Training Camp Thread

49erurtaza

4 minutes ago, Forge said:

I have no issues giving credit to the offense. I was speaking more from a standpoint of you don't want to be the guy in coverage getting roasted by a receiver who is unlikely to make the roster, particularly if you are a roster bubble player yourself. 

I was talking in general with these practice reports not just this play. It happens every day. I remember yesterday Goodwin got a TD, and someone (probably Cohn), said bad play by Witherspoon LOL. 

The way I look at it is, our offense is going to be one of the best in the league. No shame in them making plays against our defense, and better for the team when defense is making it hard on Garoppolo as they were before the last few days. 

1 minute ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

I was talking in general with these practice reports not just this play. It happens every day. I remember yesterday Goodwin got a TD, and someone (probably Cohn), said bad play by Witherspoon LOL. 

The way I look at it is, our offense is going to be one of the best in the league. No shame in them making plays against our defense, and better for the team when defense is making it hard on Garoppolo as they were before the last few days. 

Ahh. 

Yes, I think the offense will be an efficiency machine this year. I don't know top 5-7 or so, but I think 7-12 for sure (also depends on what metric we are using to measure - LIS, I think we will be an efficiency beast). I have a lot of faith in the offense. I think it's going to be damn good, particularly under the Shanny scheme with a competent quarterback. 

10 minutes ago, Forge said:

Ahh. 

Yes, I think the offense will be an efficiency machine this year. I don't know top 5-7 or so, but I think 7-12 for sure (also depends on what metric we are using to measure - LIS, I think we will be an efficiency beast). I have a lot of faith in the offense. I think it's going to be damn good, particularly under the Shanny scheme with a legendary quarterback. 

FIFY!

21 minutes ago, Forge said:

Ahh. 

Yes, I think the offense will be an efficiency machine this year. I don't know top 5-7 or so, but I think 7-12 for sure (also depends on what metric we are using to measure - LIS, I think we will be an efficiency beast). I have a lot of faith in the offense. I think it's going to be damn good, particularly under the Shanny scheme with a competent quarterback. 

You like the DVOA numbers and last year the offense ranked very high after Jimmy G took over. I'd be a bit more confident if our OL was better, but can't do nothing about that unit now. It is what it is. 

Just now, J-ALL-DAY said:

You like the DVOA numbers and last year the offense ranked very high after Jimmy G took over. I'd be a bit more confident if our OL was better, but can't do nothing about that unit now. It is what it is. 

Yeah, I'm bullish on the DVOA...maybe not so much on a bulk numbers for us with regards to offensive rankings. I think we will be top 8 in dvoa at worst. 

29 minutes ago, Forge said:

Yeah, I'm bullish on the DVOA...maybe not so much on a bulk numbers for us with regards to offensive rankings. I think we will be top 8 in dvoa at worst. 

So basically a top 5-7 offense like I said ?.

18 hours ago, Forge said:

The only thing I would say, while it really was exceptional coverage, he can't let his hands get extended like that, particularly in the waist area. Feel  like in this crazily officiated league, that's going to be some sort of phantom PI / holding like 80% of the time. 

Don't worry about that. We are now the team fielding Richard Sherman. Sure, we'll get a couple of holding/PI calls in the first quarter, but by the time the game is on the line, we'll be allowed to grab away freely. The Richard Sherman effect!

1 hour ago, Forge said:

Ahh. 

Honestly, I think we're a lock for top 5-7. If you look at what Jimmy G and offense did in his five starts last year, I think we were a top 3 unit in those starts I believe. With a firmer grasp of the playbook and seemingly more weapons at his disposal, I think bottom ten is our floor. Even with defenses having more tape on him, I still think he's just too good on 3rd downs for this offense to fail. And while the O-Line might not be a particularly strong unit as a whole, JG had Zane freakin Beadles as his RT for a majority if his starts and still got it done. 

1 minute ago, 757-NINER said:

Honestly, I think we're a lock for top 5-7. If you look at what Jimmy G and offense did in his five starts last year, I think we were a top 3 unit in those starts I believe. With a firmer grasp of the playbook and seemingly more weapons at his disposal, I think bottom ten is our floor. Even with defenses having more tape on him, I still think he's just too good on 3rd downs for this offense to fail. Even with the O-Line not being a particularly strong unit as a whole, JG had Zane freakin Beadles as his RT for a majority if his starts and still got it done. 

Just depends on the metric. I don't think that the bulk stats will be the most impressive - I don't think we'll be in the top 7 for yards or total points, but I like us as a top 8 offensive in efficiency and dvoa. points per drive. I'm expecting some monster TOP games from us. 

Well, lets break down the bulk stats from when Jimmy G took over:

YPG: 410

PPG: 29 

Passing YPG: 297

How would that rank if we sample it out to a 16 game season:

YPG: 1st

PPG: 2nd

PYPG: 1st

So I think we will be fine with the bulk stats. I rather be efficient than just compile all these stats. The stat I did not bring up is a Jimmy G led team scored on over 50% of their drives. That would also rank 1st in the league. 

41 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

So he missed essentially the extra point? SMH, this bum is going to cost us a few games next season. 

The good news is that based on history, Gould only screws our draft position. Screwing us out of wins seems the opposite of what he does. 

14 hours ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Those were two tough playoff built WRs though. Both had very good moments during the 2012 and 2013 runs. Of course you would like someone with more speed complimenting them, but that's why the 2012 receiving core worked so well. You had Ginn/Moss/Davis/Walker with speed to go along with Crabtree. Even though Ginn and Moss weren't getting all that many looks, they would still draw attention every time they went deep. 

Ehhh, we were just good enough to get by. Been a long time since we had a young well rounded receiver in their prime. 

Archived