Should the Steelers use Terrell Edmunds as a dime ILB?

turtle28

Here’s my thing, does anyone know if/think they’ll play Edmunds as a dime ILB?

I think he’d do well there in the way that a lot of strong safety types have done in the last few years since the NFL had become more pass happy. 

IMO they should take Vince Williams off the field in passing situations and put Edmunds on the field in his place. This should/could help mitigate the loss of Shazier’s coverage abilities at ILB. 

2 hours ago, wwhickok said:

I think honestly they view Edmunds as a poor man's Troy Polamalu

You are more optimistic then I am. He's closer to a Rich Man's Sean Davis. Joking aside, I think he will be deployed a lot as an "ILB" from time to time. That Hybrid SS is where the NFL seems to be going and Edmunds appears to fit that mold though probably not in spectacular fashion. 

5 hours ago, wwhickok said:

I agree Chief and I didnt mean ymto suggest he is even close to as good as Troy, because he isnt.

There will probably never be another Troy in NFL history, but players like Edmunds and other young SS/dime ILB types have the potential to be playmakers and game changers too.

I don't think the steeler know what they are going to do with scheme and some players. The dime was a rare alignment for the tomlin regime but if it happens I could see them trying this out.  I agree with turtle28 about such player becoming playmakers, so it's now up to teams to allow this to happen.   I thought perhaps the marcus allen pick was for a dime LB  and Edmunds would be in the secondary.   Just wait and see, it's what I am looking forward to in that I have no idea what the coaches have in mind other than we aren't a base 3-4  as there is no Base anymore and we have various schemes.  I  just want the best players to play and for the coaches not to force the issue with players that are out of position or in  the wrong scheme.   Also, bench players that deserve to be benched of coursexD

On 7/21/2018 at 4:15 PM, turtle28 said:

Here’s my thing, does anyone know if/think they’ll play Edmunds as a dime ILB?

I think he’d do well there in the way that a lot of strong safety types have done in the last few years since the NFL had become more pass happy. 

IMO they should take Vince Williams off the field in passing situations and put Edmunds on the field in his place. This should/could help mitigate the loss of Shazier’s coverage abilities at ILB. 

I think a better comparison for Edmunds is actually Burnett. They have very similar skill sets and Burnett has played a ton of dime lb for the packers in the past.

As for Williams, he gets a lot of hate here because he is nothing special for sure, but he is our best blitzer from the inside. Athletically he is limited but  he does time his spots well and is fairly effective at it.

16 hours ago, 3rivers said:

I don't think the steeler know what they are going to do with scheme and some players. The dime was a rare alignment for the tomlin regime but if it happens I could see them trying this out.  I agree with turtle28 about such player becoming playmakers, so it's now up to teams to allow this to happen.   I thought perhaps the marcus allen pick was for a dime LB  and Edmunds would be in the secondary.   Just wait and see, it's what I am looking forward to in that I have no idea what the coaches have in mind other than we aren't a base 3-4  as there is no Base anymore and we have various schemes.  I  just want the best players to play and for the coaches not to force the issue with players that are out of position or in  the wrong scheme.   Also, bench players that deserve to be benched of coursexD

When at Virginia Tech, Edmunds played more SS than FS and I thought Allen was the FS for Penn State for the last 2 or 3 years. 

Edmuds is also 5 pounds or so bigger than Allen and plays bigger than Allen.

The way I see it, Burnett will be the Steelers FS and Sean Davis will remain the starting SS. It seems to me the best way for Edmunds to get a lot of reps will be for him to be worked in as the 3rd safety/true SS/dime ILB when opposing offenses have 3 WRs on the field.

I also do agree with @Big Snack in that Vice Williams is a good football player as far as playing the run and as a blitzer. The issue is that he’s not a guy you want on the field when teams are going 3 wide. So, if the Steelers defense is going to improve in coverage, especially vs TEs, it makes sense to get Vince off the field when teams go 3 wide and to get Edmunds on to the field so he can play that dime ILB/true SS role and they can have more speed on the field and better coverage ability than if they had Vince play all 3 downs.

Archived