Training Camp Thread

49erurtaza

Just now, J-ALL-DAY said:

Not surprising. Breida may be out even in week 1, or at the very earliest return week 1 against the Vikings.

McNichols/Williams/Morris have their shot to shine tomorrow.

Definitely. I'll be curious who is given the shot with the first team. Williams would make the most sense, but Mostert has to be a possibility given his performance compared to Williams, and McNichols spent time with the ones this week. If whomever starts performs really well against the Texans starting defense, could go a long way for them for sure. 

10 hours ago, N4L said:

Go watch the sports science episode with Drew Brees. They say the most accurate flight of a football actually has a little wobble to it. 

That did look a tad bit wobbly, but a 'perfect' spiral doesn't necessarily mean it's a 'perfect' pass. It dropped right into the bread basket in a place only the wr had a chance to touch it, I'll take that everyday and twice on Sunday. 

Yeah. I couldn't care less if it wobbles as long as it gets there. Last year though it didn't get there all that often. So I was thinking the wobble might have something to do with that. Maybe it's just more a matter of him figuring out the speed of his WRs so he can put it right where they're going to be when the ball arrives. Wasn't there some discussion here a few months ago about someone doing an analysis of how he throws long and some kind of problem with his release or his footwork?

3 hours ago, rudyZ said:

Technically, wouldn't a perfect spiral "curve" a little? The wobble probably prevents any low pressure zone to form on either side of the ball, making it go straighter.

I've got to try to find that show and see what the "science" behind a good throw is.

1 minute ago, big9erfan said:

Yeah. I couldn't care less if it wobbles as long as it gets there. Last year though it didn't get there all that often. So I was thinking the wobble might have something to do with that. Maybe it's just more a matter of him figuring out the speed of his WRs so he can put it right where they're going to be when the ball arrives. Wasn't there some discussion here a few months ago about someone doing an analysis of how he throws long and some kind of problem with his release or his footwork?

Yes, his footwork. Throws off his back foot far too often and other times his feet aren't set. Correctable flaws but not sure if his long ball will be there all the way this year. Baby steps.

1 hour ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Not surprising. Breida may be out even in week 1, or at the very earliest return week 1 against the Vikings.

McNichols/Williams/Morris have their shot to shine tomorrow.

This is a good thing. We need to decide who our third and possibly 4th  back will be.  I still think Mostert is in the running too.

10 hours ago, N4L said:

Go watch the sports science episode with Drew Brees. They say the most accurate flight of a football actually has a little wobble to it. 

That did look a tad bit wobbly, but a 'perfect' spiral doesn't necessarily mean it's a 'perfect' pass. It dropped right into the bread basket in a place only the wr had a chance to touch it, I'll take that everyday and twice on Sunday. 

Not me. I'll forfeit most days and just use them all on Sunday. Maybe occasionally switch them to Monday or Thursday depending on my mood. And depending on my mood, a Saturday is possible in mid-January. 

3 minutes ago, y2lamanaki said:

Not me. I'll forfeit most days and just use them all on Sunday. Maybe occasionally switch them to Monday or Thursday depending on my mood. And depending on my mood, a Saturday is possible in mid-January. 

I see you commenting and posting the last few days, BUT YOU STILL HAVEN'T GIVEN US THE ANSWER TO IF THERE ARE MORE OR LESS INJURIES IN THE NFL SINCE THE NEW CBA WHICH LIGHTENED UP THE PRACTICE SCHEDULE.

:D

11 minutes ago, y2lamanaki said:

The answer appears to be no: 

http://bfy.tw/JSks

:D

That was awesome, how did you do that? Lol....But did the change in the CBA lead to more injuries in the preseason????? 

So random, but a lot of fans have been wanting Taylor to start over Armstead and even cut Armstead. I don't get the last part at all. I think it is clear by now that Armstead is never going to be more than solid in this system, but why would you want a guy like that cut? He is probably above average and if Buckner gets more edge rushes, that will open up more snaps for Armstead to rush from the interior, something he is really good at. Now, the injury issue is a real thing, but ride it out for his last year under contract and don't re-sign him after the season. The option can be rescinded so not overly worried about that. Buckner/Thomas/Day/Armstead/Taylor is a pretty damn good DL with a lot of depth. It just lacks outside rushers, which can't be fixed this offseason at this point........Unless we make a trade for this certain individual across the Bay.

3 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

That was awesome, how did you do that? Lol....But did the change in the CBA lead to more injuries in the preseason????? 

So random, but a lot of fans have been wanting Taylor to start over Armstead and even cut Armstead. I don't get the last part at all. I think it is clear by now that Armstead is never going to be more than solid in this system, but why would you want a guy like that cut? He is probably above average and if Buckner gets more edge rushes, that will open up more snaps for Armstead to rush from the interior, something he is really good at. Now, the injury issue is a real thing, but ride it out for his last year under contract and don't re-sign him after the season. The option can be rescinded so not overly worried about that. Buckner/Thomas/Day/Armstead/Taylor is a pretty damn good DL with a lot of depth. It just lacks outside rushers, which can't be fixed this offseason at this point........Unless we make a trade for this certain individual across the Bay.

Conclusions: We did not observe a sustained increase in conditioning- or non-conditioningdependent injuries following the 2011 CBA. Other concurrent injury-related rule and regulation changes limit specific causal inferences about the practice restrictions, however, and further studies are warranted.

https://arxiv.org/pdf/1805.01271.pdf

That's the best I have for you. They studied the preseason as well. And if you go to https://lmgtfy.com/ you can do that thing above. 

6 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

According to those modern high-tech stats he's been pretty productive when he's played. It would be really good to see what he could do if he played a full season. At this point though I'm wondering if that will ever happen.

41 minutes ago, big9erfan said:

According to those modern high-tech stats he's been pretty productive when he's played. It would be really good to see what he could do if he played a full season. At this point though I'm wondering if that will ever happen.

He was in the 3-4, don't think he was super hyper efficient last year when categorized as a 4-3 end. J may have numbers on that though. Even still, it's a highly limited sample size from last year. 

46 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

It makes no sense to cut Armstead for sure. I'd listen to a trade if one came across, but I'm certainly not cutting him this year. There is no value in it whatsoever. At least he's a body and rotational piece. Now, next year if he passes his physical? Yeah, I'm probably not really going to pick up that option. He's not good enough to pay 9 million or whatever it is (at least not that he's shown at this rate). 

Taylor has been a pleasant surprise, and if Armstead is hurt, I could see him getting solid rotational reps and maybe even start, but he's going to take some time. He could develop into something promising for sure, but i don't know that he's at that point right now. I'd just continue to rotate Armstead / Taylor / Blair as best I can and keep them all fresh. Thomas can be rotated in there too if you want. 

Archived