Training Camp Thread

Titans fan 617

5 hours ago, VY said:

I have been excited with high expectations but this WR problem is becoming a glaring issue. Davis out again today, so essentially we have Taywan and a bunch of filler. Mathews and Davis are big question marks in terms of if we can depend on their health.

The lack of updates from the team brass is annoying as well. Whatever competitive edge they think they are gaining is pretty useless. Obviously fans opinion isn't the end all but they won't gain much understanding by not giving even minimal updates on those guys. And by not making a move at WR they are essentially saying "we're good" when it seems anything but that.

That's definitely my biggest concern right now.  Lafell's available, and I think he'd be an amazing fit here... better than any of the other options that have been available since March. 

I just don't understand the hardheadedness with WR... outside our 2 starters, we have a total of 130 career receptions behind them from the 5 non-rookies.... an average of 26 career receptions per... or, if you take their 15 combined accrued seasons... under 2 receptions per receiver per season. 

If the passing game struggles this first game... they need to make a move... no matter what "vanilla" or gameplanning excuses may be trotted out there. 

Two tight end sets have been what the offense has been running the majority of the time, per Kuharsky, in practice. Delanie and Jonnu will likely have a ton of targets. If two tight end is our base, can get by with Davis-Matthews-Taylor-Sharpe.

That being said I find WR to be probably the least valuable position on the entire team, so take that for what it's worth from me.

18 minutes ago, TitanLegend said:

Two tight end sets have been what the offense has been running the majority of the time, per Kuharsky, in practice. Delanie and Jonnu will likely have a ton of targets. If two tight end is our base, can get by with Davis-Matthews-Taylor-Sharpe.

That being said I find WR to be probably the least valuable position on the entire team, so take that for what it's worth from me.

I mean yeah, we can get by with those four. But Matthews hasn't practiced yet and Davis missed today after dealing with a nagging hamstring for the majority of last year. We shouldn't be putting ourselves in a position where we're completely relying on the two of them to field even borderline competent receivers in the regular season.

Something to be more concerned about than the WR position is if we're seriously going to have to start Will Compton at ILB.

People on this forum complained(way too much, fwiw) about Avery Williamson..man just wait til you have to watch Compton attempt to play the position.

Well the goal was for Evans to start at ILB beside Woodyard.  Then the mystery “injury” happened. Compton and Brown are meant to serve as depth but I’m completely fine if either one have to start a game or 2. Not exactly a huge difference in Williamson and Compton regardless. Both suck in coverage and are primarily early down backers. Difference is, one isn’t severely overpaid to be an early down backer.

19 minutes ago, ttitansfan4life said:

Well the goal was for Evans to start at ILB beside Woodyard.  Then the mystery “injury” happened. Compton and Brown are meant to serve as depth but I’m completely fine if either one have to start a game or 2. Not exactly a huge difference in Williamson and Compton regardless. Both suck in coverage and are primarily early down backers. Difference is, one isn’t severely overpaid to be an early down backer.

There's a gigantic difference between Williamson and Compton.

Compton is one of the worst ILBs in football, both against the run and the pass. Williamson might be the best run defender at the position, albeit a liability in coverage. Compton isn't good at doing anything. Mentally he's great, physically he has no business being in the NFL.

2nd straight year we've drafted a guy in the first round that can't even get on the practice field. Pretty irritating. And now Corey Davis seems to be hurt again too, because of course he is.

I guess at least with the Evans injury we can still rely on the d-line and secondary to try and cover up the gross inability of Compton.

4 hours ago, TitanLegend said:

Out of necessity.

I know the were quite a few discussions last year about the discrepancy between us and the Rams in regards to 11 personnel... and here we go again going heavy(ier) with 12 personnel. And I like Jonnu, I just don't like being forced into personnel sets because we refuse to address a position. 

We can mitigate it some by going Walker or Lewis out wide. But why not just bring another wr we'd be comfortable starting if our top 2 miss any time? (Yes Decker was one for me previously, Lafell is the guy I like in that role now) 

In 2016, we were dead last running 40% of our snaps out of 11 personnel (nfl average was 60% https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stat-analysis/2017/2016-offensive-personnel-analysis).

Last year we improved to 44%, still well below the league average... with the Rams at 81% (couldn't find the FO stats for 2017, so it may be slightly different, but it here's the source https://www.sharpfootballstats.com/personnel-grouping-frequency.html).

So while I dig that our OC is not gonna force his philosophy on the personnel and will instead play to its strengths... why can't we throw him a friggin' bone so he could run his style of offense more often? There's a reason we wanted this kinda change, a reason why someone like LaFleur was such a great get (at least in my opinion) . And here we are,  running an offense better suited in the 1980s. Biscuits would be proud. 

3 hours ago, ttitansfan4life said:

Yeah, Compton starting isn't a concern to, and it's got nothing to do with running Compton is our future Ray Ray. 

I believe all 4 ILBs are getting playing time, and even if Compton gets the starter designation all season, I expect his snaps to be the lowest of the 4 (barring injury)... but I also expect a fluid situation here based on opponent, game flow, effectiveness, and the progression of Evans.

Regardless of the "starter" ilb is one of our deepest positions 1-4 (and only 1-2 play on most snaps).

It also doesn't hurt that it's our HCs former position and the position he's had success  developing as a coach... and a position our DC has had some very good players at as well. 

4 hours ago, TitanLegend said:

Something to be more concerned about than the WR position is if we're seriously going to have to start Will Compton at ILB.

People on this forum complained(way too much, fwiw) about Avery Williamson..man just wait til you have to watch Compton attempt to play the position.

I don't think Compton is someone to worry about. He isn't dynamic, but i don't think he will be a huge liability, especially with Jayon Brown able to cover the TEs.

1 hour ago, ragevsuall17 said:

Out of necessity.

I know the were quite a few discussions last year about the discrepancy between us and the Rams in regards to 11 personnel... and here we go again going heavy(ier) with 12 personnel. And I like Jonnu, I just don't like being forced into personnel sets because we refuse to address a position. 

We can mitigate it some by going Walker or Lewis out wide. But why not just bring another wr we'd be comfortable starting if our top 2 miss any time? (Yes Decker was one for me previously, Lafell is the guy I like in that role now) 

In 2016, we were dead last running 40% of our snaps out of 11 personnel (nfl average was 60% https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stat-analysis/2017/2016-offensive-personnel-analysis).

Last year we improved to 44%, still well below the league average... with the Rams at 81% (couldn't find the FO stats for 2017, so it may be slightly different, but it here's the source https://www.sharpfootballstats.com/personnel-grouping-frequency.html).

So while I dig that our OC is not gonna force his philosophy on the personnel and will instead play to its strengths... why can't we throw him a friggin' bone so he could run his style of offense more often? There's a reason we wanted this kinda change, a reason why someone like LaFleur was such a great get (at least in my opinion) . And here we are,  running an offense better suited in the 1980s. Biscuits would be proud. 

I mean signing LaFell or whoever else would be all fine and good for depth I guess, but Brandon LaFell isn't scaring anyone much more than Taylor or Sharpe. Adding another mediocre WR to our mediocre(or worse) WR corp doesn't really impact it all that much I don't think. LaFell has been around a 600-700 yards a year guy the majority of his career. I don't think if you add LaFell or anyone else currently on the market you suddenly think "ok we can run more 3 WR+ sets now that LaFell(or insert FA here) is here instead of Taylor or Sharpe".

I don't think I'd feel any noticeable difference in comfort if Matthews or Davis is sitting for LaFell instead of Taylor or Sharpe. I mean sure he's a bit better but he's still just a guy.

If the scheme is as good as everyone praises it to be, and Mariota lives up to expectations, it's not gonna matter what the name of the receiver is so long as they can just catch a pass. Outside of a very, very select few in this league, receivers are schemed open and thrown open. They don't get open by themselves.

30 minutes ago, KingTitan said:

I don't think Compton is someone to worry about. He isn't dynamic, but i don't think he will be a huge liability, especially with Jayon Brown able to cover the TEs.

He's been a pretty big liability when playing any meaningful number of snaps for Washington, in each season he was there no less. Guy just doesn't have what it takes to play in this league physically. Vrabel and Pees being his coaches is all great and all but technique and the mental aspect have been the strong points of Compton in his career, he doesn't need help there. He needs to trade bodies with someone that actually belongs at the linebacker position in football.

Archived