Training Camp Thread

49erurtaza

The top four spots appear set with Pierre Garçon, Marquise Goodwin, Trent Taylor and rookie Dante Pettis set to make the team.

So, if we only keep 5 WRs, who do u want? Bourne or James? ( I want Bourne on the team more )

https://ninerswire.usatoday.com/2018/08/14/stock-report-which-49ers-position-groups-are-rising-and-falling-utm_sourcenotifutm_campaignninerswire/

8 hours ago, oldman9er said:

So, if we only keep 5 WRs, who do u want? Bourne or James? ( I want Bourne on the team more )

https://ninerswire.usatoday.com/2018/08/14/stock-report-which-49ers-position-groups-are-rising-and-falling-utm_sourcenotifutm_campaignninerswire/

I would be incredibly disappointed to only keep 5 receivers. Bourne probably makes more sense since we have multiple guys that can operate out of the slot. But that is a scenario I don't foresee.

1 hour ago, y2lamanaki said:

I would be incredibly disappointed to only keep 5 receivers. Bourne probably makes more sense since we have multiple guys that can operate out of the slot. But that is a scenario I don't foresee.

I actually have us keeping 7 technically, though I feel Burbridge is ST first, WR second. I have both Burbridge and Morstert making the 53. 

1 hour ago, 757-NINER said:

I actually have us keeping 7 technically, though I feel Burbridge is ST first, WR second. I have both Burbridge and Morstert making the 53. 

I don't think that happens. I've always thought of those two as competing directly with each other for one spot unless one wins a job at his main position. 7 receivers is just too many, unless the team goes with just Celek and Kittle at TE with Juszczyk as the emergency third. But 4 RBs, 7 WRs, 3 TEs is just too much. 

1 minute ago, y2lamanaki said:

I don't think that happens. I've always thought of those two as competing directly with each other for one spot unless one wins a job at his main position. 7 receivers is just too many, unless the team goes with just Celek and Kittle at TE with Juszczyk as the emergency third. But 4 RBs, 7 WRs, 3 TEs is just too much. 

I just think it's a matter of how much do you value STs. If you deem it a very important part if the game, then you have to keep both Burbridge and Morstert. They are our the two best STs players. I don't see us parting with one over the other but if we do, I won't be mad. I don't see them cutting either Richie James or Joe Williams. I think both have too much potential to expose to the waiver wire so I have them safe...for now. 

29 minutes ago, 757-NINER said:

I just think it's a matter of how much do you value STs. If you deem it a very important part if the game, then you have to keep both Burbridge and Morstert. They are our the two best STs players. I don't see us parting with one over the other but if we do, I won't be mad. I don't see them cutting either Richie James or Joe Williams. I think both have too much potential to expose to the waiver wire so I have them safe...for now. 

I agree with James, but not Williams. I don't think he'd get claimed at this point. Especially after "quitting" his senior year and not playing with urgency last training camp, and doing nothing spectacular in the first preseason game this year. There's time for this to change, of course. 

And I do value Special Teams, but I recognize we had a top unit last year with only Mostert and not Burbridge. I think Burbridge only wins if he beats out James as the #6 WR. I could still very easily see James wind up on IR for the year with a minor injury, particularly if Pettis plays well in his slot snaps. 

14 hours ago, oldman9er said:

For this year I think Robinson is the odd man out and James and Bourne make the team. For a long term future with the team I think the real competition might not be Bourne vs James, but Taylor vs James. For this year the question for me is Burbridge vs Mostert. If that is one of the final decision sthey have to make I think probably Mostert wins out. They need a third RB more than a 7th WR. Even if he was a 4th RRB he'd still be valuable becuase he can return kickoffs too in case one of their returners gets hurt, he's incredibly fast down the field as a gunner, and even a 4th RB might get some carries if the guys ahead of him get hurt,

2 hours ago, 757-NINER said:

In prior regimes we kept guys that were clearly "just" special team guys. You knew that nothing short of desperation would get them into a regular offensive or defensive play. I think both Mostert and Burbridge are good special team players who could be adequare having to fill in at RB or WR. TThat's a nice luxury to have. But you're right - there's still a question of whether we would keep guys with the expectation that, barring a lot of injuries, would only play on STs.

Archived