Julio Jones to skip start of Training Camp

Raves

I think it's a fair move by both sides.  Julio saw what happened to Dez and doesn't want that to happen to him, not to mention guys like Cooks and Landry are now making much more than him.  I think a smart move would be for Atlanta to rework his deal this year, as a show of good faith and their belief in Julio, but put wording into the contract that another future holdout would be extremely costly and something he wouldn't consider.

43 minutes ago, cddolphin said:

I just saw at overthecap.com that Jarvis Landry currently has a higher annual average than Julio... talk about market inefficiencies!

It's called a bubble. It's been blowing up recently for QBs and WRs

3 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

And the front office shouldn't have a problem with him not attending because they gave him the option to not attend and paid fines. So this statement:

is wrong

They don’t have a problem. Have you heard the FO taking issue with him holding out? Julio is the disgruntled one here and that is all on him for signing the contract they offered him.

1 hour ago, cddolphin said:

I just saw at overthecap.com that Jarvis Landry currently has a higher annual average than Julio... talk about market inefficiencies!

It's also the Cleveland Browns. They have to pay 1.5-2x more to retain players long term.

12 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

"Hopeful he reports to training camp" is just the corporate, bland PR way of saying "are going to be unhappy if he doesn't report to training camp".

Lol that’s a pretty far conclusion to jump to. I don’t see it that way at all. I think they only start to have a problem with it if he starts missing games because that’s when it starts to hurt the team.

12 minutes ago, Danger said:

So, how does this compare to the TO situation 13 years ago?

Imagine the beating TO would take on this forum if this was him today. lol

Jones has a right to do the holdout in hopes of a new deal (I have no doubt he will pay whatever the fines are), the Falcons hold all the leverage though. This is the same thing the Bears had with Briggs years ago. "I'll never play another down for Chicago again" then signs a sizeable deal to play for the Bears.  In his shoes I get that he wants guaranteed money and the market for WRs is going up. But I'd want both Cooks (who was extended), Diggs and OBJ to get their deals first. Then you can really push you market value with something to back it.

3 minutes ago, dtait93 said:

Lol that’s a pretty far conclusion to jump to. I don’t see it that way at all. I think they only start to have a problem with it if he starts missing games because that’s when it starts to hurt the team.

"That glass looks half full to me"

"I dunno, it looks half empty to me"

"Whoa hey now that's a pretty crazy conclusion to jump to"

Archived