Indians acquire Brad Hand

zelbell

1 hour ago, MWil23 said:

When you’re ready to play and be successful while it’s in your best interests as a businessman.

Best case scenario right now is as a platoon player with Naquin or as a fill in for an injured Chissenhall.

No chance missing years or reps at such an intricate position gives him that flexibility. Zero chance.

It’s almost like he knows he’s the best prospect in the game and will get his chance to prove it, stay there, and make millions more in the long run...maybe even short run.

Oh I know that. It just gets upset because with how bad the outfield is, he could of been a starter for the Indians and not just a platoon player. If he is as good as a hitter everyone projects, they would live  with his learning curve. 

Short term, he can def make more money, long term, not so sure, prolly could have a longer career as an outfield because he won’t have to worry about knee issues as he gets later in his career. 

Its all moot tho. I was hoping to see him make it with this franchise but lll take trading for a legit stud over potential stud prospect. 

I just hope they make another move for outfield help. That is part of the reason I wish Mejia could have made the move because the Indians need so much help there. Just glad the Indians are in the position they are in now. They are set up to make a run but also have a record that allows them to be ahead of their competition when players start to get waived and they get first dibs

I like the trade for both teams. helps the Indians now and Padres later. I heard the coaching staff and Mejia weren't seeing eye to eye and a "divorce" was going be best for both parties in the near future... that being said they got 2 key bullpen pieces that can help them win a WS now and are under contract for what 8 yrs between them. one has 3 yrs and 1 has 5.  prob when hand is a FA Mejia may not even be playing Catcher for SD. 

5 hours ago, flyguy1609 said:

I like the trade for both teams. helps the Indians now and Padres later. I heard the coaching staff and Mejia weren't seeing eye to eye and a "divorce" was going be best for both parties in the near future... that being said they got 2 key bullpen pieces that can help them win a WS now and are under contract for what 8 yrs between them. one has 3 yrs and 1 has 5.  prob when hand is a FA Mejia may not even be playing Catcher for SD. 

This is a solid post.

I get the argument from the guys saying Mejia is an elite catching prospect and an overpay here, and tools-wise, you are right! He has awesome tools for a catcher his age and I think it's totally possible that in 5 years he develops into a Posey level offensive catcher (300+ avg. with 14-20 HRs a year).

But you guys gotta listen to the people who are reporting what they're hearing from local sources as well. Because we as couch scouts just don't have the kind of inside info that teams have on certain things here. And there have been disconcerting signs regarding Mejia and the organization for more than a year now. Including chatter that his communication, pitch framing, and game calling are stalling out and he doesn't seem interested in improving there.

I get that his tools are incredible. But ignoring internal chatter from a GOOD developmental organization because of his tools isn't a great idea. Maybe being in a more hispanic area helps him out a lot (as the language barrier has stayed a harder hurdle for him than it is for many LA prospects). And maybe he turns into everything we hope he can be. But I think it's prideful to act like we couldn't possibly be wrong about him. Especially when the concerns are coming from an organization that has made a living the last few years being right about guys that we as prospect hounds were wrong about (trading for Kluber and Clevinger when their value was low, valuing Jose Ramirez as a top prospect when he was thought of as organizational filler, etc.)

On 7/19/2018 at 8:00 PM, Bonanza23 said:

As far as the last part, how do we know what is even out there as far as trades?  Maybe there wasn’t anything else on the table. Maybe those prices were a lot higher than we gave up. Trade price seems really high right now. I guess if anybody else gets moved we’ll see, I guess?

https://nypost.com/2018/07/21/here-are-the-as-prospects-mets-are-getting-for-jeurys-familia/

7 minutes ago, FEARtheELF said:

Typically a 2.5 month rental vs players with 3 and 5 years of control fetch something different lol

1. What happened to going for NOW and not worrying about the future

2. Familia is better than Hand

3. As stated before team control of relievers is not a plus. Too volatile a position. And certainly not a difference to go from top 20 org guy to top 5 overall guy

4. Whether Hand should fetch more isn't the point. The point was that there were other options that didn't involve trading Mejia. And not requiring MORE than Mejia.

Archived