NFL’s New Anthem Protest Policy On Hold

fretgod99

The NFL and NFLPA have announced the policy, crafted by the NFL in May without consulting the NFLPA, will be put on hold. The follows yesterday’s brouhaha over the Dolphins voluntarily adding punishment criteria for such protests. Who possibly could have predicted that an employer subject to a collective bargaining agreement unilaterally implementing a policy to punish its employees would go over like a lead balloon full of bricks? I mean, who aside from anyone with a modicum of understanding regarding collective bargaining and employment issues. But other than that?

Regardless of how you feel about anthem protests, can we all marvel at how one of the most financially successful organizations on the planet is simultaneously also one of the most mind-bogglingly incompetent institutions known to man?

18 minutes ago, fretgod99 said:

The follows yesterday’s brouhaha over the Dolphins voluntarily adding punishment criteria for such protests.

Could've been easily posted in the Dolphins thread by anybody who wanted to look into the story instead of suggesting players walk out or stage a protest.

Sad!

Yea not that surprising. I don't mind players being dealt with in a behind doors policy, and blacklisting considering my feelings on the issue. But this thing I did agree was a bad idea from the start. Trying to be tough now in a public display will only make them look worse. 

Lol, should just stop making money with the DOD and keep the players inside the locker room during the national anthem; this will continue as an ongoing distraction for some of the players if they continue flip-flopping on the issue

1 hour ago, fretgod99 said:

Regardless of how you feel about anthem protests, can we all marvel at how one of the most financially successful organizations on the planet is simultaneously also one of the most mind-bogglingly incompetent institutions known to man?

Indeed

Impossible to make both sides happy, but they did find a way to make both sides unhappy.

Truly an impressive feat

2 minutes ago, Shanedorf said:

Impossible to make both sides happy, but they did find a way to make both sides unhappy.

Partly because neither 'side' can even articulate what they want the policy to look like.

It's Occupy Wall Street all over again - except with the NFLPA.

8 minutes ago, Bullet Club said:

If I never have to hear about this topic again I'll be a much happier person.

I agree.

I'm absolutely sick of it. I don't have a horse in the race. I'm as patriotic as the next guy but I fail to care if someone is kneeling for the anthem. Do I think you should? Sure. But I don't care if you don't. I'm there to watch football, not scour the sidelines looking for kneelers. We're at the point where people will be kneeling just to stick a finger to the league.

But this is a gold mine for the media so it won't go away. It doesn't help that the NFL completely botched this numerous times.

The NFL should just hold the anthem with the players in the locker room. You can have all the same recruiting tools with the flags, the soldiers, the music without the players.

11 minutes ago, jebrick said:

Stop playing the Anthem at games.

But muh country!!!! 

In actuality, I'm pretty tired of the over Americanization that sports have held onto post 9/11. I understood playing God Bless America during the 7th inning stretch of baseball games after 9/11 but it's been plenty long enough. It's just pandering. 

1 hour ago, Vikes_Bolts1228 said:

The NFL should just hold the anthem with the players in the locker room. You can have all the same recruiting tools with the flags, the soldiers, the music without the players.

The players are part of that advertisement. The shots are the flag or some soldiers, then a hard cut to JJ Watt or some other very marketable player looking pumped up. It's supposed to have the viewer associate the player's respect with joining the military. 

28 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

The players are part of that advertisement. The shots are the flag or some soldiers, then a hard cut to JJ Watt or some other very marketable player looking pumped up. It's supposed to have the viewer associate the player's respect with joining the military. 

This one happened at Lambeau years ago - but the Network never showed it because they were in commercial break making mo money instead

The only thing the owners care about is making mo money and that's why this issue has them flummoxed- because if they choose either side of the debate, they are alienating some of their customer$$. And that's why they've been so ham-handed throughout. They want to pander to everybody's wallet.

ba5d9589a83c73369a9ed01b8d645f28.jpg

It all comes back to money with strings attached for those of you wondering why the anthem is played.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/thinkprogress.org/nfl-dod-national-anthem-6f682cebc7cd/amp/

Disclaimer: This is an opinion piece which I am not approving or disapproving, but merely using for a dollars and cents explanation.

The US Military has given MILLIONS of dollars for anthem related things, such as flyover, performances, etc, hence why the NFL actually cares about protests. It has nothing to do with anything else.

Archived