Training Camp Thread

Titans fan 617

I’m also annoyed with some of the B.B.-type antics, but am hoping it’s something that he outgrows over time as he learns how to be his own HC. 

Still his first offseason, first time handling with the media in this capacity. I’m not crazy about the behavior, but I’m confident in Vrable and am giving him the benefit of the doubt 

I don't really care about the BB stuff. Mularkey wasn't exactly forthcoming with injuries either, so it's not like it's something we're not used to. My biggest issue with Vrabel comes down to actual scheming. He might end up great as a leader of men, but his single stint as DC was downright dreadful. So long as he lets Pees run the defense(and assuming Vrabel is here a long time, lets each DC run the defense after Pees retires, etc) it shouldn't be an issue, but I feel a guy like Vrabel might like control too much.

It's potentially the same issue Mularkey had. Great leader of men, completely turned this franchise around which I feel just because of the offensive struggles last year some people forget, but being unwilling to let go of the scheme aspect of things got him fired. And hell at least Mularkey had success as an OC in the league at different points, Vrabel comes in with his single year as a DC resulting in the worst defense in football.

It's currently a fabricated issue because Vrabel has yet to give us reason to believe he's going to meddle much in either side of the ball play calling wise, but it's a potential worry none the less.

8 hours ago, TitanLegend said:

I don't really care about the BB stuff. Mularkey wasn't exactly forthcoming with injuries either, so it's not like it's something we're not used to. My biggest issue with Vrabel comes down to actual scheming. He might end up great as a leader of men, but his single stint as DC was downright dreadful. So long as he lets Pees run the defense(and assuming Vrabel is here a long time, lets each DC run the defense after Pees retires, etc) it shouldn't be an issue, but I feel a guy like Vrabel might like control too much.

It's potentially the same issue Mularkey had. Great leader of men, completely turned this franchise around which I feel just because of the offensive struggles last year some people forget, but being unwilling to let go of the scheme aspect of things got him fired. And hell at least Mularkey had success as an OC in the league at different points, Vrabel comes in with his single year as a DC resulting in the worst defense in football.

It's currently a fabricated issue because Vrabel has yet to give us reason to believe he's going to meddle much in either side of the ball play calling wise, but it's a potential worry none the less.

I know Houston had a bad year defensively last season, but I assumed it was primarily due to being ravaged by injuries. Care to elaborate on the actual scheming issues? I haven't heard anyone delve into that aspect of it. In fact, I thought X's and O's were supposedly a strength of his.     

Also it's pretty clear they had a set approach/design for Davis.  When season starts, he is going to be required to give specifics about injuries or risk being fined. I think it is kind of silly, but it is what it is.

As long as they have a clear plan for recovery, I'm good. It seems like they do have a clear plan. Maybe they are being over-cautious? Better to have Davis for the season opener rather than risk him for a pre-season game?  He looked great last practice so whatever it was, it clearly wasn't anything major. 

Evans who knows. 

10 hours ago, TitanLegend said:

I said early on I feel like we're going to end up regretting hiring Vrabel over LaFleur. Nothing to really back up that idea yet, but just a gut feeling.

Not jumping on you, but are we already second guessing a hire based on his injury policy?  Forget if Marcus looks better or if the team plays better...etc. :)

I feel once the season starts, we aren't going to get these mysteries with injuries. They are required to report or risk being fined or worst.  I know you have your gut feeling, but I hope it's based on more than how he reports injuries. :) 

4 hours ago, ShupacTakur said:

I know Houston had a bad year defensively last season, but I assumed it was primarily due to being ravaged by injuries. Care to elaborate on the actual scheming issues? I haven't heard anyone delve into that aspect of it. In fact, I thought X's and O's were supposedly a strength of his.     

I think the largest issue came with how he handled the loss of Watt and Mercilus. He left his NT in on over 50% of snaps, including a lot of pass rushing snaps, and used a ton of 3 ILB sets which is rather weird if you ask me in this day in age in the NFL. I mean you can only do so much to replace the production that those two give, but he threw pretty much everything on Clowney's back in regards to pass rush. He didn't try much in the way of exotic blitzes to get pressure(think of how LeBeau would often use scheme to get pass rush over talent throughout his career), he tried to rely too heavily on his coverage to save the defense when the Texans secondary was average in talent. The lack of adjustment to the injuries is just troubling to me.

4 hours ago, KingTitan said:

Not jumping on you, but are we already second guessing a hire based on his injury policy?  Forget if Marcus looks better or if the team plays better...etc. :)

I feel once the season starts, we aren't going to get these mysteries with injuries. They are required to report or risk being fined or worst.  I know you have your gut feeling, but I hope it's based on more than how he reports injuries. :) 

Has 0 to do with the injury situation, as I noted. The injury thing is kind of annoying as a fan but ultimately meaningless. Felt that way about Vrabel since we announced the hire.

5 hours ago, KingTitan said:

I will say is when I first got to hear LaFleur talk I did post in hear that if we had hired him as the HC he would have won me over fairly quick. I like the way he presents himself and like the way he talks football. 

As for Vrabel I said before I wasn’t against the signing and wasn’t over the moon for it but I’m interested to see it out. He has to be himself he can’t do what McDaniels and Mangini did and try be a Bill Belichick clone. The injury thing is fine just don’t grunt an moan an belittle the media (which he hasn’t) and try to reinvent the wheel and try to out smart everyone then pee down his leg when the Pats come to Nashville.

I just want change. I don’t want the same crappy feeling going into games. I want to come out fast at times I want the fans back and I want an identity. 

Cant wait for Miami though I would love to come out an make a statement week 1 sort of how the rams did vs the Colts last year 

I firmly believe Finch makes this team especially with his ability to play special teams. Usually I don’t get excited about UDFAs but there’s something different with him. Would like to see him get reps higher in the depth chart. Definitely noticed Finch more against the Packers then I did Wallace or Caraway,

32 minutes ago, TitanSS said:

It's not a coaches job to worry about fans being annoyed. 

It’s also not a coach’s job to actively annoy fans and media members for absolutely no reason with no actual benefit. Particularly in a city that has a history of struggling with fan support.

If anything, he’s only drawing more attention to the Evans situation with the way he’s handling it.

If we win football games, none of it matters. Obviously. But when you take over a team that is coming off of a playoff win and has high expectations, I just don’t see the point of almost immediately frustrating fans and media members. Earn some goodwill. There’s a real chance you’ll need it.

19 hours ago, ttitansfan4life said:

I firmly believe Finch makes this team especially with his ability to play special teams. Usually I don’t get excited about UDFAs but there’s something different with him. Would like to see him get reps higher in the depth chart. Definitely noticed Finch more against the Packers then I did Wallace or Caraway,

I also do agree and believe Finch should and will make the team. He seems to have a nice set of pass rush moves and the more pass rushers we have the better in the NFL. He made Byron Bell look like a clown the whole time he went against him. Yes Byron Bell is not that good but still a very impressive start for the rookie.

I look forward to seeing more of Finch.

Another area I am really curious about is WR. Could it be Sharpe doesn't even make it? To me Jennings, Williams, Burnett all deserve consideration and a few others even. I know they keep hyping up Sharpe in practice and he was a Robinson pick but wonder if he will make the final 53. I guess yes as he is a safe option but I would hate to see someone like Burnett or heck Williams even impressed me get cut to play it safe. Campanaro is yet to practice or play for a bit too and wasn't he supposed to be like what Williams has been? It is an interesting one to watch and the Titans need to pick the WRs right as there are durability concerns with some of the players in the mix.

Archived