How do you plan from Round to Round?

JaguarCrazy2832

I know its early to for all this FF talk but i love it and want to hear any opinions if you got one. I know it all depends on draft position but I feel like I want either:

RB/WR or RB/RB in rounds 1 & 2. Unfortunately it is just took difficult to find RB value later with less and less teams having legit options at RB

Round 3, I really want to get Gronk/Kelce/Ertz

Round 4, i feel like is a prime spot to get a strong WR option like: Gordon, Jeffrey or Juju

I am baffled by how lowly all the QBs are ranked. I just cant imagine getting someone like Rodgers in Round 5 and I'm someone that doesnt like to take a QB early but if he is there then why not?

11 hours ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

I know its early to for all this FF talk but i love it and want to hear any opinions if you got one. I know it all depends on draft position but I feel like I want either:

RB/WR or RB/RB in rounds 1 & 2. Unfortunately it is just took difficult to find RB value later with less and less teams having legit options at RB

Round 4, i feel like is a prime spot to get a strong WR option like: Gordon, Jeffrey or Juju

I am baffled by how lowly all the QBs are ranked. I just cant imagine getting someone like Rodgers in Round 5 and I'm someone that doesnt like to take a QB early but if he is there then why not?

I’m honestly liking going RB/RB/WR this year. If I’m able to get one of the big 4 backs, and then get Devonte Freeman in the second round that is absolutely huge. Also really like the value of Brandin Cooks this year going in the fifth round. If I get a top 4 pick and end up with DJ/Freeman and one of Evans or Baldwin I’d be ecstatic.

3 minutes ago, bigbadbuff23835 said:

I’m honestly liking going RB/RB/WR this year. If I’m able to get one of the big 4 backs, and then get Devonte Freeman in the second round that is absolutely huge. Also really like the value of Brandin Cooks this year going in the fifth round. If I get a top 4 pick and end up with DJ/Freeman and one of Evans or Baldwin I’d be ecstatic.

Why do you like Cooks so much? Going to a run-1st team that already has WRs like Kupp and Woods who aren't great but good enough to eat targets consistently. Idk if there are enough passes to go around to make Cooks a good #2 WR on your fantasy team

14 hours ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

Why do you like Cooks so much? Going to a run-1st team that already has WRs like Kupp and Woods who aren't great but good enough to eat targets consistently. Idk if there are enough passes to go around to make Cooks a good #2 WR on your fantasy team

Robert Woods was a good #2 WR for most of the season last year. McVay has wanted Cooks, and they just paid him #1 money. I think he has a really good year.

8 hours ago, bigbadbuff23835 said:

Robert Woods was a good #2 WR for most of the season last year. McVay has wanted Cooks, and they just paid him #1 money. I think he has a really good year.

You just saying Cooks take the role that Woods had? I know Woods was a good #2 but adding another good WR only evens out the targets further. Idk McVay wasn't the guy paying him though either right? The coach wants to win and we've seen this alot with fantasy saying, they just paid this new guy alot of money, they will definitely use him that way. Thats the GM's concern, not the coach. I think he'll do well in LA or STL or wherever but there are 2 other WRs that will get a decent amount of targets and they still should be a run-heavy team

34 minutes ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

You just saying Cooks take the role that Woods had? I know Woods was a good #2 but adding another good WR only evens out the targets further. Idk McVay wasn't the guy paying him though either right? The coach wants to win and we've seen this alot with fantasy saying, they just paid this new guy alot of money, they will definitely use him that way. Thats the GM's concern, not the coach. I think he'll do well in LA or STL or wherever but there are 2 other WRs that will get a decent amount of targets and they still should be a run-heavy team

I think he’s an upgrade over Sammy Watkins for sure. I mean Cooks has been a fringe top 10 receiver, i don’t think he’s gonna fall to the 25-30 range just because of Woods and Kupp taking targets away from him, and Gurley obviously. I’m just saying specifically for getting him in the 5th round i think is a good deal in comparison 

29 minutes ago, bigbadbuff23835 said:

I think he’s an upgrade over Sammy Watkins for sure. I mean Cooks has been a fringe top 10 receiver, i don’t think he’s gonna fall to the 25-30 range just because of Woods and Kupp taking targets away from him, and Gurley obviously. I’m just saying specifically for getting him in the 5th round i think is a good deal in comparison 

100% agree. I'm avoiding Watkins like the plague. Cooks is currently ranked in that range though. I think he has more potential than others there. Whats weird is Woods is rated higher than Cooks. At ADP 62, i think that is right about where he should go

Rams were still a run dominant team with a great defense...plus you still have Woods/Kupp/Gurley all active in the passing game. I would also assume they would like to get Everett/Higbee going at TE.

Id be amazed if Cooks sees 100 targets...which makes it quite hard to be anything save for a low end wr2 or worse.

RB seems to be a no mans land starting in round 3...basically after that McKinnon/McCaffrey/Mixon area...

Basically like going RB/WR 1st 2 rounds...maybe TE or if not TY or Baldwin at WR in 3rd....RB value start back up at 4th round especially the rookies.

38 minutes ago, AlanFanecaFan said:

Rams were still a run dominant team with a great defense...plus you still have Woods/Kupp/Gurley all active in the passing game. I would also assume they would like to get Everett/Higbee going at TE.

Id be amazed if Cooks sees 100 targets...which makes it quite hard to be anything save for a low end wr2 or worse.

Not true for a speedster like Cooks. He could rattle off multiple 5/100/2td games.

20 minutes ago, bigbadbuff23835 said:

Not true for a speedster like Cooks. He could rattle off multiple 5/100/2td games.

Yes he will have 1 or 2 of those type of games...but it doesn’t change what I stated above for the season as a whole.

Watkins only had about 75 targets last year IIRC...again I’d be amazed if Cooks sees more than 100.

4 hours ago, AlanFanecaFan said:

RB seems to be a no mans land starting in round 3...basically after that McKinnon/McCaffrey/Mixon area...

Basically like going RB/WR 1st 2 rounds...maybe TE or if not TY or Baldwin at WR in 3rd....RB value start back up at 4th round especially the rookies.

I definitely have McCaffrey ahead of those 2 but you're right. I dont have Mixon in round 3 anyways though whether its 12 teams or smaller. 

There are like 11 RBs that i would take and plug in probably every week that dont have big question and thats it. If you can somehow get 2 of them you have to. 

You are right about round 3 and 4 for RBs. I just dont see the value there so if i can get RB-RB, I'm ecstatic because round 3/4 is perfect for a Top-3 TE or several #1 WRs like Baldwin, Adams, Evans or Baldwin

On 7/21/2018 at 10:01 AM, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

Here's my 2018 draft strategy, take it for what it's worth.  Also, this isn't set in stone, so I reserve the right to change my mind as it's still early in the planning season...

-I see myself going RB/RB this year (Getting more sure of passing on AB for Barkley, though I wouldn't put it past me to panic and change my mind at last minute lol).  Starting off with  Barkley and Devonta Freeman sounds lovely.   Barkley is going to get serious usage and will have a very stable floor and high upside.  Opportunity, situation and talent all meet for him.  The more I think about it, the less of a sure thing AB is to me.  It's not because of AB, but rather Big Ben that concerns me (though I am targeting Roethlisberger, I'll explain later).

-In the 3rd round I find myself not enamored with any of the available players/positions.  I can see going with Gronk or Kelce there if available (targeting K Rudolph later if I miss, and Jordan Reed as the last TE as a last resort if I miss again on Rudolph) .  4th and 5th round seems ideal for a bunch of WRs:  Jeffrey, Gordon, Juju, Hilton, Cooper, Fitzgerald, Robinson and Thomas all seem to end up around this point.  I'm having a lot of problems sorting the bunch...  I actually was getting on to ask for help in ranking this grouping. 

-With 2 RBs, 2WR and hopefully a TE, I'm going to grab 2 more RBs and 2 more WRs between 6-9.  Would LOVE to get M Ingram in the 6th and C Hogan in the 7th as I see them together as an elite flex player.  Simply play Hogan for the 1st 5 games and then plug Ingram the 2nd week after he gets back.  If I can't get those two, I'm targeting pass catching backs as I play in a 1/2PPR (think Cohen, Thompson, Lewis) and #1 Wrs on mediocre passing teams (C. Davis, Crabtree, R. Anderson, A. Hurns).

-10th and 11th/12th round I'm taking 2 QBs.  Would love to pair Big Ben with another mid tier QB.  Plan to play Ben ONLY on his home games as he plays like a mad man during those games and wimps out on away games.  Elite production for 50% of the season sounds great to me and at only a tiny cost compared to paying for Rodgers, Watson, Wilson etc.  Plus if he gets hurt like he seems to do each year, I still have a quality QB "backing" him up.

-I'm taking a defense early this year (gasp).  In round 11/12 I expect some knuckle heads to have taken a couple of defenses already, but I'll happily take the the Jags, Vikings, Rams, Eagles or Chargers here.   If not, I'll wait a couple more rounds and stream like every other year (taking the Ravens for their week one against Buffalo then).

-At kicker, if Tucker/Zuerlein/Gostkowski are taken (and I expect them to be), I'm taking Gould in the last round or two as he's not nearly as highly thought of as other Kickers.  I expect the 49ers to be more efficient moving the ball around with Shanahan calling the shots and Garoppolo  running the helm.  Who the heck is going to score in the redzone though?  I see ALOT of field goals in 2018.   

-Super late round, I'm taking flyers on guys like R. Cobb (maybe Rodgers #2 wr?), T. Montgomery, D. Foreman etc.  all guys that are lottery picks.

-Also, if I end up with Jordan Reed, I'm taking either R. Seals Jones or G. Kittle (going with that question regarding who is going to score for 49ers?) as high upside lottery TEs in the last round.

Thoughts???

My thoughts are that your first 5 rounds are seen like exactly the same as mine. It is all subject to change like you said though. Not so much of my rankings changing but if the draft starts with 8 RBs in a row and i want a RB/RB strategy, I’m not passing on AB for a lesser RB

I think going into this year, I hope to land two RBs and a low end WR1 by round 3(Bell is my keeper). I think I could end up with a combination of Bell with Baldwin/Mike Evans with Freeman/Mixon/Howard/Mckinnon(I'll drink the kool-aid). 

In my home league, there are usually picks traded but I think this year I am either standing pat with all my current picks or moving up from round 2 into the bottom of the first. I just think making a move into the top of the first round isn't worth the risk. Looking back, I did this last year. I ended up drafting Michael Thomas at #4 but I had to trade him by week 3 as my Rb situation wasn't the best(Woodhead got hurt, Gore was hurting from not having luck on the field and Doug Martin wasn't back till week 5) and I was looking at an 0-3 start. 

So if I stand pat with my picks, I think I'll go Baldwin/Mike Evans with my first pick. I just don't know if I can land one of the low end WR1 in the second round(I believe those guys are Hilton, Baldwin and Cooper).  My second round pick will def be a RB, just not sure which one it will be.

However if there is a trade made by me then I hope I land Devonta Freeman in R1A then follow up with a WR with R1B. 

Yeah i'm with you @JaguarCrazy2832 on A rod, i don't like picking QBs early but if its R3 or R4 and he's the best player than why not? I also feel the same about the Top TEs if they are there and I feel like they are the best player then I'll pick one of them if not I'll wait on Delanie walker, Rudolph, Burton, Kittle, and etc.

My home league also plays 2 Lbs and 2 Dbs, in year's past I usually pick a top tier LB in round 6 ish but I think this year I won't be taking any IDPs till Round 10 or so. 

Archived