Match The 2019 Quarterback Class To NFL Teams

AlNFL19

Pretty straightforward, I think. What teams do you see as the best fits for some of the top quarterbacks in the probable 2019 NFL draft class?

For example, Oregon QB Justin Herbert might be a decent fit with the Miami Dolphins. Herbert is an athletically gifted quarterback who has some developing to do but has great arm talent and doesn't have too many struggles with accuracy. Herbert could become a better option as a quarterback who is similar to starter Ryan Tannehill, but who offers a more dynamic running threat for an offense that lacks much firepower. Herbert could take a similar path to Tannehill and end up as a better option were he to land in Miami.

I'd be OK with a QB Day 2 for Miami, regardless of how Tannehill plays. He could easily have another 4,000 yd-24 TD season. There's too many tempting DL prospects in Round One. I'd trade away a 3rd round pick and a future 2nd, just to move up from Round 2 into the back of Round One again for another stout DL prospect. 

3 hours ago, freak_of_nature said:

I'd be OK with a QB Day 2 for Miami, regardless of how Tannehill plays. He could easily have another 4,000 yd-24 TD season. There's too many tempting DL prospects in Round One. I'd trade away a 3rd round pick and a future 2nd, just to move up from Round 2 into the back of Round One again for another stout DL prospect. 

Agreed but I'd probably trade back into the 1st. Rashan Gary and someone like Will Grier, age concern, transforms the team IF Tannehill doesn't deliver.

17 minutes ago, Ajayii said:

Agreed but I'd probably trade back into the 1st. Rashan Gary and someone like Will Grier, age concern, transforms the team IF Tannehill doesn't deliver.

The assumption here is that Miami is going to have a high draft pick, but I don't buy that yet.

3 hours ago, freak_of_nature said:

The assumption here is that Miami is going to have a high draft pick, but I don't buy that yet.

Oh I know which is why I added that at the end.

I'm not buying it either but you know we can't be realistic on here.

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/30/2018 at 2:50 AM, SteelKing728 said:

I don't think this will be a very good class. 

This is going to be an awful class.  You've really got 3 QBs right now who you could argue that are/will have 1st round grades.  Herbert and Lock have the arm, but come out of questionable offensive systems.  Herbert has ball security concerns and Lock's footwork is atrocious.  Stidham comes out of an offensive system that inflates his numbers, and his physical tools aren't as good.

On 8/18/2018 at 12:40 PM, CWood21 said:

This is going to be an awful class.  You've really got 3 QBs right now who you could argue that are/will have 1st round grades.  Herbert and Lock have the arm, but come out of questionable offensive systems.  Herbert has ball security concerns and Lock's footwork is atrocious.  Stidham comes out of an offensive system that inflates his numbers, and his physical tools aren't as good.

I'm just glad the Broncos passed on Josh Rosen. He's going to be a real player in this league.

On 8/21/2018 at 5:55 PM, MrOaktown_56 said:

I'm just glad the Broncos passed on Josh Rosen. He's going to be a real player in this league.

Your joy is my sadness.  At least we didn't completely waste it by going Chubb...but yeah, if it's a Von/Donald level generational position player at another premium position, that's justifiable.  Chubb's more of a poor man's Clowney, do-it-all-but-not-elite-on-his-own pass rusher.   If you have a Clowney or a franchise QB, you take the franchise QB. 

Back to the thread - I don't see us spending a Day 1 pick on QB, because as mentioned, it's a pretty meh class - and so reaching for one, isn't going to be that palatable.   Given how badly Lynch has worked out, the spectre of failing again with a reach no doubt haunts Elway.   I suspect going Keenum for a 2-year deal (although trading him away makes a walkaway feasible after 1 year - but not a straight release, 10M dead money next year, too much with our cap situation, while a trade only 3M dead money) was exactly for the situation where if we didn't land QB this year or if Kelly doesn't show enough to keep grooming him (in theory, that was probably Lynch/Kelly in his mind....lool smh), we stick it out until 2020's draft for QBOTF.  Keenum really just looks to be a stopgap (I've said as much from the moment we signed him), but I'd much rather not reach for this class - it's nothing like 2018's class.  Rosen was worth a top 5 pick, hands down.  This class?  I'm hard pressed to say any 1 guy deserves a top 10 pick over the elite positional talent we're seeing (and don't get me started on Ed Oliver / Bosa being passed over for QB - that would be insanity vs. the QB's we're seeing so far).

If we have doubts on Keenum or Kelly for 2019/2020+, then I think we'd dip in Day 2 at earliest with a guy whose stock probably is way down.  Thorson not being back until Oct/Nov seems like such a target.    But I suspect we're going to stick it out with Keenum/Kelly heading into 2019 barring epic disaster play.

Archived