, but more easily handled on passing plays.

1 hour ago, ReggieCamp said:

He just looked slow to me.  I think part of the reason he got in the backfield so much was that we run-blitzed A LOT.  He is definitely a good run defender, but it's not because he's quick imo.  He's very difficult to block with one OL on run plays, but more easily handled on passing plays.

Yeah he doesn’t change direction terribly well.

Wash him out a bit and he’s not redirecting himself and getting to the QB in the time it takes most QB’s to get rid of the ball.

2 hours ago, CBrownsman said:

Penetration against a lineman charging at you to run block is a different animal than penetrating against a lineman falling back in pass protection, to an extent.

9 hours ago, CBrownsman said:

I thought Coley looked solid, but unspectacular. I would say Ogunjobi and Brantley have much more potential, but Coley will still be good to have as depth.

7 hours ago, Fatgerman said:

Penetration against a lineman charging at you to run block is a different animal than penetrating against a lineman falling back in pass protection, to an extent.

I always like your stories about different animals and penetration.

2 hours ago, Thomas5737 said:

I always like your stories about different animals and penetration.

"Keep them moderately on topic" webby said. "Keep the forum family friendly" webby said. "It won't be that hard, they're all semi-rational semi-adults" webby said...

Archived