Golf Thread

billking

• 2 months later...
On 2/14/2021 at 9:20 PM, AkronsWitness said:

Anybody want to tell me why there is such a shuffle at the top of the leaderboards in the last 5 years? One year its Jordan Speith, then Jason Day, then Rory McIlroy, then Dustin Johnson, then Justin Thomas, ect ect ect

Why are these guys exploding onto the scene then having trouble sticking around at the top? Especially a guy like Jason Day? He was the #1 golfer in the world a few years ago and now everytime I watch a event he is always finishing out of the top 5-10.

I know golf is a hard sport where consistency is difficult which makes Tiger that much more crazy but man. 

Jason Day has injury issues mainly his back. Tiger and even Jack were head and shoulders above the competition in their primes so seeing those names on the leaderboards every week seemed routine, now there really isn't that standout talent in golf that we have seen in the past that has a shot at winning almost every week.

On 8/9/2020 at 6:12 PM, PARROTHEAD said:

Every question you could have. This dude has a vid for it somewhere on the list. Hes a good watch. I enjoy his vids more than anything currently on tv.

https://www.youtube.com/user/RickShielsPGAGolf/videos

1st you need to see.

I used to have a set of those, Ping was revolutionary in the game improvement club industry when there really wasn't one back in the 60's and 70's cavity back cast clubs were pretty much being made by ping only back then if you weren't swinging those then you were using something like power built citation muscle back that had a sweet spot something like the size of a dime. I guess why they may not have caught on as well as we would think is because the ball back then was balatta and players shaped their shots back then and the cast cavity back irons didn't let you shape the shot near as much and they didn't give as much distance control as forged irons could and not unlike today everyone thinks they are better than they really are and want to use the same stuff the guys on TV use so there it is. Nowadays players hit the ball with very little shape to it as before so those ping irons no doubt play with the newer ball of today rather well.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Any golfers in here that use range finders on the course?

Never used them before, but now that I'm getting back into the sport, I'm seeing tons of people using them and was looking to see if anyone here could recommend one or know if the Blue Tees model listed below is good or not, it's definitely cheaper than the Bushnell model.

I'm also looking to upgrade my irons.  Looking for a players club but not a real blade.  Had my eye on the new 2021 Taylormade 790, perhaps even the 760 model (but I'm reading that it is a blade), Callaway Apex, or the PGX 0311. 

Any recommendations?

Thanks in advance.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/2/2021 at 7:58 PM, ny92mike said:

Any golfers in here that use range finders on the course?

Never used them before, but now that I'm getting back into the sport, I'm seeing tons of people using them and was looking to see if anyone here could recommend one or know if the Blue Tees model listed below is good or not, it's definitely cheaper than the Bushnell model.

I'm also looking to upgrade my irons.  Looking for a players club but not a real blade.  Had my eye on the new 2021 Taylormade 790, perhaps even the 760 model (but I'm reading that it is a blade), Callaway Apex, or the PGX 0311. 

Any recommendations?

Thanks in advance.

I own a bushnell with slope function, honestly I feel the best way to use laser range finders is for specific yardage to clear a hazard or reach a specific layup spot for an approach. I used to have a Garmin's range finder watch and found that just as useful/accurate as the laser. The point I'm making here is speed of play gets affected with these range finders a lot and having the same info on your wrist is a lot quicker than reaching for a range finder. I play to a 4.3 index when I played fairly often and honestly only had 1 occasion where the slope feature helped on a severely downhill par 3 the rest of the time it only affected the distance by 2 or 3 yards. Not trying to discourage you from the rangefinder because they do have good uses when your in a strange spot on a hole and need specific distance. As far as new clubs are concerned I'm a little bit out of the loop on equipment these days the last set of irons I bought were mizuno mp15.

11 hours ago, billking said:

I own a bushnell with slope function, honestly I feel the best way to use laser range finders is for specific yardage to clear a hazard or reach a specific layup spot for an approach. I used to have a Garmin's range finder watch and found that just as useful/accurate as the laser. The point I'm making here is speed of play gets affected with these range finders a lot and having the same info on your wrist is a lot quicker than reaching for a range finder. I play to a 4.3 index when I played fairly often and honestly only had 1 occasion where the slope feature helped on a severely downhill par 3 the rest of the time it only affected the distance by 2 or 3 yards. Not trying to discourage you from the rangefinder because they do have good uses when your in a strange spot on a hole and need specific distance. As far as new clubs are concerned I'm a little bit out of the loop on equipment these days the last set of irons I bought were mizuno mp15.

I've been using the app theGrint for course gps and distance and I have no complaints.  Really just thinking I was missing out on something after being away for so many years.  Last time I played consistently this stuff didn't exist.

On 10/18/2021 at 6:43 AM, ny92mike said:

I've been using the app theGrint for course gps and distance and I have no complaints.  Really just thinking I was missing out on something after being away for so many years.  Last time I played consistently this stuff didn't exist.

Those GPS apps are pretty good I hear, like I said I think laser rangefinders do serve a purpose it's just I think they get a little overused and simple GPS apps or a wristwatch/ Garmin are probably nearly as accurate and much faster.

Looking into buying some mizuno hot metal irons. Still using my starter set I got a couple years ago. The only clubs I’ve upgraded from the original Stratas are my driver and putter. 

Made it out 32 times so far this year and averaged probably 44 or so per 9 holes. Handicaps probably like 14-15 if I understand it right. 

• 1 month later...
On 10/22/2021 at 9:08 AM, Ty21 said:

Looking into buying some mizuno hot metal irons. Still using my starter set I got a couple years ago. The only clubs I’ve upgraded from the original Stratas are my driver and putter. 

Made it out 32 times so far this year and averaged probably 44 or so per 9 holes. Handicaps probably like 14-15 if I understand it right. 

32 times? I officially hate you. That's great though at least someone is getting in some golf. I game Mizuno irons also titleist driver, vokey wedges, and Scotty Cameron putter. If your gonna make a sizable investment in equipment then make sure you get fitted I would have never chose the shafts in my irons but according to mizuno fitting system I was recommended for X shafts and I'm no longer as young as springtime any longer it really surprised me.

• 2 months later...
On 10/18/2021 at 9:43 AM, ny92mike said:

I have a Garmin S42 watch. It is a game changer to actually know the exact distance and not just guess based on a marker somewhere on the course. Plus its awesome that it tracks all your course data so you can see your handicap, how far you hit each club, ect. If you ever wondered how far you just hit a drive you can just look down at your watch. I sit on the patio after each round drinking a 19th hole beer and review the round I just played on my phone (because when you finish it sends the data to the Garmin app on your phone) so you can track data. It really changed the way I play and gives me useful information to work on for next round.

The only issue I have had with apps, is that they kill your phone battery. Plus its a pain to constantly have to run back to the cart to check your phone for distances.

Its just so nice to have something on your wrists that you can just tap.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/16/2022 at 8:45 AM, AkronsWitness said:

I have a Garmin S42 watch. It is a game changer to actually know the exact distance and not just guess based on a marker somewhere on the course. Plus its awesome that it tracks all your course data so you can see your handicap, how far you hit each club, ect. If you ever wondered how far you just hit a drive you can just look down at your watch. I sit on the patio after each round drinking a 19th hole beer and review the round I just played on my phone (because when you finish it sends the data to the Garmin app on your phone) so you can track data. It really changed the way I play and gives me useful information to work on for next round.

The only issue I have had with apps, is that they kill your phone battery. Plus its a pain to constantly have to run back to the cart to check your phone for distances.

Its just so nice to have something on your wrists that you can just tap.

Appreciate the info.  I've looked into the watch.  Question, does it need to be a Garmin watch or can you use any smart watch?  ie., Galaxy / Apple

11 hours ago, ny92mike said:

Appreciate the info.  I've looked into the watch.  Question, does it need to be a Garmin watch or can you use any smart watch?  ie., Galaxy / Apple

It doesnt need to be Garmin but they are the premium for golf watches and last time I checked Apple/Galaxy do not have a golf GPS app. If they do, I wouldnt expect it to be overly great. Garmin specializes in GPS thats why I trust their products for functionality and accuracy.

Both the S42 and S60 function as a everyday smart watch though--they both get calls/texts and you can do things like see the weather. They are also both fitness trackers so you can count steps, see distance walked, calories burned, time slept, ect. You get a lot of essential functions with the S42/S60 of a normal smart watch, its not just a golf GPS. You can wear it all day.

They are both bad*** golf GPS and fitness tracker watches first and normal smart watches second.

Edited by AkronsWitness

On 2/26/2022 at 2:40 PM, AkronsWitness said:

It doesnt need to be Garmin but they are the premium for golf watches and last time I checked Apple/Galaxy do not have a golf GPS app. If they do, I wouldnt expect it to be overly great. Garmin specializes in GPS thats why I trust their products for functionality and accuracy.

Both the S42 and S60 function as a everyday smart watch though--they both get calls/texts and you can do things like see the weather. They are also both fitness trackers so you can count steps, see distance walked, calories burned, time slept, ect. You get a lot of essential functions with the S42/S60 of a normal smart watch, its not just a golf GPS. You can wear it all day.

They are both bad*** golf GPS and fitness tracker watches first and normal smart watches second.

Thanks for the info...very informative. 

• 1 month later...