Training Camp Thread

49erurtaza

Just now, PapaShogun said:

I mean, I guess. It's kind of cherry picking though to make Alex look better than reality suggests. If we're whittling down the quality of a QB to just W/L record, coaching staffs shouldn't matter.

But it's also fair to say that starting in 2011, Alex was largely a different quarterback (I'd actually say he looked much improved in the brief stint in 2010 when he came in...I never loved the "Harbaugh made Smith" narrative. I remember watching 2010 games under Singletary and being very impressed with Smith in his action) than he had been previously. Alex Smith of the last 5/6 years isn't hte same as Smith Circa 2006 - 2010. 

1 minute ago, Forge said:

But it's also fair to say that starting in 2011, Alex was largely a different quarterback (I'd actually say he looked much improved in the brief stint in 2010 when he came in...I never loved the "Harbaugh made Smith" narrative. I remember watching 2010 games under Singletary and being very impressed with Smith in his action) than he had been previously. Alex Smith of the last 5/6 years isn't hte same as Smith Circa 2006 - 2010. 

I know. He's clearly improved. Just saying utilizing W/L record isn't a great approach for analysis. Regardless where the time frame is cherry picked to help push a point.

1 hour ago, PapaShogun said:

I know. He's clearly improved. Just saying utilizing W/L record isn't a great approach for analysis. Regardless where the time frame is cherry picked to help push a point.

Winning is all that matters. 

I didn't pick 2011... whoever posted that tweet did.. and Forge explained enough of the rest. 

W/L again.. is all that matters.. and when a QB puts up the % like that over a consecutive number of recent seasons? It's more than some wild coincidence. 

Move on from the past now, and talk about the greatness to come of Jimmy G, please? 

1 hour ago, Forge said:

This is absolutely the case. I don't think Jim had much to do with it. Smith lost the better part of two seasons and couldn't even practice throwing since his throwing shoulder was the problem. It took him part of a third year to get fully healed and back into playing shape.  But I've pointed out before that aside from the injury he was on a steady improvement curve almost since he entered the league.  By 2010 with his arm fully healed he bagan to play much bettter. I think that would have happened even without Jim.

6 hours ago, oldman9er said:

Winning is all that matters. 

I didn't pick 2011... whoever posted that tweet did.. and Forge explained enough of the rest. 

W/L again.. is all that matters.. and when a QB puts up the % like that over a consecutive number of recent seasons? It's more than some wild coincidence. 

Move on from the past now, and talk about the greatness to come of Jimmy G, please? 

Right, like Tim Tebow that year lol. Strange then, that Alex is the only one on that list that's effectively been replaced and traded multiple times. His wins should have protected his job.

This is why you examine the quality of winning, not just the result of it. Kind of like if I looked at the list you posted, and pointed out that Alex is the only one that doesn't have a ring, so he sucks...because only rings matter.

Jimmy G I hope walks a winning path with more substance to the actual wins.

14 hours ago, oldman9er said:

Your hate and continued need for this ancient, recycled argument says enough.

Not doing this anymore here. 

200w.webp

Has nothing to do with hating anything. Just pointing out why I think the analysis you provided is a little short sighted to me.

BTW, you responded to me first.

13 hours ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Seriously, why was this even brought up? So random.

A lot of random things are brought up on this forum. I'm surprised you're surprised. It's the internet. 

What I posted had to do with where the franchise was not too long ago with their QB situation, and how the fanbase reacted. Now everyone is acting the opposite having essentially crowned Jimmy G already, with some comparisons to our lord and savior Joe Montana after 5 starts. Quite the dichotomy. 

22 hours ago, PapaShogun said:

I mean, I guess. It's kind of cherry picking though to make Alex look better than reality suggests. If we're whittling down the quality of a QB to just W/L record, coaching staffs shouldn't matter.

Picking one season would be cherry picking. But picking a 7 year stretch isn't really cherry picking. Matt Cassel is a good QB, he won 10 games in 2008! Now that's cherry picking. But being the second winningest QB over a 7 year stretch isn't just a fluke. So it's a valid argument, in my opinion.

But I don't know why this was brought up. So... who cares...

Archived