Golf Thread

billking

On 7/19/2020 at 1:31 PM, BobbyPhil1781 said:

I went from Burner irons to these M6s and I was hitting my 4 burner about 185 and I'm hitting this 5 M6 about 190. I can see why people do what you suggested lol. This is my second set of irons ever and I've been playing about 11 years. After going to the range and using these for a round, I'm confident I'll stick with em for a while. 

The condition of the clubs are excellent. Luckily fake M6s are easy to spot but other clubs, I haven't found too much of a difference in real vs fake aside from grip tops. Fake are extremely inconsistent while real are the opposite. 

Lot of good putters on eBay. I have a Ghost Spider (yes, I'm very brand loyal lol) my wife got me a few years ago so I'm good there but she's looking so I browsed a bit as she can use male putters. I bet you can find something nice for a good price!

I just got a new set of these too!!!  A guy my dad plays with runs a golf shop, and my dad mentioned I was looking for new irons, and sold me a brand new set of M6's that someone had given him (with a TMB 4i) for 250.  Dad snagged it and gave them to me. This was after I got a set of MP-32's to challenge myself and my dad laughed at me and said I couldn't hit them.  

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Duffman57 said:

I just got a new set of these too!!!  A guy my dad plays with runs a golf shop, and my dad mentioned I was looking for new irons, and sold me a brand new set of M6's that someone had given him (with a TMB 4i) for 250.  Dad snagged it and gave them to me. This was after I got a set of MP-32's to challenge myself and my dad laughed at me and said I couldn't hit them.  

That's a damn steal!! Jealous. Had a chance to test em out yet? I haven't used these as much as I want to but so far, I'm just striping balls. My last round I played was the best I've hit long irons in a very long time. Don't get me wrong, it happened before but very rarely do unless it's a fresh coincidence, I'll be happy with these. Weather around here is finally cooling down so I'll be getting out more and more. Can't wait!

Just now, BobbyPhil1781 said:

That's a damn steal!! Jealous. Had a chance to test em out yet? I haven't used these as much as I want to but so far, I'm just striping balls. My last round I played was the best I've hit long irons in a very long time. Don't get me wrong, it happened before but very rarely do unless it's a fresh coincidence, I'll be happy with these. Weather around here is finally cooling down so I'll be getting out more and more. Can't wait!

Oh yeah.  My dad belongs to a club and plays 4 times a week in his recent retirement. He came out to the east coast to visit me/family, and we probably played 10 times in the month he was here.  He played 5 times last week and I think I played 3-4.  I like them a lot, and have hit the hell out of them. Those clubs go forever.  I hit the 5 iron 200-210 pretty consistently.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Duffman57 said:

Oh yeah.  My dad belongs to a club and plays 4 times a week in his recent retirement. He came out to the east coast to visit me/family, and we probably played 10 times in the month he was here.  He played 5 times last week and I think I played 3-4.  I like them a lot, and have hit the hell out of them. Those clubs go forever.  I hit the 5 iron 200-210 pretty consistently.

Nice!! I've never been a long hitter which is odd for my size but I've never had lessons or anything lol. I wish I could get that distance. My wife and I are playing Friday and then a could scrambles the next two weekends so I'm going to be using these a lot soon. Envious of your dad. 4 times a week and retirement must be nice. I'll get there eventually lol 

6 minutes ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

Nice!! I've never been a long hitter which is odd for my size but I've never had lessons or anything lol. I wish I could get that distance. My wife and I are playing Friday and then a could scrambles the next two weekends so I'm going to be using these a lot soon. Envious of your dad. 4 times a week and retirement must be nice. I'll get there eventually lol 

I'm tall and long, it's a benefit of it.  My dad is definitely loving life.  He's playing well too.  I actually just got back into playing after the regular 1/2 times a year for 10 years during college/grad school and in between those lifes.  Have a buddy of mine at the new job this year that played in college and we play all the time now. I'm excited, we're actually playing bethpage this week.

• Like 1

Finally settled on ordering a new putter, didn't want to take the chance on something from eBay and really liked the length and make I saw at the local fitter.  I ended up with the Odyssey Stroke Lab Bird of Prey.  I love mallets and was never good with a blade, and love the big white line from the Bird of Prey.  I also tested the 10, which is a Spider design since Toulon left Taylr Made for Odyssey- but I really liked the feel of Bird of Prey, as it reminded me of my current putter, which is a Kmart special from at least 15 years ago.  

I started going back to the driving range weekly last month and just had my first tee time last week.  If I can get out weekly- if not more- I am planning on two things.  One, joining a local course which is public but also close to work so I can get over there before/after.  Second, I will start replacing clubs in my bag.  I currently have a Callaway Edge set, which is what you get from Costco- now with my new putter and an older Nike 62* wedge.  I have room in the bag for one extra club, so I was going to start with my wedges and work my way up.  

What are the recommendations for best wedges?  I'm brand loyal to Callaway and have heard great things about the JAWS wedges, and even some of their more recent offerings.  But I am not sold to them.  I definitely think I will go away from Callaway when I change my irons, but also thinking about staying with them for the MAVRIK drivers/woods.  Also, blades or cavity backs for irons?  I'm also thinking about getting fitted at least for the wedges, due to never being fitted before and having an interesting swing.  I've also lost a lot of weight over the past couple months, which has changed my swing but also getting me much more interested in golfing again. 

My goal in golf is to consistently hit 88-92 to scores. I think that puts me in a place to enjoy it, and play with a lot more people without embarrassing myself. It's been a slow process, but over the last 4 years I've gone from 110-115 to 95-100. 

I've finally more or less got my driver figured out where I am not burning into the edges and woods every time off the tee. Fixing my slice helped that. I need to get MUCH better at 20 yards to 50 yards. The yips keep it short or skull-bashing it kill it past. Those little chips are annoying as hell, but would save me a couple strokes a round guaranteed. 

Putting is what it is. A pain. 

On 8/4/2020 at 4:34 PM, naptownskinsfan said:

Finally settled on ordering a new putter, didn't want to take the chance on something from eBay and really liked the length and make I saw at the local fitter.  I ended up with the Odyssey Stroke Lab Bird of Prey.  I love mallets and was never good with a blade, and love the big white line from the Bird of Prey.  I also tested the 10, which is a Spider design since Toulon left Taylr Made for Odyssey- but I really liked the feel of Bird of Prey, as it reminded me of my current putter, which is a Kmart special from at least 15 years ago.  

I started going back to the driving range weekly last month and just had my first tee time last week.  If I can get out weekly- if not more- I am planning on two things.  One, joining a local course which is public but also close to work so I can get over there before/after.  Second, I will start replacing clubs in my bag.  I currently have a Callaway Edge set, which is what you get from Costco- now with my new putter and an older Nike 62* wedge.  I have room in the bag for one extra club, so I was going to start with my wedges and work my way up.  

What are the recommendations for best wedges?  I'm brand loyal to Callaway and have heard great things about the JAWS wedges, and even some of their more recent offerings.  But I am not sold to them.  I definitely think I will go away from Callaway when I change my irons, but also thinking about staying with them for the MAVRIK drivers/woods.  Also, blades or cavity backs for irons?  I'm also thinking about getting fitted at least for the wedges, due to never being fitted before and having an interesting swing.  I've also lost a lot of weight over the past couple months, which has changed my swing but also getting me much more interested in golfing again. 

Every question you could have. This dude has a vid for it somewhere on the list. Hes a good watch. I enjoy his vids more than anything currently on tv.

https://www.youtube.com/user/RickShielsPGAGolf/videos

1st you need to see.

Edited by PARROTHEAD

On 8/9/2020 at 9:12 PM, PARROTHEAD said:

Every question you could have. This dude has a vid for it somewhere on the list. Hes a good watch. I enjoy his vids more than anything currently on tv.

https://www.youtube.com/user/RickShielsPGAGolf/videos

1st you need to see.

I've been watching his channel for a bit.  I love the reviews and the illegal club videos.  Because of him I have my eyes on some clubs but wanted to hear the opinions of some other average players like me. 

12 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

I've been watching his channel for a bit.  I love the reviews and the illegal club videos.  Because of him I have my eyes on some clubs but wanted to hear the opinions of some other average players like me. 

What clubs are you eyeing and in what level of play? Like do you just want to rocket balls off for distance. Want game improvement mixture of touch/feel with distance. Like to shape shots.

Cause if you just want to rocket balls away. Thats easy. Wilson D300s or the new Launch Pad irons.

I gotta give it up to people who design drivers. I took this new M6 driver out to the range yesterday and I could tell when I didn't hit it pure (upgraded from a RBZ). I could tell it was a drive I should've sliced the ever living hell out of it and..... it barely went off target and barely had any tail. This is wild! I did hook a lot more than I usually do but that was only in my early swings. Playing in a scramble tomorrow and I can't wait to see this thing in action.

• 4 weeks later...

Been golfing about a year now and went from golfing 10 times last year to 1-4 times a week now. I still suck and probably always will but I fixed my drive. Getting some distance and kinda fixed my slice by utilizing some unhealthier habits (pointing to the left deliberately)

15 minutes ago, Ty21 said:

Been golfing about a year now and went from golfing 10 times last year to 1-4 times a week now. I still suck and probably always will but I fixed my drive. Getting some distance and kinda fixed my slice by utilizing some unhealthier habits (pointing to the left deliberately)

I am in the process of trying to fix my slice.  Definitely look up videos for grip and not swinging over the top.  

• 1 month later...