What team that EVERYONE thinks is absolutely AWFUL right now will MAKE THE PLAYOFFS this year?

VanS

On 7/19/2018 at 7:47 PM, ET80 said:

Put me in this group, too. I like their S tandem with Adams and Maye managing the back end, Leonard Williams as a presence up from and Darnold elevating everyone in the offense to a higher level. I can see them slip into a 9-7 season with a WC appearance.

Sticking by this. Darnold is inching his way into man-crush status.

I didn't predict the Rams to be that good but I could see it potentially happening. Talked about how it could be similar to 1999 before the season.

It's the Browns.

Rams had a complete bust at QB and a rookie HC. The Browns have a complete bust at HC and a rookie QB.

Rams brought in a complete overhaul at WR - Watkins/Woods/Kupp, a midround rookie who played very well. The Browns also overhauled and will have Landry, Gordon (he was a Brown but wasn't playing much, if at all the past few years for them), and Calloway.

Browns also brought in Hyde and Chubb, whereas the Rams already had Gurley.

Both teams had talent already on defense. Browns OL had more talent than the Rams, although we brought in Whitworth.

Nobody sees the Browns as doing anything -- I myself will be "going out on a limb" just to predict them to go 9-7 and finish 2nd in the AFC North. I can't possibly see how they can be better than the Steelers or Ravens right now - but last season, I couldn't possibly see how the Rams could be better than Seattle or Arizona - and even those are fairly good comparisons. The Seahawks were actually picked to go to the super bowl by some people last year and had been a perennial contender - like Pittsburgh. The Cardinals were a difficult team to figure, but had talent and some QB issues - like Baltimore.

I’d say cases could be made for the NYG, the Seahawks, Dallas, Cleveland (I think they have the talent to be a fringe playoff team), and possibly Denver.

But my #1 guess for worst-to-first team this year would be Indy.  There’s a lot of what-ifs with this team, but if Luck is still Luck they will win 10 games this year and contend for the AFC South title.  It all just comes down to a surgically repaired shoulder and should be fascinating to watch.

I see the Texans getting in, but I don't consider them "awful right now" so they're irrelevant to the thread title IMO.  Only reason they were so bad last year was because of Watson's injury and most people fully expect them to be a good team with him back on the field. 

The "awful" teams right now would be: The Bengals, Browns, Colts, Seahawks, Bears, Dolphins, Bills, and Jets (could throw in the Giants and Cowboys based on last year but I don't consider either of them awful right now).  Of those teams I could make a serious case for the Colts (Luck) and the Seahawks (Wilson), but I would lean to the Colts just because the Seahawks are such a massive mess right now outside of Wilson.

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/13/2018 at 8:28 AM, ET80 said:
On 7/19/2018 at 7:47 PM, ET80 said:

Put me in this group, too. I like their S tandem with Adams and Maye managing the back end, Leonard Williams as a presence up from and Darnold elevating everyone in the offense to a higher level. I can see them slip into a 9-7 season with a WC appearance.

Sticking by this. Darnold is inching his way into man-crush status.

Still on this. Darnold and Watson will be vying for the throne once Brady retires.

You all know how I feel about Watson, so understand - this is the highest praise I could give to a young QB.

24 minutes ago, VanS said:

Bengals with be this year's Rams.  I expect them to have a huge season and challenge Pittsburgh in the AFC North.

Look for them to destroy the Colts this Sunday. 

For once... I don't disagree with you. :D

Joe Mixon is going to be the engine behind a new offense that could win through the air, but will work through a balanced run game with Mixon getting a ton of work. Andy Dalton will be asked to manage the game, he will get to pick his spots with AJ and John Ross.

Granted - just like the Rams, they won't win a playoff game, but they'll be improved.

32 minutes ago, ET80 said:

For once... I don't disagree with you. :D

Joe Mixon is going to be the engine behind a new offense that could win through the air, but will work through a balanced run game with Mixon getting a ton of work. Andy Dalton will be asked to manage the game, he will get to pick his spots with AJ and John Ross.

Granted - just like the Rams, they won't win a playoff game, but they'll be improved.

I think they're going to have trouble running the ball, and you'll see Dalton throwing a lot.  Mixon will be a huge factor in the short passing game though.  The offense should still be much improved over last year though.  The pass blocking is better, and there are more weapons for Dalton to throw to this year.

14 minutes ago, theJ said:

I think they're going to have trouble running the ball, and you'll see Dalton throwing a lot.  Mixon will be a huge factor in the short passing game though.  The offense should still be much improved over last year though.  The pass blocking is better, and there are more weapons for Dalton to throw to this year.

Really? I thought there was an improvement on the IOL over with Cincy. You're thinking it's all pass protection?

You're 10x the expert on the Bengals, so I'll defer to you. I did use my existing belief to draft Joe Mixon in fantasy, so ...you know, no pressure.

8 minutes ago, ET80 said:

Really? I thought there was an improvement on the IOL over with Cincy. You're thinking it's all pass protection?

You're 10x the expert on the Bengals, so I'll defer to you. I did use my existing belief to draft Joe Mixon in fantasy, so ...you know, no pressure.

The preseason run blocking was less than impressive.  

I think they'll be better than 2017, and I think Mixon and Gio are good enough runners to make up for some of the bad blocking, but ultimately i think they'll end up around the 25-40% percentile in terms of rushing yards.

And yes, the pass blocking was much improved in the preseason.

We'll see how that carries over to the regular season.

Seahawks, and Bengals.

More people seem to like the Bengals now though after the preseason.  In the offseason I think the Bengals had the worst odds of any team in the league to win the SB, but the tide seems to be changing.  Seahawks, a lot of fans are still hating on because of all the losses on that defense.  Still I think Russell Wilson can make some noise with the current squad...

4 hours ago, VanS said:

Bengals with be this year's Rams.  I expect them to have a huge season and challenge Pittsburgh in the AFC North.

Look for them to destroy the Colts this Sunday. 

I see them destroying the colts but I think their defense is garbage. At least garbage enough that will won’t help them compete with the Steelers

2 hours ago, buno67 said:

I see them destroying the colts but I think their defense is garbage. At least garbage enough that will won’t help them compete with the Steelers

You're crazy.  They could have one of the best defenses in the NFL this year.  Their defensive line is talented and deep.  Carl Lawson and Geno Atkins look like Pro Bowlers.  And their secondary has one of the best corner tandems in the league in William Jackson III and Dre Kirkpatrick.  Two more Pro Bowlers.

I'll be shocked if they're not top 10 in the league on defense in 2018.

Archived