Official Training Camp 2018 Thread

7 hours ago, Dcash4 said:

I love this stuff. I harped on it somewhere else about being in 2 TE, 2WR sets and having multiple looks to create mismatches. Would love to see that formation with McDonald wide right and James tight left on trips -- then motion AB from left to slot right and see how the defense reacts. If they are in base defenses, they will have a hard time covering up AB and with AB in slot and McDonald out wide, it will open space for Bell (with a TE still in as an extra blocker). 

Love the potential, and hope Fitchner is more creative than Haley. 

is there footage of the 84vs25 matchup?  A mismatch, worth a laugh or two. Where is Haden vs AB?

@jebrick if burns is out for many games, I expect others to step up and no loss to be noticed. 

PIT D 2017:
(percentages express deviation from the NFL avg vs an NFL avg offense, and are measured on a play by play results, factoring in play/game situation)

vs #1 WR 4.3% (17)
vs #2 -10.9% (10)
left (Burns side) 19.3% (30).
middle -7.7% (5)
right Haden/Sensabaugh/Sutton) -19.2% (2)
deep 42.3% (26)...
short -17.2% (5)...
D Left 49.9%...
D Mid 7.5%...
D Right 58.4%...
Sh Left 9.4%
sh mid -11.7%
sh right -44.3%

Burns had a lot of issues last year.  i am hoping the new DB coach can fix them.  Haden was pretty solid.  The stats above show an issue with Burns and the safety play.

5 hours ago, jebrick said:

PIT D 2017:
(percentages express deviation from the NFL avg vs an NFL avg offense, and are measured on a play by play results, factoring in play/game situation)

vs #1 WR 4.3% (17)
vs #2 -10.9% (10)
left (Burns side) 19.3% (30).
middle -7.7% (5)
right Haden/Sensabaugh/Sutton) -19.2% (2)
deep 42.3% (26)...
short -17.2% (5)...
D Left 49.9%...
D Mid 7.5%...
D Right 58.4%...
Sh Left 9.4%
sh mid -11.7%
sh right -44.3%

Burns had a lot of issues last year.  i am hoping the new DB coach can fix them.  Haden was pretty solid.  The stats above show an issue with Burns and the safety play.

I’m wondering if because Burns was the #2 that he generally got tasked with Sean Davis on his size instead of Mike Mitchell covering him up on the back end.

It’s definitely true that Burns hasn’t developed into anything special and that he was overdrafted a bit but he is still on his rookie deal and just going into his 3rd year. 

This year and next year are definitely make and break for him. He must perform better but so must the Steelers pass rush. The pass defense is not just a reflection of the back 6/7 but also of the front 4/5 getting pressure on the QB.

8 hours ago, gatek99 said:

Are any UDFA standing out who can potentially make the 53 man roster? Any draft picks falling out of the 53?

I think Thomas ( ILB) will make the 53.  I think Adeniyi (OLB) has a chance because of the poor depth but I see a PS for him.  i would like to see Patrick Morris make the team but I think PS is where he goes.  Hope they do not lose him.

Personally, I do not see how Marcus Allen ( 5.110) makes the team.  He can't play safety in the NFL.  At best he is a special teams player.

I expect the Steelers to make a move during the camp cuts to help their OT situation.

19 minutes ago, August4th said:

looks like Hodges can't stick with a team... he might just be a camp body for the TE position until Vance is ready to go

Totally agreed there. We already have a solid 3, going to be really hard to make the team. 

2 hours ago, August4th said:

Updating a previous report, Pittsburgh Steelers WR Antonio Brown (quadriceps) is dealing with a strained quadriceps but is expected to return to practice in a few days, according to a source.

Brown probably will return to the practice field at some point next week but may not play until the third preseason game like he did last year.

Source: ProFootballTalk.com - Michael David Smith

Edmunds has been playing as the Big Nickel/Dime Safety/LB.  Reports are no QB (even Ben) has been able to complete a pass on him.  He's unafraid to stick his nose in there on run downs too.  Burnett has been starting at SS and Davis at FS, although it seems as though the positions there are meaningless as they have been swapping responsibilities.

Marcus Allen is also looking good, playing the combo safety position too.

3 hours ago, warfelg said:

Edmunds has been playing as the Big Nickel/Dime Safety/LB.  Reports are no QB (even Ben) has been able to complete a pass on him.  He's unafraid to stick his nose in there on run downs too.  Burnett has been starting at SS and Davis at FS, although it seems as though the positions there are meaningless as they have been swapping responsibilities.

Marcus Allen is also looking good, playing the combo safety position too.

A lot of good news here. I think the talk of the no ILB defense is likely due to Edmunds and Allen filling LB roles on passing downs.

Archived