Official Training Camp 2018 Thread

5 hours ago, turtle28 said:

They have lost because of the defense recently. If the defense is better - particularly the linebackers - the team will go further in the playoffs. If Watt, Bostic, Williams and Dupree don’t step up and be better than what the linebackers were after Shazier went down last year then the team is likely capped out as a wildcard winner but not much else. 

I’m still shocked they didn’t take an ILB in the top 3 rounds. I hope Edmunds learns/does enough to be a dime ILB/3rd S for when teams are spreading the Steelers 3-4 D out because they need to get him on the field and need more speed/coverage ability on the field for when teams are in obvious passing situations.

I understand why they took James Washington in round 2 but it seems to me they could have signed a 3rd wr and taken an ILB in round 2 like Jerome Baker or Malik Jefferson.

they also lost because of some poor drafting in recent time.  All teams miss now and then, but we have missed on two RD1 OLB's and our RD1 CB also was a wasted pick because he could have been RD2 . 

3 minutes ago, 3rivers said:

they also lost because of some poor drafting in recent time.  All teams miss now and then, but we have missed on two RD1 OLB's and our RD1 CB also was a wasted pick because he could have been RD2 . 

Are you talking about Dupree and Burns? They’re not awful, just not great, I wouldn’t say they missed on them.

There are other ones that hurt more like Golden who never played at all.

1 hour ago, turtle28 said:

That’s horrible, he’s been a rock at LG for 5 years.

too bad that players get these injuries, but in our case, Finnney is actually better than foster .  Finney will start and I doubt he loses his job even if foster returns. 

2 hours ago, 3rivers said:

too bad that players get these injuries, but in our case, Finnney is actually better than foster .  Finney will start and I doubt he loses his job even if foster returns. 

I sure hope so. That’s a pretty bold statement.

5 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

I sure hope so. That’s a pretty bold statement.

He played a few games and was comparable to Decastro IMO. Not quite, but close, very mobile, and bell had great games when Finney started. If Finney get better the more he plays, then this will make the OL even more formidable. Foster was a solid OL and team leader but nobody can deny what happened when Finney got to start - bell had some of his best games. 

7 minutes ago, 3rivers said:

He played a few games and was comparable to Decastro IMO. Not quite, but close, very mobile, and bell had great games when Finney started. If Finney get better the more he plays, then this will make the OL even more formidable. Foster was a solid OL and team leader but nobody can deny what happened when Finney got to start - bell had some of his best games. 

Who did they play on those games, any chance it could’ve been the competition?

Just now, turtle28 said:

Who did they play on those games, any chance it could’ve been the competition?

Bills a few years ago (but bell was also at his best) , chiefs IIRC and a few others. I observe OL since I see it as very important and Finney was a standout IMO.   Now if Finney gets hurt or DDC gets hurt, then who do we have?  OL can make or break a team  with injuries, lets see how they address this because we already have lost 3 OL :o Maybe time for a trade?

16 minutes ago, 3rivers said:

Bills a few years ago (but bell was also at his best) , chiefs IIRC and a few others. I observe OL since I see it as very important and Finney was a standout IMO.   Now if Finney gets hurt or DDC gets hurt, then who do we have?  OL can make or break a team  with injuries, lets see how they address this because we already have lost 3 OL :o Maybe time for a trade?

Yeah OL & DL injures can kill a team. It really hurt the Redskins last year. They lost Phil Taylor in the preseason to a torn quad and it was looking like he was going to be our staring NT. Then they lost Jonathan Allen in week 6 for the year and the DL wasn’t the same the final 10.5 games.

The Skins OL last year had all of their starters get hurt and miss time and their three top back ups too. It affected their ability to run the ball for sure.

Players mentioned for standing out during the 1st day in pads:

-Mathew Thomas was described as nearly impossible to block and showed nice blitzing ability. (He and Samuels are my favorite acquisitions which is kinda sad). 

-James Connor: Did a better job on blitz pickups (Backs on Backers)

-Farrington Huguenin (Who?) was said to show some nice pass rush moves

-Keon Adams: Was "slick" and hard to block

-Jake Rodgers: Did a nice job mirroring during the 1 on 1 drills as did Feiler. 

-Chuk Okorafor: Has really nice feet and is very strong but does not use his hands at all. 

https://www.steelers.com/video/practice-report-first-day-in-pads

Updating a previous report, Pittsburgh Steelers OG Ramon Foster (knee) appears to have avoided a serious injury in practice Saturday, July 28. The extent of the damage has not been disclosed, however.  Source: NFL Network - Ian Rapoport

*"Serious" meaning not season ending. It was stated that he should be able to return this year but from the sound of it my guess is that it will be a while.

18 minutes ago, Chieferific said:

Updating a previous report, Pittsburgh Steelers OG Ramon Foster (knee) appears to have avoided a serious injury in practice Saturday, July 28. The extent of the damage has not been disclosed, however.  Source: NFL Network - Ian Rapoport

*"Serious" meaning not season ending. It was stated that he should be able to return this year but from the sound of it my guess is that it will be a while.

just let him heal, no need to rush a player back only to reinsure and possible end career. 

Archived