TCMD - Forum Wide GM Mock Draft Discussion

ny92mike

4 minutes ago, squire12 said:

Part of the voting on picks IMO is the limited ability to set up a multi user message system.  If it was allowed to have the GM set up a closed thread or DM to multiple users that could have discussion and voting done without other team GM's popping in to see the specifics of the discussion.  

I feel this could be really easy to do in the google docs. Altough you want to get as much activity as possible on the forum itself. You don't want to give away which way you are going in the open and you probably don't have the time to discuss what you will be doing when you are actually on the clock so for a lot of the communication you will either face the risk of other people seeing the plans of you have to move the communication away from the forum to keep it more secret.

1 minute ago, MKnight82 said:

Landry had signed his non-exclusive franchise tag and the trade was announced March 9.

I don't recall the deadline for tender offer sheets to get submitted, but cutting it short of that deadline doesn't seem legit.  They must of known that Landry would be willing to get traded to another team.  Seems like a lot of money to risk if he wasn't.

I don't like the idea of allowing teams to tag and trade because it seems cheap to me.  Under the right structure I'd be cool with writing it into the guidelines.  I don't think a team should be allowed to trade a player immediately after tagging them for far less than what the tender offer amount requires a team to pay in compensation.  It'll just turn into one of those rules that gets abused, when irl it rarely takes place.   

5 minutes ago, Justone2 said:

I feel this could be really easy to do in the google docs. Altough you want to get as much activity as possible on the forum itself. You don't want to give away which way you are going in the open and you probably don't have the time to discuss what you will be doing when you are actually on the clock so for a lot of the communication you will either face the risk of other people seeing the plans of you have to move the communication away from the forum to keep it more secret.

I agree it can be done in several ways.  Offsite chat apps are easy enough.  I know the moderators can set up a group DM and message multiple people at once.  If there was a way to have a "secure" thread for members of a staff to post in and discuss the draft pick or FA player acquisition option among a large group of posters within a team warroom would serve many purposes.

2 minutes ago, ny92mike said:

I don't recall the deadline for tender offer sheets to get submitted, but cutting it short of that deadline doesn't seem legit.  They must of known that Landry would be willing to get traded to another team.  Seems like a lot of money to risk if he wasn't.

I don't like the idea of allowing teams to tag and trade because it seems cheap to me.  Under the right structure I'd be cool with writing it into the guidelines.  I don't think a team should be allowed to trade a player immediately after tagging them for far less than what the tender offer amount requires a team to pay in compensation.  It'll just turn into one of those rules that gets abused, when irl it rarely takes place.   

I mean Landry was traded for a 2018 4th and 2019 7th, far less than the two first round pick requirement.  This actually happened, there is a real world comparison.  

Also a potential idea for a structure of a staff for the draft. 

Let the coordinators and scouting personnel bring up a few names. Then let the head coach cut this list to guys he would like to see where in the end the GM will pick from that list. The OC and DC basically bring up guys for their side of the ball with the scouts having a bit more freedom. This makes the GM more in control but also limits him in what he can do by having to take the input of his FO into consideration. Just a quick thought so not really well worked out but it is another possibility for when the GM feels he wants to have a bit more control for the amount of time he has to put in.

5 minutes ago, Justone2 said:

In the past we used google docs to code the players that we were discussing, but docs also has a chat feature that we could use to provide each team the ability to communicate privately.  Moderators also have the ability to create group messages, I don't know how many names that can be added to the message but to keep traffic in the forum that could be an option.  

Personally, I don't really care if teams are using the forum or a google doc to communicate with their war room staff, we get enough traffic in the GM Mock Draft forum as it is.

Just now, MKnight82 said:

I mean Landry was traded for a 2018 4th and 2019 7th, far less than the two first round pick requirement.  This actually happened, there is a real world comparison.  

I understand what the picks were, which is why I was asking if it happened before or after the tender offer sheet deadline that requires a team to cough up two first rounders.

3 minutes ago, ny92mike said:

I understand what the picks were, which is why I was asking if it happened before or after the tender offer sheet deadline that requires a team to cough up two first rounders.

I'm not following what you're saying.  The deadline to franchise players was March 5th, Landry was designated with the non exclusive franchise tag prior to that date.  He was traded March 9th.  

4 minutes ago, Justone2 said:

Also a potential idea for a structure of a staff for the draft. 

Let the coordinators and scouting personnel bring up a few names. Then let the head coach cut this list to guys he would like to see where in the end the GM will pick from that list. The OC and DC basically bring up guys for their side of the ball with the scouts having a bit more freedom. This makes the GM more in control but also limits him in what he can do by having to take the input of his FO into consideration. Just a quick thought so not really well worked out but it is another possibility for when the GM feels he wants to have a bit more control for the amount of time he has to put in.

This is basically what I worked up for signing free agents.  The coordinators select a list of potential targets and the GM and HC can pick from the list they create.  I just know that the draft event of the mock can get frustrating when the GM is being outvoted on every pick.  It zaps the fun and energy right out of it.  

Allowing those that want to be involved more control of picking who they want rather than a collective puts a cool spin on things and removes the frustration of having to vote on every single thing.

Just now, MKnight82 said:

I'm not following what you're saying.  The deadline to franchise players was March 5th, Landry was designated with the non exclusive franchise tag prior to that date.  He was traded March 9th.  

The deadline date I'm referring to is the tender offer sheet.  Teams have a window of submitting offers to tagged and tendered players.  The team can either match or decline that offer.  If they decline to match the offer submitted by the other team, draft pick compensation is awarded to that team and the player is moved to the new team.

Just now, ny92mike said:

This is basically what I worked up for signing free agents.  The coordinators select a list of potential targets and the GM and HC can pick from the list they create.  I just know that the draft event of the mock can get frustrating when the GM is being outvoted on every pick.  It zaps the fun and energy right out of it.  

Allowing those that want to be involved more control of picking who they want rather than a collective puts a cool spin on things and removes the frustration of having to vote on every single thing.

The biggest challenge with things like this is that you don't want it to get too arcady or gamey but also want to keep it as fun as possible for everyone that plays a role. Balancing those two things is a really fine line and it is different for everybody. The way free agency works and how i propose for the draft can become frustrating for the coordinators/scouts but improves the experience for the GM and mimics a real situation closer i feel. The voting way you get more of a say as a part of the FO but it can become frustrating for the GM. Every GM is different and everyone that will be part of the FO will be different as well and looking for different experiences. Balancing those is a delicate thing and giving them a few guidelines for how they can run it is the best thing where in the end every team can pick and choose how they end up running the show.

8 minutes ago, ny92mike said:

The deadline date I'm referring to is the tender offer sheet.  Teams have a window of submitting offers to tagged and tendered players.  The team can either match or decline that offer.  If they decline to match the offer submitted by the other team, draft pick compensation is awarded to that team and the player is moved to the new team.

The only thing I can find date wise is that teams had until July 16th to reach a long term deal with their own tagged players.  I don't see why the date would be different for other teams offering a tendered player a deal.  Although RFAs had to decide whether to sign tenders until only April 19th.  Either way, Landry was traded just days after the tag was applied, it certainly appears he was traded before any such tender deadline.  

22 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

The only thing I can find date wise is that teams had until July 16th to reach a long term deal with their own tagged players.  I don't see why the date would be different for other teams offering a tendered player a deal.  Although RFAs had to decide whether to sign tenders until only April 19th.  Either way, Landry was traded just days after the tag was applied, it certainly appears he was traded before any such tender deadline.  

I just don't understand how they were able to bypass the offer sheet that required 2 first round picks as compensation.  The trade must have been agreed to by all parties, Dolphins, Browns and most importantly Landry.  Perhaps it has something to do with him signing the tag immediately after he was tagged, which would suggest he knew he was being traded.

The Landry deal happened so quick that they likely had everything worked out before hand and that Landry agreed with it all before ever being tagged or at least before signing the tagged agreement.

Like I was saying, while I'm not a fan of any form of tag and trade.  Doing it after the tender offer sheet deadline could be an option.

2 minutes ago, ny92mike said:

The Landry deal happened so quick that they likely had everything worked out before hand and that Landry agreed with it all before ever being tagged or at least before signing the tagged agreement.

Like I was saying, while I'm not a fan of any form of tag and trade.  Doing it after the tender offer sheet deadline could be an option.

When does the TCMD draft start in relation to your tender offer deadline?

Archived