BDL 2018 Summer Owners Meeting

SirA1

We're going to try something different this time. I'll post a topic for discussion and then we'll discuss and vote after about 12 hours of discussion starting at Noon the next day. One Topic a day until the end of the week. There are only 7 topics so we'll be done hopefully by Sunday. I'll preview the next day's topic. This way the important stuff will hit when PR is back.

Topic 1: Match BDL Salary Cap to previous years' NFL Salary Cap. This would repeal and replace any previous BDL Salary cap formula increases.

Yes (12): Pheltz, Hockey, BCB, Ragnarok, Xmad, Lukic, Dingo, Counselor, JLash, Ruskie, SirA, PR

No (2) - MD4L, Footsy

Topic 2: Add a Franchise Tag at the Avg of the Top 5 BDL players salary fo UFA's.

No (12) - Whicker, Pheltz, Xmad, Counselor, Ragnarok, TedLavie, JLash, Hockey, Ruskie, SirA, Dingo, PR

Topic 3: Reduce the FA Max Contract size for BDL players from 6 to 5 years. 

Yes (9) - Footy, SirA, JLash, XMad, Ruskie, MD4L, Dingo, PR, Pheltz

No (5) - Whicker, BCB, Hockey, Ted, Lukic

Topic 4: Increase # of years on mid and late round draft picks (Rounds 5-7) from 3 years to 4 years.

Yes (1) - PR, 

No (9) - SirA, Whicker, Dingo, Pheltz, MD4L, Lukic, Ragnarok, BCB, Hockey

Topic 5: PFA Scramble order flipped from first to worst for Round 2.

Yes (8) - SirA1, Bcb, Pheltz, MD4L, Lukic, Dingo, Ted, XMad

No (7) - Hockey, PR, Counselor, Ruskie, JLash, Whicker, Ragnarok 

Topic 6: Increase the minimum opening bid in FA from 40% salary to 50% salary.

Yes (9) - SirA1, Xmad, JLash, Pheltz, Ted, Whicker, Dingo, Ragnarok, Ruskie

No (5) - BcB, MD4L, Skunkapes, Hockey, PR

Topic 7: Reduce the amount a 3 Up contract is based on from 85% to 75%.

Yes (9) - SkunkApes, SirA1, Ruskie, Xmad, PR, Lukic, Hockey, Whicker, JLash

No (4) - Ragnarok, Bcb, Pheltz, MD4L

East Division 

Camden Hood Rats – @Jlash*2014 BDL Champions
Sydney Dingos – @DingoLadd
Gotham Gashslayers – @pheltzbahr *2015 BDL Champions
Orlando Ospreys – @SkunkApes

West Division 

Oklahoma City Rogues – @Whicker
Long Beach Leprechauns – @Counselor*2012 BDL Champions
Louisiana Jazz – @WFLukic
Wichita Woodpeckers – @PR

Atlantic Division 

Berlin Blitzkrieg – @Ragnarok
Cuba Smugglers – @MD4L
Ivory Coast Black Rhinos – @RuskieTitan
Rome Eternals – @bcb1213*2017 BDL Champions

Pacific Division 

Hawaii Nightmarchers – @Hockey5djh co owner @EaglesPeteC
Portland Horned Owls – @OleXmad
Seoul Dragons – @TedLavie *2016 BDL Champions
Singapore Sentinels – @SirA1

9 hours ago, SirA1 said:

Topic 1: 7/23 Noon Vote

BDL cap is set at NFL Cap Level (in thousands) for the given season. (WFLukic)

I'd really love to hear the logic against.

I like the idea of matching the NFL cap for the given season because it takes the math out of it. While I think the 2% raise per year or whatever it was is a good starting point I think we'll eventually hit a point where your raises aren't moving fast enough to keep up with NFL contracts and that's specifically because the NFL cap will be moving at a quicker rate than ours. 

Agree taking the math out of raising caps is the way to go.  Takes any bias out of Owner's decision whether they have players to sign or not.  As I've been saying for a few season now, the contract sizes the we are going to see going forward for elite and very good players are going to be yuge.

Approve 1

The ONLY concern I have with matching the NFL cap is the affect on BDL year 1. Right now we're at 170, going to 177 is a solid jump but if the NFL makes another big jump like expected we could be adding over 10 mil in cap space in one offseason which could be messy.

Unless we "cap" the raise to a certain amount until we hit it? Something like a 5% cap.

If we did a 5% cap it would mean next year would raise by 8.5 mil, next year would only be able to be raised by 8.925 mil, the next year would be 9.37 mil raise, etc. until we've caught up to the cap and then we just assume the NFL cap number?

30 minutes ago, Hockey5djh said:

The ONLY concern I have with matching the NFL cap is the affect on BDL year 1. Right now we're at 170, going to 177 is a solid jump but if the NFL makes another big jump like expected we could be adding over 10 mil in cap space in one offseason which could be messy.

Whatever we do currently as far as cap wouldn't go into effect until next off season 

I am unaware of how the cap was previously calculated. I just trust everyone. But I like the idea of sticking with the NFL cap. Problem being when do those numbers get released? Because that could affect how we do our free agency.

2 hours ago, pheltzbahr said:

How about a 1 year trailing follow...so we would match the NFL cap, but the previous year's #.

I'd be ok with this. Also gives you a clear picture of what the cap will jump to the next season during FA and the draft as opposed to the guessing game of staying exactly with the NFL.

Archived