Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
SemperFeist

Tony Sparano, Vikings’ OL Coach, Passes Away at 56

Recommended Posts

Spielman:  “We open up this training camp with very heavy hearts. To be out there on the practice field for the first time today without Tony’s presence, I know it affects each individual differently. But Tony was such a great coach and great family man and so strong is his faith.”

Zimmer: “Unfortunately, I’ve been through this about eight years ago when I lost my wife, so we’re hoping that this is the last time. Tony was a very good friend of mine, an excellent football coach, a mentor for me to go in and talk to.”

https://www.twincities.com/2018/07/25/vikings-mike-zimmer-rick-spielman-choke-up-talking-about-late-tony-sparano/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, vike daddy said:

Raiders quarterback Derek Carr was the first person Vikings running back Latavius Murray called when news broke Sunday that Vikings offensive line coach Tony Sparano had suffered a fatal heart attack at age 56.

Murray: “We were under Tony as an interim head coach in Oakland, we loved him. Absolutely loved him. Always called me ‘Honeybear’ or ‘Sugarbear’ after I dyed my hair blond in Oakland. We’re 0-10 playing a Thursday night game against Kansas City. And all week Tony kept saying, ‘Guys, this is the best jobs we’ll ever have.’ I just saw the video again of Tony in the locker room after we won that game. It was such a great moment with Tony. I think you have to mourn, but knowing Tony, we all can have some peace in knowing that it’s OK to move on. Tony would have wanted us to go back out there, get better, have fun and finish what we all started last year.”

It’s been a busy offseason for Murray. He’s one year closer to completing his MBA from Syracuse. He went overseas as part of an NFL outreach program. He became engaged. And he’s due to have a son Aug. 31.

http://www.startribune.com/latavius-murray-engaged-and-nearing-his-master-s-degree-living-life-the-way-tony-sparano-would-have-wanted/489187071/

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I hear comparisons to Korey Stringer in 2001 to the 2018 Vikings and how the Vikings had a rough season after that.

I think the o-line is going to be something fierce this season. Every snap is going to have Tony in their head. They're going to want just all the more harder.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Vikes_Bolts1228 said:

I hear comparisons to Korey Stringer in 2001 to the 2018 Vikings and how the Vikings had a rough season after that.

Stringer wasn't the only loss from 2000 though. That was also the offseason we lost Steussie and apparently tried replacing him with something called Brad Badger.

Additionally, the 2000 line missed a combined total of one game due to injury. The 2001 line missed 12 games.

Edited by Klomp

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

By that time, losing Steussie was an upgrade, since Steussie was a false start machine then.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Even though he's still a jerk, I appreciate him showing up to the service.  :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Live-tweeting a funeral....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Klomp said:

Live-tweeting a funeral....

Just you wait until Bud Grant and Sid Hartman die. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Klomp said:

Live-tweeting a funeral....

Clearly, Tomasson missed the ethics class in his journalism curriculum.

I didn’t have much respect for Tomasson before, but it’s completely gone now. He’s a big reason as to why Minnesota sports journalism has such a negative reputation. 

I don’t normally unfollow people just because they say or do something I disagree with, but this tabloid level approach was the last straw for me. 

Personally, I’d love to see the Vikings pull his press credentials 

Edited by SemperFeist

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

Clearly, Tomasson missed the ethics class in his journalism curriculum.

I didn’t have much respect for Tomasson before, but it’s completely gone now. He’s a big reason as to why Minnesota sports journalism has such a negative reputation. 

I don’t normally unfollow people just because they say or do something I disagree with, but this tabloid level approach was the last straw for me. 

Personally, I’d love to see the Vikings pull his press credentials 

If he didn't do it, someone else would.  I don't think it's that big a deal.  He didn't tweet pictures from inside the building.  That would be bad ethics.  Outside the building is fair game and part of his job.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, disaacs said:

If he didn't do it, someone else would.  I don't think it's that big a deal.  He didn't tweet pictures from inside the building.  That would be bad ethics.  Outside the building is fair game and part of his job.  

Plenty of other Vikings beat writers were there in observation. None of them felt compelled to live tweet the procession of mourners like a goddamn red carpet event. So, no, the “someone else would have” excuse doesn’t fly. 

Its one thing to be there, make observations and notes, and then compile them for a piece to be written on the memorial service. This was totally unprofessional, and in severely poor taste. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

Its one thing to be there, make observations and notes, and then compile them for a piece to be written on the memorial service. This was totally unprofessional, and in severely poor taste. 

i have to agree. will he tweet pics of the grieving family members...?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We'll just have to disagree.  I don't think it's that big of a deal.  Largely, what TMZ does is unprofessional...this is nowhere near that.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  



×