Official Training Camp 2018 Thread

9 minutes ago, Chieferific said:

Sounds great until the 3rd Quarter of Week 1 when McDonald goes down with some sort of injury. 

really hope he can stay healthy... I think he can produce real good numbers for us and his blocking is great but he's so fragile

I am honestly so excited to see this offense. Haley was too bland with the way he used his star pieces - he never looked to get mismatches, rather just lined his guys up assuming they were better and would win. Guys like McDonald and Bell can be special in the ways they line up and how you might motion them or align them around others to shift a defense. This team, especially in no huddle, has a unique chance to go 2 TE and 2 WR, force teams into base sets, and then move their pieces to dictate match up and coverage. 

Reading the first reports of camp, it seems like we are going to see McDonald all over the place and that's the first piece of my pipe-dream offense in 2018. 

I just want an offensive coordinator who realizes despite having great talent, putting those players in positions of mismatches and using their defensive focuses can only make them better. 

9 hours ago, MOSteelers56 said:

@jebrick looks like Morris left practice with a knee. He left on the cart. Hopefully it’s not too bad but odds are it is.

Give me a link because this is all I can find:

Backup center Parker Collins getting taken off on a cart. Trainers were working on right knee. #Steelers

On 2018-07-25 at 9:07 AM, steelcurtain29 said:

I'l tell you what losing Hubbard hurt us a hell of a lot more than we'd ever imagine.

A versatile 6th OL is worthy of near starter pay IMO, but how many teams think like this?  There 6th OL would be comparable to Justin Strzelczyk, quality starter at 4 spots on the OL but only paid less that any of the starters in the NFL :$ Wait, I mean paid what they are worth to the OL and team, so that is in todays terms about $5M per.  bIt's an insurance policy to keep the QB on the roster and better yet, be just as good overall. 

Hubbard played well in a limited role here, mostly OT , but that is crucial if we suffer injuries at OT. Hawkins was supposed to help but got hurt again. I agree, get another OT even if it requires a trade since  the rookie might need time. 

On 2018-07-25 at 4:52 PM, jebrick said:

Thomas will be the popular pick for UDFA to make the team.  I will be watching Patrick Morris C Texas Christian.  More athletic than Pouncey coming out of college.

6'2.5" 300 pounder ran a 5.09 40 (Pouncey 5.29), had 37 reps (Pouncey 25), 35.5" vertical jump (Pouncey 27"), 4.41 short shuttle (Pouncey 4.92), 7.34 3 cone (Pouncey 7.74).  He will make the team.  Perhaps take over for Pouncey after 2020 when Pouncey is a UFA

Good if true, always need 7 good OL IMO, and C can't be forgotten. 

On 2018-07-27 at 8:18 AM, turtle28 said:

Where’d Big Ben go? More like Slim Ben! He wouldn’t say how much he lost by going carb and sugar free this offseason but it looks like at least 30 pounds, if not more.

he whined and talked about retiring last year. He got his way and is interested again. Cute. Next he will get a 3 year $75M deal, but thanks for that 2017 season where you just mailed it in.

On 2018-07-27 at 9:34 AM, Dcash4 said:

I am honestly so excited to see this offense. Haley was too bland with the way he used his star pieces - he never looked to get mismatches, rather just lined his guys up assuming they were better and would win. Guys like McDonald and Bell can be special in the ways they line up and how you might motion them or align them around others to shift a defense. This team, especially in no huddle, has a unique chance to go 2 TE and 2 WR, force teams into base sets, and then move their pieces to dictate match up and coverage. 

Reading the first reports of camp, it seems like we are going to see McDonald all over the place and that's the first piece of my pipe-dream offense in 2018. 

I just want an offensive coordinator who realizes despite having great talent, putting those players in positions of mismatches and using their defensive focuses can only make them better. 

the problem i have with all this is that it takes away rushing carries. I think we need to rush a bit more but this looks as though we are going further away from that.  We had elite exciting offence , what did we win?

22 minutes ago, 3rivers said:

he whined and talked about retiring last year. He got his way and is interested again. Cute. Next he will get a 3 year $75M deal, but thanks for that 2017 season where you just mailed it in.

Mailed it in? Steelers were super bowl contenders last year and if Shazier doesn’t get hurt who knows what happens.

5 hours ago, 3rivers said:

the problem i have with all this is that it takes away rushing carries. I think we need to rush a bit more but this looks as though we are going further away from that.  We had elite exciting offence , what did we win?

They have lost because of the defense recently. If the defense is better - particularly the linebackers - the team will go further in the playoffs. If Watt, Bostic, Williams and Dupree don’t step up and be better than what the linebackers were after Shazier went down last year then the team is likely capped out as a wildcard winner but not much else. 

I’m still shocked they didn’t take an ILB in the top 3 rounds. I hope Edmunds learns/does enough to be a dime ILB/3rd S for when teams are spreading the Steelers 3-4 D out because they need to get him on the field and need more speed/coverage ability on the field for when teams are in obvious passing situations.

I understand why they took James Washington in round 2 but it seems to me they could have signed a 3rd wr and taken an ILB in round 2 like Jerome Baker or Malik Jefferson.

4 hours ago, 3rivers said:

This doesn't take away from the run game. It can actually enhance it. MCDonald can line up wide, in line, in the backfield, or in the slot - that's options in both the passing and running game as a blocker or receiver. Just because I said Bell is flexible doesn't mean you go empty set all the time. Having the ability to be 2 tight with a power run scheme on one play, to going 3 wide with McDonald split out the next play, to lining up with McDonald as a lead blocker the next play is vesitility for both the run and pass. 

Archived