Indians acquire Brad Hand

zelbell

6 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

I mean tbh they have the best catching prospect in at least 5 years, maybe 10 and they can't find a spot for him. That's really dumb.

Well they also have a catcher on the team now who was an All-Star...?

5 minutes ago, FEARtheELF said:

Well they also have a catcher on the team now who was an All-Star...?

Neither Yan Gomes nor Roberto Perez should be blocking the best catching prospect of the better part of a decade. That's like trading Carlos Correa because you have Marcus Semien.

11 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

I mean tbh they have the best catching prospect in at least 5 years, maybe 10 and they can't find a spot for him. That's really dumb.

I agree completely.

At worst, he should be the backup C & been part of the DH rotation...But Roberto Perez is a Tito Favorite and he alone is to blame.  

Just now, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Yan Gomes should be blocking the best catching prospect of the better part of a decade. That's like trading Carlos Correa because you have Marcus Semien.

It's been like 4 years since we've had anything that could be considered above average offensively at the position.  Don't see that changing anytime soon now. 

Just now, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Yan Gomes should be blocking the best catching prospect of the better part of a decade. That's like trading Carlos Correa because you have Marcus Semien.

Problem is the Indians didnt like his game behind the plate. He has said he struggles with in game management and adjustments. If he was with the Indians, I dont think his future was ever behind the plate.

They wanted him to move to the outfield and he wanted no part of it.

7 minutes ago, flyers0909 said:

Gomes is also 31 and is a good player because of the defense he has left, not his bat.  

And that is why he is there. There has been an emphasis on the importance of defense and game management behind that plate. It is probably the main reason Mejia didnt play

4 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

And tbh, none of this really matters. Meija is early 20's, 70 bat, good defensive catcher. Play that guy. End of conversation.

That was my point.  Gomes was an "All Star" because of his defense and a decent bat this year.  At 31, that defense could start to go (if it hasn't already) as early as next season.  Mejia's skillset and timeline was the perfect transition for the position.  The next few years is pretty bleak at the position now. 

Cimber is a really solid reliever too, so let's not just categorize him as a throw-in.  And he's under control for 5 years after this one, so there's a good bit of value there.  

But even with that said, it's painful to deal a prospect of Mejia's caliber for relievers that aren't in that tippy-top tier.

Archived