Top 10 Denver Broncos of All-Time?

jsthomp2007

I recently saw NFL's did a Top 10 Broncos of all-time.  I agree with it in some respects, I think they missed a few. What is your top 10? 

1) John Elway

2) Terrell Davis

3) Steve Atwater 

4) Floyd Little 

5) Gary Zimmerman 

6) Shannon Sharp

7) Tom Nalen

8) Champ Bailey 

9) Peyton Manning 

10) Randy Gradishar 

I know Von was on there, and in a few years he can get there.  But, he isn't there yet.  However, he did almost singlehandedly win us a Super Bowl...maybe he should be on the list.  I will go 10a) Von Miller.  And, maybe Manning doesn't go up there, because I still view him as a Colt when his name comes to mind...however, he supercharged our mediocre team into a perennial contender even if it was a few short years.  But, so many others that probably deserve to be in the top 10, and these are just off the top of my head: Dennis Smith, Rod Smith, Ed McCaffrey, Tom Jackson, Karl Mecklenburg, Rulon Jones, Billy Thompson, Howard Griffin (you can make an argument that without him TD doesn't succeed like he did), Haven Moses, Mark Schlereth, Simon Fletcher? 

My list. 

1) John Elway

2) Champ Bailey 

3) Peyton Manning 

4) Shannon Sharp 

5) Terrell Davis

6) Gary Zimmerman 

7) Steve Atwater 

8) Von Miller 

9) Tom Nalen

10) Randy Gradishar 

Elway is obviously No. 1. Champ edges out Peyton because of his longer tenure, but I could see an argument putting Peyton No. 2 and Champ No. 3. Sharp also edges TD based on longevity, same goes for Zimmerman. Steve Atwater should be in the HOF and should have been there for some time, same goes for Gradishar and Tommy Nalen. Von is quickly climbing the list and, by the time he is done, will easily be top-five. 

25 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

My list. 

1) John Elway

2) Champ Bailey 

3) Peyton Manning 

4) Shannon Sharp 

5) Terrell Davis

6) Gary Zimmerman 

7) Steve Atwater 

8) Von Miller 

9) Tom Nalen

10) Randy Gradishar 

Elway is obviously No. 1. Champ edges out Peyton because of his longer tenure, but I could see an argument putting Peyton No. 2 and Champ No. 3. Sharp also edges TD based on longevity, same goes for Zimmerman. Steve Atwater should be in the HOF and should have been there for some time, same goes for Gradishar and Tommy Nalen. Von is quickly climbing the list and, by the time he is done, will easily be top-five. 

I think after his playoff run in 2015, if he can have a few more dominant season, and another good run in the playoffs Von will be eassily top 5 and maybe closer to top 3.

My list:

1.  John Elway

2.  Peyton Manning

3.  Champ Bailey

4.  Terrell Davis

5.  Shannon Sharpe

6.  Gary Zimmeran

7.  Von Miller

8.  Tom Nalen

9.  Steve Atwater

10.  Rod Smith

I'm just going to rank players I've seen play personally so everyone from the Orange Crush era through early 80s are not included. 

1. John Elway

Obviously.

2. Von Miller
3. Terrell Davis

Two unstoppable players at their peaks who were the best players on championship teams. They don't need longevity to rank as high as they do for me. 

4. Champ Bailey
5. Shannon Sharpe

Two longtime Broncos who were the best at their position for several years.

6. Peyton Manning

Would be in the Von/TD tier but the playoff losses while he was still a great player hurt his case.

7. Steve Atwater
8. Tom Nalen

Atwater is under appreciated today, Nalen was under appreciated his entire career. Both incredilble players with longevity at non-sexy positions.

9. Karl Mecklenburg

A Swiss army knife and one of the most underrated linebackers in league history. As a 4x first team All Pro, he should be in Hall of Fame conversations.

10. Gary Zimmerman

I rank him a little lower than others with only 5 years as a Bronco, but he gets on here as the best player and leader on what was the best overall unit on our first Super Bowl champion team. 

The DB's get a bit confusing. East Coast bias was really strong from the 60's through 90's. We had some outstanding ball players in Denver that got virtually no or limited recognition. 

Atwater was the last in a great run of safeties that included Billy Thompson , Dennis Smith and Goose Gonsoulin. At CB you've got Willie Brown who granted was only here for 4 years and my all time favorite CB, Louis Wright. To this day, still the best CB I've seen play the game.

Other standouts would be guys like Lionel Taylor, Rich Jackson, Paul Smith, Riley Odoms, Paul Howard (an Iron Man at RG for almost 15 years,) Billy Bryan, same as Howard but a center.

Thats just a short list. We've had a bunch of great players who received little recognition. 

Anyway, the wider your frame of reference the tougher it is to come up with a "Top 10" so outside of Elway at #1 I think I'll pass.

1 hour ago, AKRNA said:

The DB's get a bit confusing. East Coast bias was really strong from the 60's through 90's. We had some outstanding ball players in Denver that got virtually no or limited recognition. 

Atwater was the last in a great run of safeties that included Billy Thompson , Dennis Smith and Goose Gonsoulin. At CB you've got Willie Brown who granted was only here for 4 years and my all time favorite CB, Louis Wright. To this day, still the best CB I've seen play the game.

Other standouts would be guys like Lionel Taylor, Rich Jackson, Paul Smith, Riley Odoms, Paul Howard (an Iron Man at RG for almost 15 years,) Billy Bryan, same as Howard but a center.

Thats just a short list. We've had a bunch of great players who received little recognition. 

Anyway, the wider your frame of reference the tougher it is to come up with a "Top 10" so outside of Elway at #1 I think I'll pass.

Saw a special on Rich Jackson saying he would be known on par with Deacon Jones if he played at a different time and for a better known team. Absolutely dominated everyone he faced.

1 hour ago, BullsandBroncos said:

Saw a special on Rich Jackson saying he would be known on par with Deacon Jones if he played at a different time and for a better known team. Absolutely dominated everyone he faced.

After the merger he replaced Jones as the best DE in the game. IMO, Jackson was better. Jones had the luxury of playing with one of the best D Lines ever, Jackson did not but still was a wrecking ball. 

Going to watch the Bronco's play the Raiders at Mile High you knew Denver would lose. You also knew Floyd would provide some excitement but the very best part was watching Jackson beat up on Art Shell and Gene Upshaw. It was really a lot of fun!

35 minutes ago, jsthomp2007 said:

Is Simon Fletcher still Denver Broncos' all-time sack leader? He was at some point. At his apex of his career, he was fun to watch.

Kinda hard to imagine he never even made one pro bowl.

• 2 weeks later...

I guess it just kinda depends how you want to slot guys like Manning into the Broncos team history. I would say:

1. John Elway

2. Champ Bailey

3. Peyton Manning

4. Terrell Davis

5. Shannon Sharpe

6. Steve Atwater

7. Randy Gradishar

8. Gary Zimmerman

9. Floyd Little

10. Rod Smith

I'll go with my lifetime. 

1. Elway

2. Miller

3. Davis

4. Manning

5. Bailey

6. Sharpe

7. Smith

8. Harris Jr

9. Nalen

10. Thomas

HM: Clady, Al Wilson, Dumervil, Talib, Pryce

It kinda bums me out to put MAGA Manning so high, but the impact he had on the franchise is undeniable. I'll never look at him the same way I look at the other Broncos legends on the list, though. Was never a huge fan before Denver and always sort of resented the "America's team" vibe he brought. I grew up as the flyover Broncos and will always love that. We're back baby! 

1. John Elway- Obvious choice, doesn’t need explanation.

2. Von Miller- The best defender in Broncos history whom without Denver likely doesn’t win the SB (or even make it to the SB for that matter) in 2015. 

3. Terrell Davis- While he had a career that was cut short in Denver, he’s the all time leading rusher, a HOFer, and Denver likely doesn’t win the SB in ‘97 without him.

4. Shannon Sharpe- A HOFer who helped Denver to 2 SBs.  Statiscally Rod Smith and Demaryius Thomas outproduced Sharpe in yards, receptions, and TDS, but Sharpe is one of the greatest TEs to ever play the game.  While his stats are obviously exceptional, what gets lost is he was also one the best blocking TEs to suit up in the NFL.

5. Peyton Manning- Like Davis, had a shorter career in Denver than others on the list.  Even so, in his 4 years he helped Denver to 2 SBs and won 1.  In 3 of his 4 years he was arguably the best QB in football as well.

6. Champ Bailey-  If he’d have spent his entire career in Denver he’d be 3rd on this list.  He shutdown half the field during his time in Denver and was the premier CB in football.

7. Karl Mecklenberg- Arguably the most underrated Bronco in history.  All he did over his 12 years in Denver was average 92 tackles a season and 6.5 sacks.  He’s 2nd all time in tackles and 3rd in sacks in Broncos history. He didn’t start until his 3rd season, but in his prime was arguably the most complete LB in football.

8. Rod Smith- He holds every receiving record in Broncos history, though Thomas if healthy likely passes him in some of those categories.  He was a Bronco his entire career and still is a frequenter of Dove Valley.  Maybe more so than anyone on this list, Rod Smith is the type of player and person you’d want to represent an organization.

9. Dennis Smith- Another Bronco lifer.  Smith is the leading tackler in Bronco history and was no slouch vs the pass finishing 7th in team history with 30 INTs. Further he leads all DBs in sacks with 15.

10(a). Demaryius Thomas- He’ll at worst be the 2nd best statistical WR in Broncos history while also being the most physically gifted.

10(b). Simon Fletcher- Fletcher is currently 1st in franchise history with 97 sacks.  He’ll be passed by Von Miller, but during his time was one of the better pass rushers in football.

Archived