Jump to content
DreamKid

2018 Rookie Talk

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, diamondbull424 said:

This is definitely going to be a fair comparison moving forward, Ridley is the one guy that was simultaneously available when Hurst was available that wouldn’t have required us to forfeit any of the additional picks we acquired in trade backs.

It’ll be interesting to see if when Hurst is back, will he be instantly the starter once more? And then the other question worth pondering is which TE does he replace upon coming in?

One would think that the H-back role that Maxx Williams is playing would be the optimal spot for Hurst, less of a blocker, but more explosive as a receiver option. But Williams has definitely allowed for great versatility due to his being both a threat to run block, pass block, or be a receiver.

One thing’s for sure, the coaches definitely have some difficult questions to answer moving forward. If there is a risk of re-injury however, I would probably sit Hurst until he’s completely 100% since he’s not truly needed at this point.

Presents some big time opportunities as well with how creative MM has shown himself willing to be this year. I’m thinking some 3 TE sets where we can seamlessly alternate between heavy and spread through motion. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Another thing worth noting in the Calvin Ridley vs Hayden Hurst comparison is Lamar Jackson. He proved to be very much effective in the middle of the field in college, he has a live arm, but it’s not Joe Flacco level. Having the ability to feature multiple TE sets and misdirection plays to the middle of the field vs targeting the boundary as much should be a boon to him moving forward when he takes over down the road (which is looking more like 2-3 years). Though if Matt Ryan’s arm is strong enough to make proper use of Ridley than so would Jackson’s.

43 minutes ago, sp6488 said:

Presents some big time opportunities as well with how creative MM has shown himself willing to be this year. I’m thinking some 3 TE sets where we can seamlessly alternate between heavy and spread through motion. 

These are all good points. Hurst’s value will be present with how his presence will potentially increase the overall efficiency of our yards per play on run and pass plays. Ridley would essentially be a long term version of John Brown, which is fantastic value. Though the combination of Hurst/Andrews/Williams means our no huddle offense can remain on the field and feature different offensive packages that all have RPO value. The increased efficiency of plays would be an intangible feature that we wouldn’t necessarily be able to measure in just stats alone.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm so excited to get Hayden back. He brings an Elite element to our offense and I can't wait to see just how we utilize him.

Focus at Hayden's level doesn't come around often. Especially at Tight End. 

Dude is a problem.........

Just don't ask him to hurdle anybody lol xD

:ph34r:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had a short discussion with Lance Zierlein on twitter, where he went all childish for some weird reason. It seems he was intent that Ridley had to go to the Cowboys because of their need for a wide receiver.

My argument was, that Ridley was taken exactly where he was rated by many, and because he is in a perfect situation he has had the instant succes he has had. The best example of Ridleys ability was his second touchdown this sunday, where he completely fooled Dre Kirkpatrick on a route. Ridley is in an offense though with 5-6 other weapons that give him the best opportunities to shine. I doubt that would be the case with the Cowboys.

The same could be said for us. I doubt Valvin Ridley would have the same succes with us, and while he was a prime candidate to be taken by us, I can also see why we went with Hurst.

If Hurst gets back, we get more sure handed players on the roster and more explosive down the middle + we get more speed from the inside which would help on deeper tight end routes to the outside where Crabtree lines up. Then Crab can rely on the shorter routes, where he is more effective.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Danand said:

My argument was, that Ridley was taken exactly where he was rated by many, and because he is in a perfect situation he has had the instant succes he has had. The best example of Ridleys ability was his second touchdown this sunday, where he completely fooled Dre Kirkpatrick on a route. Ridley is in an offense though with 5-6 other weapons that give him the best opportunities to shine. I doubt that would be the case with the Cowboys.

The same could be said for us.

This is my view too.

I was as down on him as any as a prospect for the Ravens because I didn't feel he would be a #1 WR, and his last two games, while good, don't disprove that

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Outside of Ridley,  Atlanta's offense currently consists of Julio Jones and...? Freeman is hurt and Coleman isn't healthy/making an impact either. Hooper is a lower-tier TE and they don't have anybody else at that position worth noting. If The Ravens wanted to move one of their guys before the deadline I think the Falcons make a lot of sense.

Anyways, it's not like Calvin is benefiting from the play/ability of a bunch of guys around him. It's just Julio. Sanu benefits from Ridley because he can stay in the short/intermediate areas where he can actually play. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, coordinator0 said:

Outside of Ridley,  Atlanta's offense currently consists of Julio Jones and...? Freeman is hurt and Coleman isn't healthy/making an impact either. Hooper is a lower-tier TE and they don't have anybody else at that position worth noting. If The Ravens wanted to move one of their guys before the deadline I think the Falcons make a lot of sense.

Anyways, it's not like Calvin is benefiting from the play/ability of a bunch of guys around him. It's just Julio. Sanu benefits from Ridley because he can stay in the short/intermediate areas where he can actually play. 

First of all Julio Jones is one of those receivers who constantly draws double coverage. Sanu is a quality receiver as well and Coleman is a great receiving back. Those are usually the 3 primary targets in the passing game and while Ridleys targets most likely will expand I am looking forward to see how much he can do.

Again, he is/will be really really good, and it might be unfair to knock him for being in a good situation - BUT that is what he is in. I think I heard a commentator say Julio Jones and Sanu combined for 300 yards against the Bengals, that is a pretty decent amount of both targets and yards.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Kenny Young has excelled in every way possible for us. In Coverage. Attacking the Run. Getting after QBs. No other Rookie LB can claim the same. We've seen him blow up blocking backs on his way to the Quarterback. We've seen him carry Wide Outs, Tight Ends, and Backs down the field, mirroring them in coverage. We've seen him shoot gaps and create splash plays against the run. He's displayed instincts beyond his years and his reflexive decision making has been beyond impressive. On top of it all he's bringing a fire and intensity back to our line backing core. 

I think he's bringing the best out in Peanut too, the competition has made him stronger. Add in that Kenny is as clean off the field as a certain other UCLA-Baltimore Draft Pick and you've just gotta give Ozzie his due on this one. Kenny Young looks all the parts, Draft Steal, Savage, and True Raven. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, DreamKid said:

Kenny Young has excelled in every way possible for us. In Coverage. Attacking the Run. Getting after QBs. No other Rookie LB can claim the same. We've seen him blow up blocking backs on his way to the Quarterback. We've seen him carry Wide Outs, Tight Ends, and Backs down the field, mirroring them in coverage. We've seen him shoot gaps and create splash plays against the run. He's displayed instincts beyond his years and his reflexive decision making has been beyond impressive. On top of it all he's bringing a fire and intensity back to our line backing core. 

I think he's bringing the best out in Peanut too, the competition has made him stronger. Add in that Kenny is as clean off the field as a certain other UCLA-Baltimore Draft Pick and you've just gotta give Ozzie his due on this one. Kenny Young looks all the parts, Draft Steal, Savage, and True Raven. 

 

 

He has been great no doubt about it great to see while even though we have been horrible drafting in the second round hopefully Bowser can break that curse we are still excelling in the mid to later rounds. Making the decision to not pay Mosley easier and easier by the week

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

now if only they could mine some skill players for the offense in the late rounds as they do consistently with finding diamonds in the rough on D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lamar Jackson running the ball is our only efficient running game. I know a lot of fans and observers roll their eyes when he comes in, but I know opposing D-coordinators aren't happy to see it. It's a real asset that I'm happy to have. If not for a late timeout he definitely would have scored a long TD against the Steelers. But, even to this point the production has been positive, and I'm sure we haven't even seen the best plays yet.

Edited by wackywabbit

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, wackywabbit said:

Lamar Jackson running the ball is our only efficient running game. I know a lot of fans and observers roll their eyes when he comes in, but I know opposing D-coordinators aren't happy to see it. It's a real asset that I'm happy to have. If not for a late timeout he definitely would have scored a long TD against the Steelers. But, even to this point the production has been positive, and I'm sure we haven't even seen the best plays yet.

It's crazy that people criticize us using Lamar when the alternative is just completely sitting him his rookie year with 0 playing time. If he wasn't a weapon in our gameplan this year, our running game would be pathetically bad.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Once again, it is a slim year for tight end production. More and more they become chess pieces rather than players who are an integral part of the offence. There's Gronk, Kelce and then a high caliber pass catching tight end in Ertz, but that is basically it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I saw someone mention this in the Reddit and found it kind of jarring: 

Mark Andrews has the same amount of TDs through 7 games as Maxx Williams & Nick Boyle have in their careers combined.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×