Training Camp Thread

49erurtaza

48 minutes ago, Forge said:

It makes no sense to cut Armstead for sure. I'd listen to a trade if one came across, but I'm certainly not cutting him this year. There is no value in it whatsoever. At least he's a body and rotational piece. Now, next year if he passes his physical? Yeah, I'm probably not really going to pick up that option. He's not good enough to pay 9 million or whatever it is (at least not that he's shown at this rate). 

Taylor has been a pleasant surprise, and if Armstead is hurt, I could see him getting solid rotational reps and maybe even start, but he's going to take some time. He could develop into something promising for sure, but i don't know that he's at that point right now. I'd just continue to rotate Armstead / Taylor / Blair as best I can and keep them all fresh. Thomas can be rotated in there too if you want. 

Agreed, great to see Taylor playing well but he would be better in year one being a rotational DL. The hate for Armstead is odd. Sure it is frustrating that he keeps getting hurt, but cutting him is the last thing we should do.

52 minutes ago, Forge said:

He was in the 3-4, don't think he was super hyper efficient last year when categorized as a 4-3 end. J may have numbers on that though. Even still, it's a highly limited sample size from last year. 

Pretty sure it wasn't as good as his rookie season, but a big part of that was due to not getting as many interior rushes. That could change if Buckner gets more edge rushes. But forget pass rush, he was really really solid at stopping the run. 

1 hour ago, big9erfan said:

According to those modern high-tech stats he's been pretty productive when he's played. It would be really good to see what he could do if he played a full season. At this point though I'm wondering if that will ever happen.

Sadly this is true. How could one even expect this guy to stay healthy for one season when he doesn't even last half the games before getting hurt? And of course he is hurt already in camp.

3 hours ago, Forge said:

He was in the 3-4, don't think he was super hyper efficient last year when categorized as a 4-3 end. J may have numbers on that though. Even still, it's a highly limited sample size from last year. 

I found this - 

According to Pro Football Focus, he led the league in pass rush productivity among 3-4 defensive tackles.

His sample size was limited. He was credited with 21 hurries and three sacks in just 168 pass rushing snaps. But it was his efficiency that PFF liked. 

1 minute ago, big9erfan said:

I found this - 

According to Pro Football Focus, he led the league in pass rush productivity among 3-4 defensive tackles.

His sample size was limited. He was credited with 21 hurries and three sacks in just 168 pass rushing snaps. But it was his efficiency that PFF liked. 

Yup, he was always good in the 3-4 on an efficiency basis. 

I don't think anyone should question Armstead as far as talent is concerned. He's not in the same boat with a guy like Garnett, who we are all waiting to see if the talent is there. When he's been on the field, sans his rookie year, he's been highly effective. Armstead's biggest problem has been injuries. If he can stay healthy, there's no doubt, he's one of the most talented players on the entire roster. He just has to stay off the trainer's table long enough to showcase said talent.

I don't think there's hate for Armstead. I think there's a realization that he is not likely to be a long-term piece of this team so some fans are more intrigued by players like Taylor who may be that replacement if he continues to develop. 

It's really premature after just 1 preseason game, but I think it's all it is. I want Armstead here unless someone really wants him for a draft pick. Then they're welcome to him.

Archived