• Sony Michel
    • Rex Burkhead
    • James White
    • Mike Gillisee
    • Jeremy Hill
    • Brandon Bolden
    • Ralph Webb

Who is going to start?

At the beginning of the season? Burkhead. I'm not crazy about it because he seems like a jack of all trades master of none type back. Pretty good runner and pretty good receiver = pretty good running back. I'd like have someone better than pretty good. On the plus side the way to compensate for this is that we have a variety of other pretty good running backs that we can switch to depending on different situations to maximize their strengths. I think Hill and Michel could take over depending how quickly they learn the offense. 

Who is the power/goal-line back?

I'm giving the edge to Mike Gillislee over Burkhead because think he's simply a stronger runner. 

Is James White more than a passing back? Can anyone take that spot from him?

No to both. I don't think he has enough power to be the featured back. The next closest competitor would be Burkhead but I flat out don't think he's as good as a receiving threat as White is. As talented as Michel is he would need a lot more experience before he could take over as the main 3rd down passing back. 

On a side note Brandon Bolden is a lock due to being so good on special teams.

38 minutes ago, DoleINGout said:

Shelton is showing positive signs that he can at least be adequate as a run defender, unsurprisingly.

Danny was my draft binkie that year. I loved him coming out and I was so devastated when his stock rightfully rose out of the Patriots reach. Jazzed to see him on the Patriots now, hoping he gets locked up long-term at some point. 

Sony Michel, James White and Rex Burkhead are locks, assuming full health. I think Brandon Bolden makes it based on his special teams ability and overall versatility. At this point, I’d say Jeremy Hill has a better chance than Mike Gillislee at making the roster as a fifth running back. That’s partially because Gillislee just has so much trouble staying healthy. I don’t think the Patriots necessarily need to keep five running backs, but it would be a nice luxury to have given Burkhead’s injury history.

https://nesn.com/2018/08/patriots-mailbag-which-former-longshot-has-best-chance-to-crack-roster/

• 2 weeks later...
On 20/07/2018 at 5:15 PM, Deadpulse said:

Training Camp and the season are just around the corner. Lets get football discussion going again

@dhunt2402 @Hunter2_1 @TomRalph @I_GET_SAX @1ForTheThumb @DoleINGout @Troy Brown @Yin-Yang @AlNFL19 @nextsuperstar1 @Starless @LD696 @ChazStandard @jofos @Elky @SBLIII @Spooky @bluemushrooms @The Third Rider @Nex_Gen @goldfishwars @mission27 @mcmurtry86 @redsoxsrule1437 @everlong @iothar @tonyto36 @atmer @PatriotsWin! @Pats#1 @lancerman @GoldenboyDB12 @biggbrd @ICB @Iron_man @InRodWeRust

So RB should be an interesting position to follow for the following reason's:

Who is going to start?

Will the rookie bust into camp and earn the first tote of every game? Will James White bust out of his passing back role and become an all around back? Will Rex Burkhead, IMO the defacto #1 option heading into camp, tighten his grip on the feature back role? Will one of Mikey G and Jeremy Hill come in strong?WILL RALPH WEBB SURPRISE EVERYONE! Basically what I am getting at is that as usual, the roles are wide open.

Who is the power/goal-line back?

I feel like Michel could be in ever discussion, but to me this question comes down to Burkhead, Mikey G, and Jeremy Hill. 

Is James White more than a passing back? Can anyone take that spot from him?

So this one is two fold. We all saw Rexy showcase a passing game affinity. Could he eclipse White and become the all around guy with White and Michel playing back up/change of pace? Can White finally show more getting the hand off? If so, how does that effect the other guys vying for spots? Does it make them less valuable?

To me, the locks to make the roster are:

Rex Burkhead - most used RB from last season on the roster, resigned to a decent deal

Sony Michel - drafted in the first round

James White - entrenched in the passing back role, has Brady's trust

I think Gillisee and Jeremy Hill are competing for the same spot. Brandon Bolden is likely competing with both this group and anyone else trying to carve out a ST role. Ralph Webb remains the longest of shots.

Yeah those are my locks too

I think Burkhead will continue getting the most work. I think if Michel is fit all season, he'll be a ROTY candidate - I am fantasising about him in space behind our athletic linemen. White more than just a passing back, and Tom likes him, but probably an even more reduced role if Michel and Burkhead healthy all season.

I also expect the running game to be more of a factor for us offensively this year

2 hours ago, bluemushrooms said:

Just keep 'em all boys.  We don't need WR's or QB's.

:(  How do we keep Hill, Bolden, White, Burkhead, Michel, and Webb 

Easy! 

Cut Bolden and Webb (or PS the latter).

• 2 weeks later...
9 minutes ago, bMiller031 said:

Broncos fan visiting as I drafted Hill at the tail-end of my FFB auction draft last night. 

Any chance he becomes Belichick's guy this season by default? or should I cut bait and look elsewhere?  

I am gonna go with the tried and true response here; no NE RB is worth owning in fantasy.

As of now, the depth chart is likely as follows:

Rexburkhead

James White

Sony Michel

Jeremy Hill

Brandon Bolden

MAYBE you could flip flop Hill with Michel. Here's the kicker though, I bet Hill has a 3 TD game this year. I also bet he has a 100 yard game this year. I also bet he sees games where he doesn't dress or doesn't receive a carry. Thats how the role of RB has been here for a long time. There isnt usually a hot hand. There isnt usually defined roles. There are weekly game plans, and each back will play depending on how much they fit the gameplan that week. 

3 hours ago, bMiller031 said:

Broncos fan visiting as I drafted Hill at the tail-end of my FFB auction draft last night. 

Any chance he becomes Belichick's guy this season by default? or should I cut bait and look elsewhere?  

Hill, if he makes the team, will have 1...maybe two games where he’s a fantasy stud. He’ll also have several getting less than ~5 carries. 

Don't draft NE running backs.

Saints signed Gillislee to their rotation. He and Boston Scott are going to be replacing some of Ingrams carries. Kamara didn't run any plays in preseason that suggested we're gonna try use him in Ingrams old role as much as some predicted, he just saw some zone runs and quick hits outside. 

I saw that a goal line back role would've been about the only way you guys saw him making your team, so I'm wondering if I should expect much if he's gonna be getting 5-10 carries a game. Looks like he was productive for the Bills for a couple years. How did you guys use him differently, or did something happen and he just sucks now? Does he play special teams? Does he play any FB?

Thanks gents.

1 hour ago, Dome said:

Saints signed Gillislee to their rotation. He and Boston Scott are going to be replacing some of Ingrams carries. Kamara didn't run any plays in preseason that suggested we're gonna try use him in Ingrams old role as much as some predicted, he just saw some zone runs and quick hits outside. 

I saw that a goal line back role would've been about the only way you guys saw him making your team, so I'm wondering if I should expect much if he's gonna be getting 5-10 carries a game. Looks like he was productive for the Bills for a couple years. How did you guys use him differently, or did something happen and he just sucks now? Does he play special teams? Does he play any FB?

Thanks gents.

Gillislee is a below average pass catcher, offers little with blocking (as a lead blocker or pass protector), but is a solid runner. He doesn’t fight through contact the way you’d want out of a back who is bigger than your pass catchers, but his vision is solid. If your OL is really opening up the defense, he’ll get his solid yardage. He’s a good goal line guy too, more so because he knows where to go and where to hit than him plowing through the LOS. IMO he’s best doing zone runes/stretches. 

Since he was picked up recently, I’m not sure he’ll get the carries right away. Week 2-4 maybe he’ll get those 5-10.

Archived