Training Camp Thread

49erurtaza

2 hours ago, 49erurtaza said:

Training camp opens here on Thursday, here is our discussion thread on everything that is reported.

The person I'm excited to see most is Sherman. 

Sherman is definitely one of the top guys in camp I'll have my eye on. McGlinchey, Pettis, and Warner are the rookies I'll have a close eye on. Also very intrigued to see how James and Smith are coming off of their injuries. 

But most importantly- Jimmy GQ. Time to see him lead the team through camp. Could not be more excited!

28 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

So PFF ranked the secondaries heading into camp, and we were 11th on the list. Granted, some of it is projected on Sherman returning to last year's form, but going to be good to finally have a competent unit. 

It's so hard to judge, because it is 100% on potential. Sherman is the only projected starter to start a full season in the NFL, and he is coming back from a serious injury. Tartt, Colbert, and Witherspoon each have the potential to become all-pro players based on their 2017 play, but they could all level off. I think I could buy into any non-top 5 or non-bottom 5 ranking right now. 

Definitely, though I'd be very surprised if Witherspoon doesn't end up being the real deal. From the way he played last season to supposedly how Garoppolo has been avoiding him all offseason to how much Sherman respects him, there is too much out there for him to fail....Or you would think lol. 

Sherman is a complete wildcard. 

Colbert I need to see more from. Definitely has a lot of range but could get out of control at times.

Tart is a flat out stud. Sure tackler in the box and the way he was able to cover last season was promising. But the big thing with him is injuries. Can he stay healthy?

Then Williams or Ward or Reed should be able to hold it down in the slot.

If Sherman/Witherspoon do get hurt, then it could be a major problem. I'm guessing they would go with Ward as the first man up, but he's not great on the outside. And everyone else is so unproven. 

MUCH better CB situation this year going into camp compared to last year though. 

Honestly, I'm most excited about Moore. I don't know how much he'll actually contribute this year with the position change but athletically he's a stud so his potential is through the roof. With him and Spoon, we could have to studs manning the outside for the next 5 to 8 years. But at this point, it's all potential.

I think Moore is a 2019 type of pick. I mean who knows, Culliver was able to pick up the position relatively quick, so maybe he could even contribute next season. But I'm not counting for it. 

The turnover on this team has been insane since Shanny/Lynch took over. Reminiscent of the Seahawks once Carroll got there.

All the rookies, of course. They all have potential. If we hit on all or most of them that will be a big boost to the talent level of the team. OUtside of that McK for me. For whatever reasons he has not been productive so far in his career. We need for him to be everything we're hoping for if our offense if going to be as good as we all hope. Otherwise we're relying on Breida and Williams. I guess wse've got McNicolls - who could suddenly blossom, and Mostert. But I suspect both of them will have a hard time even making the final 53.

3 hours ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

But the big thing with him is injuries. Can he stay healthy?

I don't get this, but it seems to be a thing people say about Tartt like it's a recurring thing with him. Before 2017, he had missed only two games and one was the last game of 2015 when he was shut down for the year with a minor injury that he could have played through had the team needed him. And a broken forearm is a freak injury that is highly unlikely to recur. He had no injury history in college either. 

I feel like he's just being accidentally grouped with the plethora of individuals Baalke drafted that had major injury concerns in the draft AND their NFL careers.

37 minutes ago, y2lamanaki said:

I don't get this, but it seems to be a thing people say about Tartt like it's a recurring thing with him. Before 2017, he had missed only two games and one was the last game of 2015 when he was shut down for the year with a minor injury that he could have played through had the team needed him. And a broken forearm is a freak injury that is highly unlikely to recur. He had no injury history in college either. 

I feel like he's just being accidentally grouped with the plethora of individuals Baalke drafted that had major injury concerns in the draft AND their NFL careers.

Possibly, but he was banged up in camp last year to no? And last year was the first time he got the type of playing time he did. But fair to say he was healthy in his first two years. 

My eyes will be on the D-Line, particularly Thomas and Armstead. Both are former top 20 picks that have to deliver along the interior for this defense to maximize it's pontential. Thomas in particular, HAS to be better at finding the QB. As a #3 overall pick, expectations are as such. Really needs to step it up this year in the nickel, playing next to DeFo. AA just has to stay healthy for once. I though he looked really good last year until his injury. He's playing the more natural 'big end' this year as opposed to last year so I'm expecting big things from him. 

I'm honestly not worried too much about any other position. I have a quiet confidence with our personnel everywhere else. Just want to see Thomas take that next step and Armstead put in a healthy and productive 16 game season. I think everything else will fall into place if those two in particular, play to their potential. 

What are the chances that we have Weston richburg be our long snapper? I know long snappers are important, but I would love to open up another roster spot and keep an extra corner, rb, or OLman

1 hour ago, N4L said:

What are the chances that we have Weston richburg be our long snapper? I know long snappers are important, but I would love to open up another roster spot and keep an extra corner, rb, or OLman

Almost none, I would imagine. I'd rather have a trusted long snapper than an inactive 7th corner / 5th rb / 9th oline,  anyway. There's really no need for that

11 hours ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Possibly, but he was banged up in camp last year to no? And last year was the first time he got the type of playing time he did. But fair to say he was healthy in his first two years. 

I did forget the bruised ribs in camp, but I know last year's playing time was not unique for him. He started 8 games last year (due to injury) , started 8 in his rookie season (due to injury), and started 6 in 2016 (due to injury). In his first two years, he was still active every game as well. This is the first time his playing time is expected to be different. 

Archived