Tony Sparano, Vikings’ OL Coach, Passes Away at 56

SemperFeist

37 minutes ago, disaacs said:

actually woke up in the middle of the night and that was one of the thoughts that went through my mind.

It’s not a terrible idea. Tice is a well respected OL coach, and he’s just about the only one available with the resume to come in and get the player’s immediate attention. The only problem with a new coach is that he’d be learning the offense on the fly. 

7 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

That was a garbage movie...

splash_780-225-720x340.jpg\

Oh, sorry...you wrote Houck. ^_^  It would make sense since Houck was the Cowboys' OL coach in Dallas during their glory days.  As a 1-yr stopgap, he'd be okay.  

34 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

Another name as to who could step in for Sparano would be Clancy Barone, the team’s tight ends coach. He’s got plenty of experience as an offensive line coach in Denver. 

Which wouldn't be surprising, because then Downing could step in and help with the TEs.  He hasn't done that specifically, but having lots of experience as a quality control guy and with Tice on speed dial, I think he could pick it up pretty quickly.  

1 hour ago, disaacs said:

Which wouldn't be surprising, because then Downing could step in and help with the TEs.  He hasn't done that specifically, but having lots of experience as a quality control guy and with Tice on speed dial, I think he could pick it up pretty quickly.  

I don’t think you’d move Downing, to be honest. I think Barone would simply pull double duty. He certainly wouldn’t be the only coach to be responsible for both the OL and TEs. 

9 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

I don’t think you’d move Downing, to be honest. I think Barone would simply pull double duty. He certainly wouldn’t be the only coach to be responsible for both the OL and TEs

How effective are those coaches though handling double duty? That's asking for a lot.

Vikings offensive line coach Tony Sparano died Sunday due to heart disease, a medical examiner has concluded.

Via Courtney Cronin of ESPN.com, the Hennepin County medical examiner specifically has concluded that Sparano suffered from arteriosclerotic heart disease. The condition results from the clogging of the arteries by plaque in the bloodstream.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/07/23/medical-examiner-finds-tony-sparano-had-heart-disease/

i hope you young guys think about the amount of fat you eat, and whether you exercise regularly.

17 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

I don’t think you’d move Downing, to be honest. I think Barone would simply pull double duty. He certainly wouldn’t be the only coach to be responsible for both the OL and TEs. 

I don't think necessarily that you move Downing, but have him assist Barone with the TEs as part of his special assignment duties...I do think that the best idea is to have Barone do both, but have Downing assist him with the TEs and keep Janocko assisting him with the O-Line.

41 minutes ago, disaacs said:

I don't think necessarily that you move Downing, but have him assist Barone with the TEs as part of his special assignment duties...I do think that the best idea is to have Barone do both, but have Downing assist him with the TEs and keep Janocko assisting him with the O-Line.

Janocko did work with the TEs in 2016, he could slide to that position in the interim. 

The Vikings today announced that Friday’s training camp practice has been canceled so the team can attend the memorial service for Tony Sparano, the offensive line coach who died on Sunday. Sparano was heading into his third season on the Vikings’ coaching staff, and he was much loved by his players, as evidenced by the many statements that have come out from players in the two days since he died. The Vikings’ players and coaches will be together for his funeral.

In lieu of flowers, the Sparano family asked for donations to the American Heart Association. The medical examiner listed heart disease as the cause of Sparano’s death.

Fans who had tickets to Friday’s practice will be contacted by the Vikings’ ticket office.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/07/24/vikings-cancel-friday-practice-team-will-attend-tony-sparanos-funeral/

Raiders quarterback Derek Carr was the first person Vikings running back Latavius Murray called when news broke Sunday that Vikings offensive line coach Tony Sparano had suffered a fatal heart attack at age 56.

Murray: “We were under Tony as an interim head coach in Oakland, we loved him. Absolutely loved him. Always called me ‘Honeybear’ or ‘Sugarbear’ after I dyed my hair blond in Oakland. We’re 0-10 playing a Thursday night game against Kansas City. And all week Tony kept saying, ‘Guys, this is the best jobs we’ll ever have.’ I just saw the video again of Tony in the locker room after we won that game. It was such a great moment with Tony. I think you have to mourn, but knowing Tony, we all can have some peace in knowing that it’s OK to move on. Tony would have wanted us to go back out there, get better, have fun and finish what we all started last year.”

It’s been a busy offseason for Murray. He’s one year closer to completing his MBA from Syracuse. He went overseas as part of an NFL outreach program. He became engaged. And he’s due to have a son Aug. 31.

http://www.startribune.com/latavius-murray-engaged-and-nearing-his-master-s-degree-living-life-the-way-tony-sparano-would-have-wanted/489187071/

Archived