Jump to content
Raves

Julio Jones to skip start of Training Camp

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, CKSteeler said:

NFL players take significantly more risks with their bodies.

Yeah. A 3 year fully guaranteed deal seems more realistic. Idk how eligibility for the franchise tag works, but that could potentially screw them if they try to cash in

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Julio will catch some flak now, but this will ultimately make him richer in the long run. Don’t blame him for wanting the money while the market is hot/he’s still relatively youthful, and I don’t blame others for calling him selfish or wanting him to report. Nature of the business.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is sort of the fallout of front loading a contact. The player loves it because he gets uber paid early but that comes at a price in the later years. You cant just cry foul when you got yours early on

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/27/2018 at 9:44 PM, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

In the end he got more money and some weird sounding contract negotiation


I sorta like the way they did it though He isn't getting any extra money at all so he didn't really get a raise.  They just took 4 mil from his base salary next year and turned it into a signing bonus.  So that 4 mil he gets now in cash and we spread that 4 mil across the next 3 years of his contract.  So he is still getting the same amount of money in general as his contract already said if he would have played all the games.  It doesn't affect our cap hit this year anymore since it's a signing bonus and it actually lowers the cap hits of his base salary's a few mil the next 2 or so years.   Although im quite sure they will do a new deal next offseason more than likely.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, FalconFan13 said:


I sorta like the way they did it though He isn't getting any extra money at all so he didn't really get a raise.  They just took 4 mil from his base salary next year and turned it into a signing bonus.  So that 4 mil he gets now in cash and we spread that 4 mil across the next 3 years of his contract.  So he is still getting the same amount of money in general as his contract already said if he would have played all the games.  It doesn't affect our cap hit this year anymore since it's a signing bonus and it actually lowers the cap hits of his base salary's a few mil the next 2 or so years.   Although im quite sure they will do a new deal next offseason more than likely.

It makes him happy now just like a front loaded deal would but again they have to address it again or he won't be reporting to camp

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, FalconFan13 said:


I sorta like the way they did it though He isn't getting any extra money at all so he didn't really get a raise.  They just took 4 mil from his base salary next year and turned it into a signing bonus.  So that 4 mil he gets now in cash and we spread that 4 mil across the next 3 years of his contract.  So he is still getting the same amount of money in general as his contract already said if he would have played all the games.  It doesn't affect our cap hit this year anymore since it's a signing bonus and it actually lowers the cap hits of his base salary's a few mil the next 2 or so years.   Although im quite sure they will do a new deal next offseason more than likely.

That seems like a ludicrous thing to hold out over. 

 

Must have had some kind of debt

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, ILoveTheVikings said:

That seems like a ludicrous thing to hold out over. 

 

Must have had some kind of debt

what a stupid comment. 

4 mil doesnt seem ludicrous to hold out over to me, but i guess im weird like that. he was assured theyd look at his deal next year, and hes not the type of player you can break promises to.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, GSUeagles14 said:

what a stupid comment. 

4 mil doesnt seem ludicrous to hold out over to me, but i guess im weird like that. he was assured theyd look at his deal next year, and hes not the type of player you can break promises to.

 

If you give up 4 million next year for 4 million this year, then you haven't gained anything.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, ILoveTheVikings said:

If you give up 4 million next year for 4 million this year, then you haven't gained anything.

ignoring anything else, you actually have as money is worth my today. secondly, he was told they woild look at the contract next year. as i already said  you cant break promises to elite nfl players.

 

please dont double down on awful comments.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, ILoveTheVikings said:

If you give up 4 million next year for 4 million this year, then you haven't gained anything.

Considering from the sound of it his contract had no more guaranteed money, this means that if for some reason he got injured or cut, not likely but we've seen crazier things, then he would be guaranteed the 4 million from next year that he wouldn't have gotten otherwise.  So he really has gained something and that's additional security.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/24/2018 at 9:45 AM, cddolphin said:

I just saw at overthecap.com that Jarvis Landry currently has a higher annual average than Julio... talk about market inefficiencies!

Jarvis was massively overpaid, tho.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, TheKillerNacho said:

Jarvis was massively overpaid, tho.

When you're Cleveland, you have to do what you have to! At least until the culture change (is coming IMO) of actually becoming a Winning Franchise!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Nabbs4u said:

When you're Cleveland, you have to do what you have to! At least until the culture change (is coming IMO) of actually becoming a Winning Franchise!

That's the thing tho - if you're constantly overpaying guys the culture isn't going to change because your roster isn't going to actually get better as the rest of the league is paying less for more. Gotta build through the draft... I know the Browns have tried (and failed) to do this, but it's the only way. There's a long history of teams breaking the bank in free agency only to go on to having a losing record, and those contracts crippling them for years.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, TheKillerNacho said:

That's the thing tho - if you're constantly overpaying guys the culture isn't going to change because your roster isn't going to actually get better as the rest of the league is paying less for more. Gotta build through the draft... I know the Browns have tried (and failed) to do this, but it's the only way. There's a long history of teams breaking the bank in free agency only to go on to having a losing record, and those contracts crippling them for years.

While true they can afford to pay players like Landry and others (deserving market value) because they're not wasting $100M on the QB position. It's why the Mayfield pick has to work out.

You build around Rookie contracts. If the Mayfield's, Garrett's, Wards, Peppers work out those are the building blocks you have on the cheap. By the time they get paid players getting top $ now, get cut, restructured, move on.

Although it looks right now that Jarvis is overpaid, the ever growing cap will make that contract look minimal in 3 years when WR's are making 20+. Unfortunately it's coming. I'm good with them overpaying to "acquire" talent. Otherwise no one would sign in Cleveland.

Browns future is trending Up! Assuming 1/2 or god forbid all 4 listed above aren't busts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×