Official Training Camp 2018 Thread

12 minutes ago, warfelg said:

https://www.steelers.com/video/highlight-dupree-sacks

He beat him.  Got off the edge well, shielded his right side as he got in on the body of the LT, getting the hand right up on the NFL Logo.  That's either a sack or a hold 99/100 times.

Thanks war. Bud whipped that tackle like a rented mule. That is very encouraging. 

37 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

Can anyone describe the sack Bud made last night? I heard he didn't necessarily beat the OT but he showed really great get off. 

That's Dupree tho and always has been. He's the Ricky Bobby of LBs. First off the LOS. Or last. 

22 minutes ago, Chieferific said:

That's Dupree tho and always has been. He's the Ricky Bobby of LBs. First off the LOS. Or last. 

Just from watching his sack last night, I'm more encouraged. He didn't just win with get off. He dipped his inside shoulder well. He might never have great ankle bend and flexation but if he can dip his shoulder like that, he'll rack up double digit sacks this year. 

1 minute ago, MOSteelers56 said:

Just from watching his sack last night, I'm more encouraged. He didn't just win with get off. He dipped his inside shoulder well. He might never have great ankle bend and flexation but if he can dip his shoulder like that, he'll rack up double digit sacks this year. 

I hear ya and it sounds good but I've seen this before. He is the Tale of Two Cities (I gotta million of them). He is the best at times. He is the worst at times. Watching his tape in college Pre-Draft I saw a guy who is a SPARQ freak and shows it SOMETIMES. There has never been consistency with him. Maybe/hopefully the lightbulb comes on this year as they changed his role some.

25 minutes ago, Chieferific said:

I hear ya and it sounds good but I've seen this before. He is the Tale of Two Cities (I gotta million of them). He is the best at times. He is the worst at times. Watching his tape in college Pre-Draft I saw a guy who is a SPARQ freak and shows it SOMETIMES. There has never been consistency with him. Maybe/hopefully the lightbulb comes on this year as they changed his role some.

I'm just encouraged because he hasn't been feast or famine in his pro career. It's all been famine. I'm not sure if he's ever beaten an OT with a pass rushing move in his career. Seeing that he is capable of it excites me.  

4 hours ago, warfelg said:

https://www.steelers.com/video/highlight-dupree-sacks

He beat him.  Got off the edge well, shielded his right side as he got in on the body of the LT, getting the hand right up on the NFL Logo.  That's either a sack or a hold 99/100 times.

only vs a scrub. That wouldn't work vs a good LT as the good LT would push him past the QB as the QB steps up in the pocket.  Dupree did nothing the rest of the game he played, don't get your hopes up as far as  being a pass rusher 1 on 1 vs a legit LT

Berry was attrocious. And honestly shouldnt make the roster if there is an even remotely reasonable alternative. 

At this point I would also be really shocked if Jaylen Samuel or Marcus Allen made the roster. 

Jaylen Samuels is a reasonably good receiving threat but to this point as shown virtually no ability to be a legitimate running back. Marcus Allen was a wasted pic I like to the pic as a possible linebacker conversion initially but I just don't think that he's good enough in this league or at this level if he makes the practice squad he will be lucky. Rogers who we picked up on the offensive line I would be shocked as well if he made the roster. I'm also a little disappointed to say the least and Jon Bostic because while I do feel like he improves our running game he offers absolutely nothing in pass coverage. I do not feel like it would be hard to improve upon him and I would almost virtually guarantee before all is said and done that the Pittsburgh Steelers will add a linebacker via free agency or via trade that is going to be added to the roster

A good article on Big Dan and his change this year.

http://www.espn.com/blog/pittsburgh-steelers/post/_/id/28386/nfls-biggest-quietest-tantalizing-defender-is-changing-his-story

"They signed me back to a one-year deal -- well, I want a multiple-year deal," McCullers said. "I just have to work hard and grind my *** off so they can sign me for multiple years and I can make that money, set up my family to be good."

A motivated McCullers is exactly what the Steelers want. A former fifth-round pick with 28 career tackles in four seasons, he has earned some first-team reps in this week's practices after an active performance in the preseason opener in Philadelphia. And he impressed on Thursday against the Packers, starting the game and driving an interior lineman back and into the turf on two of the first three snaps.

Players and coaches are forecasting greatness -- with a qualifier.

"If that guy can get his motor running like we see it do sometimes, he can be a dominant force," defensive line coach Karl Dunbar said.

44 minutes ago, jebrick said:

Awesome article. Having a motivated Big Dan playing could really improve the run D. I’d really love to see Hargrave and Dan next to each other a few snaps a game. They could really wreck 3/5 of an O-line.

22 hours ago, 3rivers said:

only vs a scrub. That wouldn't work vs a good LT as the good LT would push him past the QB as the QB steps up in the pocket.  Dupree did nothing the rest of the game he played, don't get your hopes up as far as  being a pass rusher 1 on 1 vs a legit LT

It doesn't matter to me.  Dupree showed something that he hasn't showed before, a new move, something an OL player actually has to prepare for and react to.  He can only beat who's in front of him.  But it doesn't matter who's in front of him, getting inside on a guy is getting inside and that's hard as an OL player to disengage from.

19 minutes ago, warfelg said:

It doesn't matter to me.  Dupree showed something that he hasn't showed before, a new move, something an OL player actually has to prepare for and react to.  He can only beat who's in front of him.  But it doesn't matter who's in front of him, getting inside on a guy is getting inside and that's hard as an OL player to disengage from.

I bet he feels more comfortable bending at that angle from the other side. He had literally never shown anywhere close to a move like that in his career. I bet he breaks out.

3 hours ago, jebrick said:

Great story but the kid is lazy. So, you coast while you're under contract and then when it's time to get paid you "grind"? That drives me crazy. With his size he should dominate. He does not have that killer instinct. He is waaaay to laid back. That's who he is and that's Ok. That's how he's built. But I would never sign him to a multiple year deal because I know exactly what's going to happen.  

3 hours ago, warfelg said:

it wasn't a move at all. It was speed vs a non legit  OT.  Don't get your hopes up, thats all I am saying. Effort, yes. repeatable vs legit OT's - no :$

Archived