TCMD - Forum Wide GM Mock Draft Discussion

ny92mike

4 hours ago, squire12 said:

Are you looking at re-doing much of the work books?  Or are they going to be similar?

I believe that you had mentioned trimming down some of them to make them a bit smaller.  

I tinker with them every year.

But only looking to make a few changes to the bidding system.  Mostly just formatting changes.

You looking to get involved?

2 hours ago, ny92mike said:

I know it's been almost a year since you all looked at this stuff, but is there anything you'd like added or fixed for this year?

I would like to see an ability to 'favorite' free agents and have them show up in a separate tab.  This might make it a little easier to organize thoughts.  I can also help look over workbooks or whatever you need, just send me a PM.

16 minutes ago, winitall said:

I would like to see an ability to 'favorite' free agents and have them show up in a separate tab.  This might make it a little easier to organize thoughts.  I can also help look over workbooks or whatever you need, just send me a PM.

Cool...I'll definitely take you up on that.

Thanks.

Alright men,

It's getting close to that time of year when I'm starting to get the workbooks set up for the offseason.

Looking for some help now for the set up as well as members interested in managing it.

If you're interested hit me up.  

@LuckyNumber11

@bcb1213

@SirA1

@NickChowaniec

@BringinDaPain

@winitall

@sparky151

@cortes02

@Desperado82

@BowserBroncos

@IDOG_det

@squire12

@jch1911

@Counselor

@IrishHooligan00

@samsel23

@ChaRisMa

@Fragafootball

@mountainpd

@PurpleMugen

@whodatOL

@Deadpulse

@KingOfTheDot

@daineraider

@EaglesPeteC

@davidderion

@Forge

@One Punch Man

@DTMW78

@USC_Fan

Mike, 

You know I'm in (Niners! Calling it now!). I can't really help with the workbooks outside of bouncing things ideas off me, but I have no problem with doing the commish thing again. Keep the same set up as last year and you, I and @EaglesPeteC can bounce various things off each other.

Anyway, I will be in Australia for a couple of weeks in Feb, so largely unavailable, but obviously that should be well before we actually start this thing. 

Glad to see others getting excited for this too.  I've been ready to do this since the start of the season.

The Giants front office has really let me down this year.

@Forge I've got you down as the commish.  Awesome job last year.

Seems like every year, we have some issues with calculating the highest bid in free agency.  So I'm making this a priority to get it right this year.  

I'm thinking if we limit the UFA offers to not exceed the amount of available funds, that it would prevent or at least slow the excessive spending on players.  We all remember the Nate Solder contract last season.  

• How it works
    • You cannot exceed the teams available cap within the total of the 3 UFA bids.  In the past, you couldn't exceed the cap on a single UFA bid.

Also would like feedback on providing either a flag, that would notify if the offer you are making is within the top 3 to 5.

• This would let you know that if you aren't within the top 3 or 5 highest offers, to either increase your bid or search for another player.  I'd have to make sure that this is possible with the formulas, but I think it is. 

I'd also like to remove the roster and workout bonuses from free agency bidding.  Just using the base and signing bonuses would make determining the highest bid easier to figure out.

The first thing we've got to figure out is when comparing different contracts, there are three main factors; the total number of years offered, the base salary and the signing bonus.

For example here are two contracts.

Contract Terms
Length of Contract: 5
APY Amount: $17,200,000
Yearly prorated amount: $3,600,000
Signing Bonus $18,000,000
Total Contract Amount $86,000,000

NPV Value =  $ 55,466,564

Contract Terms
Length of Contract: 3
APY Amount: $24,000,000
Yearly prorated amount: $6,000,000
Total Contract Amount $72,000,000

NPV Value =  $ 55,916,667

The total base salary is higher in the first contract because of the number of years, but the SB is the same.  The 3 year deal, the way it's structured is clearly the better deal and the most likely to remain signed the entire length of the contract.  

If the 3 year deal were to get reduced to a single year deal, would it still remain the better deal?

Contract Terms
Length of Contract: 1
APY Amount: $36,000,000
Yearly prorated amount: $18,000,000
Total Contract Amount $36,000,000

NPV Value =  $ 33,000,000

It's a massive one year deal, but what are the odds a player would sign it.  We know that most players don't like playing the year out on the tag, because there are no guarantees to protect from long term injuries or the event the player doesn't play up to expectations and doesn't receive a contract the following year.

The easiest solution is to have a fixed year tied to the player based on their current age, but I really don't like that idea. 

Using the these three examples, and a NPV rate of 20% applied to the base salary the 3 year deal would be awarded the player.  Are you guys good with this formula?

Again, removing the ability to include base guar., roster and workout bonuses gives us the results above, when including these other types of monies is when it begins to get difficult to figure out and we end up with the Nate Solder deals of last year.

Here is the workbook that I'm using to provide these examples.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1qhWYoo00P4_mn-JEqAw3IZDcHy6q47J6bLGi7igWcZ4/edit?usp=sharing

Archived