What team that EVERYONE thinks is absolutely AWFUL right now will MAKE THE PLAYOFFS this year?

VanS

You know this happens every year in the NFL.   Last year it was the Rams.  Almost everyone had them among the 3-5 worst teams in the NFL going into 2017.  They then start the season off lighting everyone up offensively and made the playoffs.  At this time last year I didn't see anyway they would have been as good as they turned out to be but it somehow happened.  With the NFL, we see this every year.  A team almost everyone thinks will be awful ends up being great and makes the playoffs.  So who will it be this year?

For the record, this does not mean a team like the Chargers who didn't make the playoffs last year and has a fair bit of hype this year.  Or the Texans who had lots of injuries and a lot of people like this year because those guys will presumably be back healthy.  I'm talking teams like the Colts, Jets, Bills, etc.  Teams with lots of question marks all across the roster right now which very few think will get them anywhere close to the playoffs.

My pick is the CINCINATTI BENGALS.  Really like how they have drafted the last 2 years.  I think Joe Mixon is in for a monster season.  He could lead the league in rushing.  Also think Andy Dalton and AJ Green will have one last hurrah in the playoffs.

I have a few. 

Jets - I really love Darnold for OROY. Remember last year everyone thought this team would go 0-16 and they went 5-11 and lost a lot of winnable games. If Darnold can get going. I would not be surprised if this is a WC team. 

Bucs - I don't know if they count but a lot of people have them as a top 5 draft pick team. Like the Jets. They also lost a lot of close games last year. They lost 7 games by 6 points or less last year along with the injury plague. They could of easily been an 8-9 win team. The o-line and run game should be improved and I love the defense. The front 7 could be top 5 and the secondary should be average at best. One of the reasons the secondary was so bad was the lack of pass-rush. If Winston can improve with the weapons that he has. I would not be surprised if they take their division. Also the NFC South is a very unpredictable, crazy division. The Bucs are really good about predicting people wrong when they are predicted to do bad. See 2005, 2007 and 2010. 

Giants - This was another team banged up last year with injuries. One of the things that has hurt Eli the last few years is the absence of an offensive line and run game. If Saquon can be good as advertised and the o-line new editions can contribute along with OBJ coming back. This team has a shot. I also like the defense to bounce back. People forget this was a playoff team 2 years ago. 

21 minutes ago, VanS said:

You know this happens every year in the NFL.   Last year it was the Rams.  Almost everyone had them among the 3-5 worst teams in the NFL going into 2017.  They then start the season off lighting everyone up offensively and made the playoffs.  At this time last year I didn't see anyway they would have been as good as they turned out to be but it somehow happened.  With the NFL, we see this every year.  A team almost everyone thinks will be awful ends up being great and makes the playoffs.  So who will it be this year?

For the record, this does not mean a team like the Chargers who didn't make the playoffs last year and has a fair bit of hype this year.  Or the Texans who had lots of injuries and a lot of people like this year because those guys will presumably be back healthy.  I'm talking teams like the Colts, Jets, Bills, etc.  Teams with lots of question marks all across the roster right now which very few think will get them anywhere close to the playoffs.

My pick is the MIAMI DOLPHINS.  I honestly have no logical reasons for picking them.  I'm not that high on their talent level across the roster.  I'm not a fan of Ryan Tannehill.  And yet for some reason I have a feeling they surprise people this year and make the playoffs.   Don't ask me how, I just have a feeling they'll do it.

I thought the Rams would win 10 games last year. But I do get what you mean. The majority of people thought the Rams would be in rebuilding mode with the youngest HC in NFL history and a QB who was the second youngest starting QB last year plus many people was so low on Goff till I’m sure they thought Kizer had a brighter future than him.

As for this season, I can’t for certain think a bad team WILL make the playoffs but I’m buying into the Giants. They struggled because of bad coaching and injuries. They had a bad oline and no run game. I think Eli is competent with Barkley, OBJ, Shepard, and Engram on offense plus the oline will be improved. The defense will be better than last year as well. I think the Giants will be knocking on the door for a WC spot. The only reason I don’t think they will make the playoffs is because the NFCE is going to be brutal plus the NFC as a whole is going to be brutal. 

49 minutes ago, VanS said:

My pick is the MIAMI DOLPHINS.  I honestly have no logical reasons for picking them.  I'm not that high on their talent level across the roster.  I'm not a fan of Ryan Tannehill.  And yet for some reason I have a feeling they surprise people this year and make the playoffs.   Don't ask me how, I just have a feeling they'll do it.

You could argue that, even with the loss of Landry and Suh, that the roster as a whole will be improved. And they went to the playoffs with Tannehill playing good football 2 seasons ago, his first year under Gase.

Bears - They have a ton of firepower on offense that no one is talking about. Allen Robinson, Jordan Howard, Tarik Cohen, Trey Burton, along with other solid role players. Now they actually have a coaching staff that cares about offense. A commentator said something last year that stuck with me. He pointed out how often the Bears had Trubisky under center despite him only taking one snap in college under center (QB sneak). I never understand coaches that try to jam square pegs into round holes. Watch for Trubisky to make a huge jump this year. I think they'll finish ahead of the Vikings in the North.

7 minutes ago, Art_Vandalay said:

Bears - They have a ton of firepower on offense that no one is talking about. Allen Robinson, Jordan Howard, Tarik Cohen, Trey Burton, along with other solid role players. Now they actually have a coaching staff that cares about offense. A commentator said something last year that stuck with me. He pointed out how often the Bears had Trubisky under center despite him only taking one snap in college under center (QB sneak). I never understand coaches that try to jam square pegs into round holes. Watch for Trubisky to make a huge jump this year. I think they'll finish ahead of the Vikings in the North.

As much as I like your enthusiasm for this team, I don't think I would classify them under this, because seems like the Bears are a sleeper pick in most people's eyes, so that kinda defeats the "everyone thinks is absolutely awful" premise. 

Well, Vegas gives the Redskins the 6th worst odds to win the SB at 75/1, so I guess we qualify.  I wouldn't be shocked at all if we made the playoffs this year.  I'm actually kind of expecting it if we maintain even a league average level of health.

Non-homer pick is the Bengals.  I think they can surprise this year.

So the 10 worst teams based on record last year were:

Cleveland

NYG

NYJ

Houston

Denver

Indy

TB

Chicago

SF

Oakland

The only 3 teams of this bunch that i'd be surprised to make the playoffs are Cleveland, NYG or NYJ. 

Houston is healthy and has their franchise QB

Denver has a good group of guys and got their QB

Indy, if Luck is back 100%, wouldnt surprise anyone to make the playoffs

TB is talented and had a good draft

Chicago's arrow is pointing up with MT going into year 2 with several new toys to throw to

SF has Jimmy G for a full season

Oakland, Carr should be healthy and therefore the offense could roll more smoothly.

The only other teams i'd add to the list would be Buffalo, because their QB situation is scary. 

So of the 4 teams listed, i think the best chance would be the Giants

4 hours ago, Jimmy Austin said:

Jets - I really love Darnold for OROY. Remember last year everyone thought this team would go 0-16 and they went 5-11 and lost a lot of winnable games. If Darnold can get going. I would not be surprised if this is a WC team.

Put me in this group, too. I like their S tandem with Adams and Maye managing the back end, Leonard Williams as a presence up from and Darnold elevating everyone in the offense to a higher level. I can see them slip into a 9-7 season with a WC appearance.

Tampa Bay is my next choice, but that Jameis suspension really sours my take on them.

I have to go with the Colts here.  Not because I actually think they are going to make the playoffs, but we're at the stage of the game where there are maybe five NFL teams I would describe as awful.  The Bills, the Jets, the Seahawks, the Colts and the Cardinals.  And of those five teams, I think the Colts have the best shot assuming Andrew Luck ever actually plays a game. 

5 hours ago, Jimmy Austin said:

I have a few. 

Bucs - I don't know if they count but a lot of people have them as a top 5 draft pick team. Like the Jets. They also lost a lot of close games last year. They lost 7 games by 6 points or less last year along with the injury plague. They could of easily been an 8-9 win team. The o-line and run game should be improved and I love the defense. The front 7 could be top 5 and the secondary should be average at best. One of the reasons the secondary was so bad was the lack of pass-rush. If Winston can improve with the weapons that he has. I would not be surprised if they take their division. Also the NFC South is a very unpredictable, crazy division. The Bucs are really good about predicting people wrong when they are predicted to do bad. See 2005, 2007 and 2010. 

Giants - This was another team banged up last year with injuries. One of the things that has hurt Eli the last few years is the absence of an offensive line and run game. If Saquon can be good as advertised and the o-line new editions can contribute along with OBJ coming back. This team has a shot. I also like the defense to bounce back. People forget this was a playoff team 2 years ago. 

I have them going to the playoffs as well but I feel like they have enough talent on the roster that if they do make it, most won't be surprised or at least they shouldn't be surprised.  There is still a ton of talent on that roster.  Winston might not be that great but they do have studs at the skill positions and their defense is loaded as well.  Sure people are hating on them right now because of the Jameis Winston suspension as well as the fact that they disappointed last year after being the trendy team everyone was picking in the off-season to win the NFC South, however, they do have a lot of talented players that if they make it to the playoffs most would say it wasn't that big of a surprise.

The 2018 Bucs actually remind me a lot of the 2017 Jaguars.  Remember in 2016 how much hype the Jaguars were getting?  Bortles had come off a pretty good season in 2015.  They had Allen Robinson emerge as a go-to-receiver.  The defense had just drafted Jalen Ramsey and signed a couple of stud free agents.  Many had them as a dark horse to win the division and make the playoffs.  But then the season started and they looked like the same ole Jaguars.  They fell flat on their faces.  In 2017 they had little to no buzz going into the season.  Most people were calling for Bortles to be benched or cut.  Everyone expected the same ole Jaguars and then they flipped a switch and turned it all around.  Bucs went through a similar thing last year.  Remember all the hype they were getting during the off-season.  They were on Hard Knocks, everyone was in love with Jameis Winston, they were a dark horse pick to win the NFC South.  Then the season started and they crashed.  Now this off-season they are getting no hype and have all sorts of questions.

I believe the 2018 Bucs have a turnaround season like the 2017 Jags.  I have them winning the NFC South and making the playoffs.  I don't know if it'll be with Jameis Winston as the starting QB.  Its possible Ryan Fitzpatrick plays well enough in those first 3 games to keep the job all year.  Nonetheless, I do agree with you about the Bucs making people look bad when they're predicted to do bad.  

5 hours ago, August4th said:

Bengals? not sure if people think they are awful tho

I like them as well.  But like the Bucs, they have a lot of recognizable talent on that roster that if they did make it to the playoffs, I don't think it would be too much of a shock. They've been there before so we know they're capable.  Its not like the Rams last year which had a rookie head coach and a 2nd year QB that just had one of the worst rookie seasons ever for a #1 pick.

5 hours ago, freak_of_nature said:

You could argue that, even with the loss of Landry and Suh, that the roster as a whole will be improved. And they went to the playoffs with Tannehill playing good football 2 seasons ago, his first year under Gase.

I loved their selection of Minkah Fitzpatrick in the first round.  I believe he wins Defensive Rookie of the Year this season and immediately looks like one of the best players in the NFL.  He's that good in my eyes.

5 hours ago, Art_Vandalay said:

I'm warming up the idea that the Bears might surprise.  I don't know about the playoffs but I can see them being 7-9/8-8 and being right there on cusp going into the final week of the season.  When talking about their offensive weapons, don't forget Anthony Miller (the 2nd round pick out of Memphis).  He was my second rated WR in the draft last year after Antonio Callaway.  I believe he has a chance to be a Pro-Bowl caliber player down the road and could challenge Allen Robinson for the #1 WR spot on the team as early as this season.

Also on defense I really like Eddie Jackson.  He was a guy who impressed me the most on that Alabama defense in 2016.  And that's saying a lot considering how many guys they had drafted high over the last couple of years.  I could see him leading the league in INTs next year and being a Pro-Bowler.  He's a big time ball hawk.

Archived