Training Camp Thread

49erurtaza

I was watching the 1 on 1s at the start of practice, and Pettis is so unfair in those drills. Like he gets four to five yards of separation on any route he runs. He's so smooth. 

Sherman's first rep was against Goodwin on a go route and he stood no chance. His second rep he did much better against Goodwin and forced an incompletion and same against Robinson I believe. 

Bourne/Pettis are awesome route runners. Can one of them unseat Garcon for the starting spot at some point during the season?

Edit: Saw the rep against Robinson again and he got called for holding.

1 hour ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Bourne/Pettis are awesome route runners. Can one of them unseat Garcon for the starting spot at some point during the season?

Would not be surprised at all if this occurred sooner than ppl think. When we signed Garcon, I always envisioned him sticking around for 2 years at the most, depending on the development of our WRs and how well we drafted@the position. The emergence of young guys like Bourne only speeds up that clock for Garcon's exit. He looked great last year during the season and I still believe he's got at least one more year of high-level play left in him. But I'd rather go with youth if the talent and ability is on par with what Garcon gives us.

Good to hear that Pettis has been turning heads the past two days. He the one draft pick I had serious concerns with so it's great to hear that he's quieting some of the doubters, including myself. If he actually plays well enough to earn a spot in the rotation at WR this year, it will almost guarantee that this will be Garcon's last TC with the team.

Also great to hear that our young WRs are standing out, this early into camp. Most ppl had serious reservations about this young, unharalded receiving corps being able to produce but I always had a quiet confidence in the group. With Bourne, Pettis, Bolden Jr, and James turning heads, our future looks very bright@the position. And we'll be that much more formindable when Taylor returns.

And ppl should NOT read too much into CBs getting beat in 1 on 1 drills. It's designed for the WRs to win so it's not uncommon for even the best CBs to get cooked on a rep or two. It's much more telling if a guy is struggling in 11 on 11, where you have a clear understanding of your responsibility and assignment, pre-snap each for each defensive playcall. 1 on 1's are more just physically reacting in the heat of the moment, while trying to excute proper technique against different routes and concepts.

Cassius Marsh has been getting a lot of praise too. I don't recall our edge rushers getting a lot of that last year. Outside of "Armstead is no longer fat, and thus looks faster".   Hopefully this translates into some growth for Attachou and Marsh. 

57 minutes ago, John232 said:

Cassius Marsh has been getting a lot of praise too. I don't recall our edge rushers getting a lot of that last year. Outside of "Armstead is no longer fat, and thus looks faster".   Hopefully this translates into some growth for Attachou and Marsh. 

Marsh has been getting a lot of praise - but Armstead has been a camp darling the last couple years. He always sounds unblockable in camp until the preseason starts. But I am rooting hard for Marsh as he seemed different with us in a great way. Maybe not a 10-sack guy, but I have hope he can be a steady part of the rush.

Umrelated, Attaochu has been getting a lot of praise, too, this far. Nice to see from those two. Hope it continues!

I don't expect much from March to be honest. I know he played fairly well when he got traded, but he's just going to be decent at best. What I am worried about is McGlinchey blocking Mack/Miller/Hunter/etc if he is getting beat by Marsh. Then again, there were reports Brown would get beat for three or four sacks in a practice.....and then allowed like maybe two sacks all season. Hopefully with the coverage being better in the secondary and underneath with our LBs, it will lead to more sacks/pressures.

I just want Marsh and Atchoo to be clean up guys. They don't have to be superstars, when they have Buck, Solly, AA, Blair, etc., collapsing the pocket, if they can manage to do it consistently. A lot of opportunities will be created for them. And opportunities will also be created with the improved offense sustaining drives and hopefully taking the lead in games. You don't get sacks when you're playing from behind, and playing way too many defensive snaps. If the offense plays as well as we hope, then opponents will have Buck in their faces all day long, and then guys like Marsh can clean up.

1 hour ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

I don't expect much from March to be honest. I know he played fairly well when he got traded, but he's just going to be decent at best. What I am worried about is McGlinchey blocking Mack/Miller/Hunter/etc if he is getting beat by Marsh. Then again, there were reports Brown would get beat for three or four sacks in a practice.....and then allowed like maybe two sacks all season. Hopefully with the coverage being better in the secondary and underneath with our LBs, it will lead to more sacks/pressures.

200w.webp

8. CB D.J. Reed. The backup nickelback. Intercepted a pass intended for Pettis during 11 on 11s. Outjumped and outmuscled him for the ball.

http://49ers.pressdemocrat.com/day-4-the-good-and-not-so-good-from-training-camp/

So "outjumped and outmuscled" Pettis for the ball? Really? That's what he took from this play? Did he not notice Warner right there pretty much boxing Pettis out? So was Pettis supposed to jump over Warner to get to the ball? The great Grant Cohn ladies and gentlemen.......

That ball was clearly underthrown, I wonder who threw it. 

I do think Jimmy will eventually find his deep ball accuracy. Kyle's scheme is designed to have WRs running deep crossing routes after play action and a roll out. I hope it's something they are working on. I won't worry about it until we see it on the field. 

7 hours ago, N4L said:

I do think Jimmy will eventually find his deep ball accuracy. Kyle's scheme is designed to have WRs running deep crossing routes after play action and a roll out. I hope it's something they are working on. I won't worry about it until we see it on the field. 

Beathard is the one who threw it. 

But that's Warner that seems to be running right with Pettis. It will be exciting to see Foster/Warner flying around for years to come. Well, hopefully.......

9 hours ago, N4L said:

There was a good point made that much of his trouble is connecting with Goodwin deep, and that makes a ton of sense. Many consider Goodwin to be the fastest player in the NFL which changes the timing of deep passes especially (meaning Garoppolo needs to get rid of the ball quicker, but to the same location, as other receivers). He also doesn't have great deep pass footwork yet.

Luckily, both of those things are fixable in time.

Archived