Jameis Winston vs Marcus Mariota

patriotsheatyan

• 2 weeks later...

Winston is clearly the best of the two, however still nothing to write home about.  Frankly, I don't foresee either developing into anything more than middle of the pack starters.  Winston could possibly be a fringe top 10 guy, of course he'll have to cut out the careless mistakes, and stop sexually assaulting people....

On ‎7‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 5:31 PM, Jimmy Austin said:

Winston.

The yards and TDs he has put up with the kind of help he has had is pretty impressive. 

Um... Doug Martin, Vincent Jackson, Mike Evans, Cameron Brate, Adam Humphries, Seferian Jenkins, DeSean Jackson, Jacquizz Rodgers, OJ Howard,... 

That's cool you like Winston, but don't make it sound like he's been doing it by himself...  He's had the luxury of a somewhat envious supporting cast his entire career.

1 hour ago, frenchie said:

Winston is clearly the best of the two, however still nothing to write home about.  Frankly, I don't foresee either developing into anything more than middle of the pack starters.  Winston could possibly be a fringe top 10 guy, of course he'll have to cut out the careless mistakes, and stop sexually assaulting people....

Um... Doug Martin, Vincent Jackson, Mike Evans, Cameron Brate, Adam Humphries, Seferian Jenkins, DeSean Jackson, Jacquizz Rodgers, OJ Howard,... 

That's cool you like Winston, but don't make it sound like he's been doing it by himself...  He's had the luxury of a somewhat envious supporting cast his entire career.

A lot of those guys you named are nothing special. Doug Martin was good in 2015 but disappeared after that. Adam Humphries and Jacquizz Rodgers are nothing to write home about, Vincent Jackson was on the downside of his career, and ASJ is crap. A lot of those guys wouldn't even make it on practice squads of most other teams. 

Mike Evans and Cameron Brate were the only guys Jameis really had his first 2 years. 

Now last year Jameis did have DeSean and OJ, but Jameis clearly had a shoulder injury last year along with no run game, no pass protection, no defense, and Ray Finkle-esque kickers. 

I liked Mariota coming into that draft, but he's not delivered and looks to be a product of a wide open Chip Kelly O. He's has a few moments where he's looked the part, but those moments were fleeting at best.

Winston hasn't impressed either, but he shows some promise. I really think he had a few games where he looked like he was turning the corner and becoming that guy picked #1.

Confusing that both went the directions they did in the league. Really expected more from both.

I can't really speak on the offense Jameis has played in because I haven't watched many Bucs games, but Mariota has been playing in a system that is awful for his skill set. If you watched any Titans games last year you would know how maddening it was to watch how many 2 man routes we ran while continuously force feeding a washed up Murray. It's important to keep in mind the context, but nevertheless the stats are the stats. Here are their career numbers:

Passing:

Winston - Comp pct: 60.8% | Att: 1544 | Att/g: 34.3 | Yds: 11,636 | Yds/g: 258.6 | Avg: 7.5 | TD: 69 | Int: 44 | TD%: 4.5 | Int%: 2.8 | Rtg: 87.2

Mariota - Comp pct: 61.8% | Att: 1274 | Att/g: 30.3 | Yds: 9,476 | Yds/g: 225.6 | Avg: 7.4 | TD: 58 | Int: 34 | TD%: 4.6 | Int%: 2.7 | Rtg: 88.6

Rushing:

Winston - Att: 140 | Att/g: 3.1 | Yds: 513 | Yds/g: 11.4 | Avg: 3.7 | TD: 8 | 1st: 35 | 1st%: 25.0 | Fum: 11

Mariota - Att: 154 | Att/g: 3.7 | Yds: 913 | Yds/g: 21.7 | Avg: 5.9 | TD: 9 | 1st: 51 | 1st% 33.1 | Fum: 11

They're pretty similar, but I would give Mariota the edge (go ahead label me bias). If he threw as much as Winston they would be essentially equal in yards, and they're basically equal everywhere else across the board as far as passing. Mariota is far and away the superior runner and as much as it gets painted that Mariota is a running QB while Winston is a pocket QB, he's only attempted running the ball 14 more times so far through their careers. But I mainly give him the edge because he doesn't have maturity issues and makes big plays in clutch moments that go beyond just throwing the ball - namely the first down stiff arm scramble against Jax that all but sealed a playoff berth, and the block against KC that propelled Henry to a first down that iced the game against KC in the playoffs last year. He has 8 4th quarter comebacks to Winston's 5, has led his team to a playoff berth and playoff victory.

I think a bad taste is being left in people's mouths from Mariota's bad season last year, but a huge factor in that was the scheme drawn up by bafoons trying to bring the game back to the 80's (Robiskie and Mularkey). In a modern offense (schemed up by our new OC Matt LaFleur) I think we'll see a much more productive season from him.

On 7/22/2018 at 7:35 PM, Texansfan713 said:

not a fan of either but winston is better.  mariota is overrated and last season he didnt have any excuse not to be that bad.  Titans surrounded him with weapons last offseason. 

He was coming off a broken leg.

9 hours ago, dtait93 said:

I can't really speak on the offense Jameis has played in because I haven't watched many Bucs games, but Mariota has been playing in a system that is awful for his skill set. If you watched any Titans games last year you would know how maddening it was to watch how many 2 man routes we ran while continuously force feeding a washed up Murray. It's important to keep in mind the context, but nevertheless the stats are the stats. Here are their career numbers:

Passing:

Winston - Comp pct: 60.8% | Att: 1544 | Att/g: 34.3 | Yds: 11,636 | Yds/g: 258.6 | Avg: 7.5 | TD: 69 | Int: 44 | TD%: 4.5 | Int%: 2.8 | Rtg: 87.2

Mariota - Comp pct: 61.8% | Att: 1274 | Att/g: 30.3 | Yds: 9,476 | Yds/g: 225.6 | Avg: 7.4 | TD: 58 | Int: 34 | TD%: 4.6 | Int%: 2.7 | Rtg: 88.6

Rushing:

Winston - Att: 140 | Att/g: 3.1 | Yds: 513 | Yds/g: 11.4 | Avg: 3.7 | TD: 8 | 1st: 35 | 1st%: 25.0 | Fum: 11

Mariota - Att: 154 | Att/g: 3.7 | Yds: 913 | Yds/g: 21.7 | Avg: 5.9 | TD: 9 | 1st: 51 | 1st% 33.1 | Fum: 11

They're pretty similar, but I would give Mariota the edge (go ahead label me bias). If he threw as much as Winston they would be essentially equal in yards, and they're basically equal everywhere else across the board as far as passing. Mariota is far and away the superior runner and as much as it gets painted that Mariota is a running QB while Winston is a pocket QB, he's only attempted running the ball 14 more times so far through their careers. But I mainly give him the edge because he doesn't have maturity issues and makes big plays in clutch moments that go beyond just throwing the ball - namely the first down stiff arm scramble against Jax that all but sealed a playoff berth, and the block against KC that propelled Henry to a first down that iced the game against KC in the playoffs last year. He has 8 4th quarter comebacks to Winston's 5, has led his team to a playoff berth and playoff victory.

I think a bad taste is being left in people's mouths from Mariota's bad season last year, but a huge factor in that was the scheme drawn up by bafoons trying to bring the game back to the 80's (Robiskie and Mularkey). In a modern offense (schemed up by our new OC Matt LaFleur) I think we'll see a much more productive season from him.

Also Mike Evans is far and away better than anyone Mariota's had to throw too.

But yeah, biggest problem for Mariota is that the Titans are probably running the worst mismatch between their qb's skillset and offensive scheme that I've ever seen.

On 7/22/2018 at 6:35 PM, Texansfan713 said:

not a fan of either but winston is better.  mariota is overrated and last season he didnt have any excuse not to be that bad.  Titans surrounded him with weapons last offseason. 

How exactly did they surround him with weapons last offseason? There's Corey Davis, sure. Mariota also missed all of minicamp, Davis missed all of TC, and then rushed back and aggravated the hamstring, missing time and essentially giving the two zero chance of ever building any chemistry. Beyond that, is "surrounding him with weapons" referring to adding a washed up Eric Decker and drafting a backup TE and a No. 4 WR? Or trotting out the corpse of DeMarco Murray at running back? Maybe rolling with an offensive coordinator that built his system in the 80s and has legitimately made zero changes to his strategy or playcalling in the 30 years since then?

Last year was the first time Mariota didn't outperform Winston in nearly every efficiency statistic. Despite terrible coaching, lackluster weapons and a rotating door of offensive coordinators since he was drafted. I'm genuinely excited to see people's reactions when he plays in an actual, 2018 NFL offense. If he underperforms this coming year, yeah, I'll be the first to admit that he doesn't have any excuses left.

Really feel like a lot of people are buying fully into a year in which everything went wrong (injuries, coaching, straight bad luck in terms of having a percentage of interceptable passes thrown actually picked being significantly higher than the league norm) while ignoring that his first two years in the league he put up some pretty strong numbers for a 22 and 23 year old QB despite being placed in garbage situations.

11 hours ago, Bobikus said:

Also Mike Evans is far and away better than anyone Mariota's had to throw too.

But yeah, biggest problem for Mariota is that the Titans are probably running the worst mismatch between their qb's skillset and offensive scheme that I've ever seen.

Well he has had Walker who’s been pretty great but yeah he’s definitely not on Evans level. Outside of that he’s had no notable weapons, all below average except for Matthews who is just average.

Archived