Training Camp Thread

Titans fan 617

20 minutes ago, -Hope- said:

nothing makes me more sympathetic to vrabel's closed door policy than how much of an absolute child paul kuharsky is about it lol

He has become my least favorite reporter. Maybe if he spent more time reporting and less time bitching about the team and taking out personal vendettas on other reporters I wouldn't have unfollowed him on Twitter.

4 hours ago, titansNvolsR#1 said:

@ragevsuall17, tell me we can afford him. What would you guys be willing to give up? A first + a player?  

Right now? 100% we can... but it'll leave some tough choices down the line... with so much invested in Lewan, Mariota, and Mack... don't get me wrong....that's a solid foundation definitely... might be the best QB/LT/Edge trio in ther NFL... But with so many resources there, there'd be a little squeeze.... but not as horrible as it seems... with Conklin, Byard, Davis, Adoree, Henry coming up on 2nd contracts... some aging and well compensated vets will be coming off... Rak, Morgan, Walker, Casey even... it's the passing of the guard in a sense. 

31 minutes ago, ragevsuall17 said:

Right now? 100% we can... but it'll leave some tough choices down the line... with so much invested in Lewan, Mariota, and Mack... don't get me wrong....that's a solid foundation definitely... might be the best QB/LT/Edge trio in ther NFL... But with so many resources there, there'd be a little squeeze.... but not as horrible as it seems... with Conklin, Byard, Davis, Adoree, Henry coming up on 2nd contracts... some aging and well compensated vets will be coming off... Rak, Morgan, Walker, Casey even... it's the passing of the guard in a sense. 

Casey is under contract through 2022. Not so sure he'd qualify as a guy that'll be coming off any time soon. From what I can see Casey's contract is set up to where we can cut him after this season without it hurting our cap(but I'm no expert, just from a quick glance at it), but I can't imagine ever actually cutting Casey. Even trading for Mack that'd be kinda pointless, you lose your dominant guy on the line then ask Mack to create all the pressure instead. Doesn't really improve the pass rush quite as much that way.

18 hours ago, TitanLegend said:

Casey is under contract through 2022. Not so sure he'd qualify as a guy that'll be coming off any time soon. From what I can see Casey's contract is set up to where we can cut him after this season without it hurting our cap(but I'm no expert, just from a quick glance at it), but I can't imagine ever actually cutting Casey. Even trading for Mack that'd be kinda pointless, you lose your dominant guy on the line then ask Mack to create all the pressure instead. Doesn't really improve the pass rush quite as much that way.

I think you missed the point. All the contracts are obviously not expiring or being terminated at the same time... just like Davis and Adoree aren't FAs for another 4 seasons including this one... the Walker/Casey contracts aren't ending after this year or next year. 

There's also the way teams structure the contracts. Not all contracts are the same... some contracts have cap hits that increase as they go on, some are somewhat evenly distributed, some are prorated so the larger cap hits happen earlier.

Bottom line, they can afford Mack like they could have afforded Suh in the offseason. Mack being younger means more commitment, but it's the same basic concept. It'll mean a couple players that would have been otherwise kept may be let go for cheaper options... but it doesn't necessarily mean it's our core that's affected.  Maybe we don't go after 2 10M+/year CBs... and go 10 and 5 instead... things of that nature. (Numbers aren't meant to mean much, btw... just being used for example here) 

1 minute ago, ttitansfan4life said:

Well that’s encouraging.... 

Personally I think most of the guys who’ve missed time would be a “go” if it was the regular season. Matthews, Walker, Orakpo, Butler, and possibly Morgan should be ready come Week 1. Landry’s injury didn’t look too serious either.

Yeah. I dunno how I feel about how much rest we've given players. Not sure if it's a good thing or a bad thing. I've read things supporting both schools of thought so I dunno.

Archived