What team that EVERYONE thinks is absolutely AWFUL right now will MAKE THE PLAYOFFS this year?

VanS

2 hours ago, HTTRG3Dynasty said:

So you take one example outside of the Rams 2017 season and think that's enough evidence to make your claim?

Its not just one example. Its the one example that I am familiar with. I am sure if I really looked into those other examples, I will find similar results. Like in general its not hard to figure out. The Eagles, Rams, Jaguars, and Patriots were beating teams by over a touchdown per game last year. They werent in many close games. Outside of the Patriots (who still has Belichick and Brady), hasnt lost much in terms of significant pieces. Logic would tell me that they were dominant. So why all of a sudden a team that was dominant last year, barring injuries, are going to take a step back unless they loss alot of key pieces? I know people will use the logic of teams have figured out the Rams and the Rams arent sneaking up on teams anymore. That is writing your own narrative. I could write the narrative of, if the Rams can do what they did in Year 1 of McVay, just think of what they can do with another season under him and the chemistry that a bunch of new pieces built together. I could also say that if the new pieces worked so fast Year 1 then what stops me from thinking the new pieces this year cant work together the same way. Like if we are going to write narratives. All narratives aside, the Rams showed last season that they arent going to be a one year wonder. They didnt win alot of close games. Their games wasnt fluky. They check most boxes in terms of talent and coaching. They have a savy GM who knows what he is doing and an owner who is willing to spend and do whatever it takes to build a winner. All I am saying is the Rams since getting away from Fisher, they finally have a bright future and they arent going anywhere. I dont think of them as a one hit wonder just like I dont think of the Eagles or the Jaguars as one hit wonders. When the Seahawks drafted Wilson and built a great team around him with Carroll and I didnt think of them as one hit wonders. The second the Niners got rid of Singletary and brought Harbaugh on board and started build a great team around Smith/Kaepernick I didnt think of them as one hit wonders. It just somethings you can see a mile away. I even told my friend who is part Niners and part Saints fan. He was so skeptical about the Niners being good. I told him, the signing of Harbaugh will turn the Niners around quickly and they wont be bad again. They wasnt bad until Harbaugh left. Now they brought in Shanny which they will start to be good again. 

14 hours ago, HTTRG3Dynasty said:

I'm still failing to see where you backed up your claim that point differential "the biggest indicator of a team having success one season to another"?

Ill just say this, if you are still failing to see my point then maybe its not meant for you to see it. Its ok though because we all are different and heck there are things it took me awhile to realize and some things I still dont get. So I understand. 

11 minutes ago, stl4life07 said:

Ill just say this, if you are still failing to see my point then maybe its not meant for you to see it. Its ok though because we all are different and heck there are things it took me awhile to realize and some things I still dont get. So I understand. 

xD

On 7/19/2018 at 8:51 PM, Crickett said:

I have to go with the Colts here.  Not because I actually think they are going to make the playoffs, but we're at the stage of the game where there are maybe five NFL teams I would describe as awful.  The Bills, the Jets, the Seahawks, the Colts and the Cardinals.  And of those five teams, I think the Colts have the best shot assuming Andrew Luck ever actually plays a game. 

The Colts have no defense.  They had one of the worst overall rosters in the NFL last year.  I think teams will regularly put up 30+ points on them this season.  If you remotely believe that Houston and the Jags are real and will improve then I just can't see a path for the Colts that does not involve Brady, Roethlisberger, Rivers and Mahomes, Bortles and Watson  going down to injury early.

If you believe that they were one OG away from contenting with Luck playing then more power to you.  I think they will be the #4 team in the division.  They need some more high draft picks to rebuild that team following Grigson .

58 minutes ago, jebrick said:

The Colts have no defense.  They had one of the worst overall rosters in the NFL last year.  I think teams will regularly put up 30+ points on them this season.  If you remotely believe that Houston and the Jags are real and will improve then I just can't see a path for the Colts that does not involve Brady, Roethlisberger, Rivers and Mahomes, Bortles and Watson  going down to injury early.

If you believe that they were one OG away from contenting with Luck playing then more power to you.  I think they will be the #4 team in the division.  They need some more high draft picks to rebuild that team following Grigson .

A healthy Luck I am not betting against. As much as I really like the Jags, they went 4-0 against the Texans and Colts minus Luck and Watson. Luck has shown the ability to carry the Colts team to success. Thats why I am so optimistic about the Colts myself in the AFC to be contenders for a wildcard spot.

8 hours ago, jebrick said:

Which of those other four teams do you think has a better chance? 

1 hour ago, Crickett said:

Which of those other four teams do you think has a better chance? 

The Titians, Jags and Texans all have much better teams than the Colts.  The Colts have Hooker on defense and that is it.    They have no decent CB or DL.  They drafted 4 LBs and I'll bet 2 of them start.  The Oline has improved by a single OG.  The RT is horrible and Castonzo should be playing RT but he is stuck at LT because they have nothing.  Grigson just killed the team as GM.  They need talent in so many areas.

I look at their schedule and can see them beating the Jets and the Bills.  Perhaps they beat the Titians once.  Perhaps Miami and the Bengals.  I think 6 wins is about right and 8 wins would be an outstanding season.  I just do not see how they get there.

4 minutes ago, jebrick said:

The Titians, Jags and Texans all have much better teams than the Colts.  The Colts have Hooker on defense and that is it.    They have no decent CB or DL.  They drafted 4 LBs and I'll bet 2 of them start.  The Oline has improved by a single OG.  The RT is horrible and Castonzo should be playing RT but he is stuck at LT because they have nothing.  Grigson just killed the team as GM.  They need talent in so many areas.

I look at their schedule and can see them beating the Jets and the Bills.  Perhaps they beat the Titians once.  Perhaps Miami and the Bengals.  I think 6 wins is about right and 8 wins would be an outstanding season.  I just do not see how they get there.

I meant which of the five teams from my initial post.

On 7/19/2018 at 8:51 PM, Crickett said:

I have to go with the Colts here.  Not because I actually think they are going to make the playoffs, but we're at the stage of the game where there are maybe five NFL teams I would describe as awful.  The Bills, the Jets, the Seahawks, the Colts and the Cardinals.  And of those five teams, I think the Colts have the best shot assuming Andrew Luck ever actually plays a game. 

This thread is asking which team that EVERYONE thinks is absolutely AWFUL right now will MAKE THE PLAYOFFS this year.  Looking at the rest of the NFL aside from those five teams, there are no teams I would describe as awful.  Eventually teams will start losing players to injury, father time will catch up with veterans, rookies will underperform and players will fail to return to form from 2017.  Additional teams will eventually look AWFUL.  But they don't yet, at least not on paper.  

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/19/2018 at 9:17 PM, VanS said:

I like them as well.  But like the Bucs, they have a lot of recognizable talent on that roster that if they did make it to the playoffs, I don't think it would be too much of a shock. They've been there before so we know they're capable.  Its not like the Rams last year which had a rookie head coach and a 2nd year QB that just had one of the worst rookie seasons ever for a #1 pick.

On second thought, it looks like most people think the Bengals will be bad this year.

I saw that Vegas has them as 3 point underdogs to the Colts on the road.  That's the equivalent of a toss-up game on the road.

If Vegas thinks the Bengals are as bad as the Colts then expectations are low enough for them that I changed my pick to them in this thread.

Upside Teams

NYG - D is still solid and they went all in with a RB early and OL this offseason.  They could bounce back.

INDY - Luck is a huge boost but overall their squad is pretty bad.  Still the AFC is wide open though and Luck is good enough to carry even a bad team like INDY

DEN - If QB is average they should be in the hunt with a very capable defense still

NYJ - Played a ton of close games last year and if their OL plays better and Darnold steps up they could surprise.  A lot rides on Darnold.

HOU - D is still solid and if Watson wasn't a one hit wonder they could be back.  Must admit I don't love Watson though but he'll be good enough.

SF - Love me some Jimmy G.  I think he's the next big thing at QB and he'll need to be with that defense holding them back

Underachievers

CHI - Don't love Mitchell and don't see them making noise in a tough division even with all those FA additions

CLE - Still another year away from being a real playoff contender but like their direction

ARI - Their OL issues are going to be too much to overcome for their slow footed QB's. 

BUF - QB situation is not good and that will kill them this year

MIA - Overall they have weaknesses all over the place on both sides.  I think Tannehill is solid QB but they are transitioning I think

Archived