2018 Rookie Talk

DreamKid

Some of the plays made by our rookies in the HOF game-

Kenny Young  /When kept clean this is what he can do. It's weird seeing our ILBs in the backfield o.O.

Kenny_Youngg.gif

DeShon Elliot  / Look at that pursuit, he plays it perfectly. Just another play he "lucked" into O.o....

Elliott_FF.gif

Zach Sieler   / Tackle for loss against the run, and a near sack to force the errant pass. Accept Zach Sieler as your lord and savior. :ph34r:.

Sieler.gif

Worm_ey_siell.gif

1 hour ago, DreamKid said:

Great article on Jordan Lasley- https://www.pennlive.com/baltimore-ravens/index.ssf/2018/08/who_i_am_ravens_rookie_jordan.html

My favorite quote in it from Las-

"I don't fear anybody," Lasley said. "I don't care if it's a crippled baby lined up in front of me, I'm gonna beat you every time."

well of course he's gonna beat a crippled baby. It's cripped. And it's a baby.

Going to get on my soapbox for a min... Watching Darnold now and I saw a replay of his first game earlier this week, and I'm finding the way everyone talks about how the rookie QBs look to be a bit ridiculous. Specifically on Darnold, the actual play he's showed in his first preseason start was way WAY less impressive than the hype. A lot of the so called poise he showed was him having excellent protection to the point he could regularly stand in the pocket for a few seconds. More importantly, he only had one good drive. One touchdown drive out of 7. He never got more than 1 first down on the other 6. I strongly believe there is a disconnect in how the football collective judge QB play that is tied to how people correlate good QB play with a high passer rating. Passer rating, for being the go-to metric, is incredibly flawed particularly because it rewards a high completion percentage so much. Completion percentage on short throws means nothing. Throwing short of the sticks on 3rd down is a bad play. What is important is how many points and yards you produce on a per drive basis. That's what every metric should build around. Having one good drive out of 7 is not a good outing.

The amount people rely on statistic to prove a point has gone too far. I seriously doubt people watch that many games when they come up with their hot takes etc.

To make an example, throwing short of the sticks on 3rd down is a great play, if the receiver/runningback/tight end has room to get the extra free yards. It can be either through scheming or timing or the QB/Receiver being on the same page and exploiting something in coverage.

When Flacco throws short of the sticks to a slow tight end on an outroute who is covered - its a bad play.

I saw some experts talk up Josh Allens plays on passes, where he missed the receiver. I just don't get it. 

In general we need a more rational approach where we watch the games as a whole and base conclusions from that instead of watching cut ups which proves someones point and then refer to overall statistics to make some sort of conclusion.

On 8/17/2018 at 9:27 PM, DreamKid said:

Even after Hurst and Andrews I still wanted us to pick him aaaahhh. Oh well, good for him. The Panthers took DJ Moore and Ian Thomas, must have some Maryland people over there lol.

Don't forget about Carter Jr. as well!

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-preseason-top-10-rookies-on-offense-defense

4. Orlando Brown, OT, Baltimore Ravens

The Ravens have certainly been giving Brown every opportunity possible to prove himself. Including the Hall of Fame game, Brown has played a ridiculous 174 snaps already this preseason. He’s only been off the field for 36 of the Ravens’ 210 offensive plays so far. The Oklahoma product has showed himself well as he’s allowed only three hurries, zero hits and zero sacks in his 111 pass-blocking snaps.

10. Bradley Bozeman, C, Baltimore Ravens

Another Ravens offensive lineman who has showed out in extended action. Bozeman has registered 146 snaps so far including the Hall of Fame game and has yet to allow a single pressure.

I am very happy to see Bozeman finally being mentioned. He was one of the guys I really liked in the draft, and if he can lock that center spot down, I would prefer his inability to get around second level blocks rather than having Matt Skura getting pushed around in there. Then put either Alex Lewis, Siragusa or Hurst at LG, and use the other two in jumbo packages. 

I was one of the top supporters for Orlando Brown through the entire draft proces, so no doubt I am happy to see him perform well. There are some things I don't like from his game, which I am also a little surprised about, but I hope it is some sort of precautionary drop technique to avoid speed rushers going by him.

Archived