Official Training Camp 2018 Thread

1 minute ago, wwhickok said:

If there is any chance we use Switzer on offense i dont see Pittsburgh keeping 6 WRs.

I think it says more about Touissant's spot than it does for a WR. I think Samuels showed the coaching staff enough last game that it makes Frenchy and Ridley expendable.

4 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

I think it says more about Touissant's spot than it does for a WR. I think Samuels showed the coaching staff enough last game that it makes Frenchy and Ridley expendable.

Ridley offers nothing, wouldnt have a problem with Fitz not being on the roster despite my lack of optimism right now in Samuels. As long as Samuels continues to show progress Ill be on board with him being on the roster.

How often do return men actually get hurt? The biggest issue I have is that Brown basically conceded most punts he took in recent history. There was no actual attempt at a return. ESPN recently did a rare interesting article on Barry Sanders and his final college season. Besides running for about 3,000 yards, the guy was an incredible return man. Which isn't a surprise given his skill set. The Lions never used him that way in the NFL. As good as he was as a RB, he would have been twice the returner Hester was if the Lions had allowed him the chance. Brown isn't that dynamic with the ball in his hands, but I just always agreed with Tomlin's earlier position that the injury risk was overstated.

I'm fine taking Brown off, though. One or two big plays a year isn't worth the risk. They've been trending that way for years. Even when they've used Brown of late it's been pretty cowardly about it. It was clear that Brown wasn't going to return anything that didn't scream opportunity for a TD. But they really needed to trade to accomplish that? And you're going to use a roster spot entirely for it? It says that their previous plans failed miserably. And if they do this, they're going to lose a more versatile special teamer or a young WR who I think legitimately can play in the league. Or they keep 6 WR's which for a team that rarely even goes 4 wide, is pretty wasteful.

And for all the talk about Brown, getting Juju off kick return duties probably also factored in.

Hopefully Switzer proves me wrong and he's worth the spot and becomes the next Wes Welker while he's at it. Though he's barely going to see the field as a WR.

And on Bell, the thing that bothers me about him isn't that he holds out or wants to get paid. But that he's dumb. And that we have yet another example of that. Why keep the day you report a mystery and/or deny media reports on the matter?

1. It's already too late for the Steelers to sign you this year. There's no leverage to be had.

2. You've already said that you will report and play this year.

What do you accomplish besides creating needless drama? It's minor, but the things with him add up over time and paint the picture of a guy who off the field just isn't intelligent.

I have a few things to say.

First of all I will address the Le'Veon Bell situation. As far as Talent I'm sure we can all agree I absolutely love spell I wish we could keep him he's the best running back currently in the NFL. Having said that I'm over the drama and frankly James Conner has to me proving the ability to be a feature back so honestly I will be ready to say goodbye to Belle when the offseason gets here next year. Frankly I'm not sure that Bella doesn't deserve to be the backup all year considering the situation he is putting the team in.

The next thing I want to talk about is James Conner. First of all I absolutely loved the pic when it happened but I was a little worried throughout the season because I wasn't really seen the talent that I was excited for. This offseason we are definitely seen it and with that I do hope we drop the running back next year in the sixth or seventh round and no earlier. I truly believe that this team needs to put their face behind James Connor and show their support to him as our feature back going into next season.

On Jaylen Samuels I have been a Critic this offseason of him I wasn't completely annoyed by the pic in fact I supported it but through preseason I've not been his biggest fan. He admittedly had an excellent game and I will say this in support of him that is Here's another at least recently got game Against the plantaris I will put my full support behind jaylen Samuels and not Quit Seek him there all undeserving me this season in Justice League 1 player of the Season and take my judgement after.

On Ryan Switzer, I really like the trade I'm not sure I find myself excited about trades very often that the Steelers make necessarily and I'm not sure if excited is the right word in terms of Switzer but I like what he brings to the table as far as special teams and it's not like I'm expecting him to return kicks or punts every single time for a touchdown but even if he gets a handful this season and Antonio Brown stays healthy then acquiring Switzer was worth it.

the last thing I want to talk about is the depth on this roster specifically what I would like to see gone but what I expect not to see gone this season. Is Justin Hunter Anthony chickillo Coty Sensabaugh and Landry Jones were all cut this offseason you would not hear me complain. I expect all of them to be on the roster after the final 53-man roster is determined having said that I really truly hope that none of them are on the roster going into preseason next year. I think that the little bit that they actually offer this team is easily obtainable at a low price in the offseason or via the draft and yes I do hope in next year's draft we select a wide receiver not necessarily High but I still hope we select one that is able to make the roster someone that would play as our number for wide receiver I don't think there's any harm in acquiring depth through the draft because let's be honest at this point the biggest thing we need other the defense of help is depth

8 hours ago, CKSteeler said:

How often do return men actually get hurt? The biggest issue I have is that Brown basically conceded most punts he took in recent history. There was no actual attempt at a return. ESPN recently did a rare interesting article on Barry Sanders and his final college season. Besides running for about 3,000 yards, the guy was an incredible return man. Which isn't a surprise given his skill set. The Lions never used him that way in the NFL. As good as he was as a RB, he would have been twice the returner Hester was if the Lions had allowed him the chance. Brown isn't that dynamic with the ball in his hands, but I just always agreed with Tomlin's earlier position that the injury risk was overstated.

I'm fine taking Brown off, though. One or two big plays a year isn't worth the risk. They've been trending that way for years. Even when they've used Brown of late it's been pretty cowardly about it. It was clear that Brown wasn't going to return anything that didn't scream opportunity for a TD. But they really needed to trade to accomplish that? And you're going to use a roster spot entirely for it? It says that their previous plans failed miserably. And if they do this, they're going to lose a more versatile special teamer or a young WR who I think legitimately can play in the league. Or they keep 6 WR's which for a team that rarely even goes 4 wide, is pretty wasteful.

And for all the talk about Brown, getting Juju off kick return duties probably also factored in.

Hopefully Switzer proves me wrong and he's worth the spot and becomes the next Wes Welker while he's at it. Though he's barely going to see the field as a WR.

I have to think that the extra fatigue would be of greater concern than anything when putting a guy on for punt/kick return. I know these guys are in great shape, but being just a little bit more fresh could be huge for the game. I think it just becomes that the gap in return ability needs to be greater for it to be worth putting a starter on returns or any special teams because they're going to be more worn down at the end of the game with the extra snaps.

8 hours ago, CKSteeler said:

Why keep the day you report a mystery and/or deny media reports on the matter?

He said mid-summer that he's reporting after Labor Day as Week 1 starts.  There's little mystery if he sticks to his work there.

1 hour ago, warfelg said:

He said mid-summer that he's reporting after Labor Day as Week 1 starts.  There's little mystery if he sticks to his work there.

I'll be honest I'm not completely convinced that Le'Veon Bell can stay healthy if he does are port and is active for week one I don't honestly think he's going to make it through the season healthy. And for the record I am not hoping that he gets injured I just have a feeling in that regard

Archived