Training Camp Thread

49erurtaza

Grant Cohn is that guy in high school who wanted to play sports, but couldn't. So he just hung around the jocks and tried to be the smart guy. The jocks just let him hang around because they kind of pitied him. They wouldn't tell him he was wrong and such. This pity was confused with affirmation by Cohn. He now think's he knows NFL players, locker rooms and scouting because he's spent some time around them.  

Great article on Demeco Ryans (ILB coach) in The Athletic (subscription needed):

https://theathletic.com/451256/2018/07/30/demeco-ryans-has-been-a-gift-for-the-49ers-linebackers-one-in-particular/

“He’s a special one,” (Chip) Kelly, who coached Ryans for three seasons with the Philadelphia Eagles, said in a recent phone interview with The Athletic.

“First and foremost, he gives everything you want: His approach to preparation, how he is in the weight room, how he is in the team room,” Kelly said. “You hear that saying about ‘he’s a coach on the field.’ DeMeco truly was a coach on the field.”

Apparently Chip Kelly once listed Demeco Ryans as the active player in the NFL most likely to become a head coach in a survey. The  article goes on to discuss how he coaches the linebackers and teaches them how to pick up subtle offensive tells. Sounds like an excellent addition to the staff of positional coaches. Will be interesting to see that group play this year. 

I love breida. He really jumped out last preseason and only got better with more touches as the season went on. 

Barrows compared Pettis to Keenan Allen, I think that is a pretty good comp. I was thinking he could be a Larry Fitzgerald type except less physical but Allen is a better comp

1 hour ago, N4L said:

I love breida. He really jumped out last preseason and only got better with more touches as the season went on. 

Barrows compared Pettis to Keenan Allen, I think that is a pretty good comp. I was thinking he could be a Larry Fitzgerald type except less physical but Allen is a better comp

Kennan Allen huh? Interesting, I compared him to Doug Baldwin but basically any comparison with a smooth route runner works.

I don't see Larry Fitzgerald though. Different type of WR there. 

I think I may like the Allen comparison better than Baldwin, but Pettis will be a better down the field WR than Allen. Not as physical and good in the slot though. 

Watching the one on one drills and yeah, Goodwin is just unstoppable running those go routes lol. Not fair. But which corners are going to be right up at the LOS on him in actual games? They will be giving him some space and likely have some help over the top. Nonetheless, he's very impressive in those drills.

Tartt has become so good in single coverage from his first two years. He had great coverage against Bourne and Burbridge as did Colbert against Dunbar I believe. 

Sherman picked off Jimmy G when he was covering Garcon. Got beat the first rep deep but had good coverage. Guys like Garcon aren't going to be able to do much against Sherman. 

1 hour ago, 49erurtaza said:

I am shocked Armstead made it through 4 practices before appearing on the injury report. New personal best for him!

Also, according to Barrows, Trent Taylor was activated from the PUP this morning. 

2 minutes ago, y2lamanaki said:

I am shocked Armstead made it through 4 practices before appearing on the injury report. New personal best for him!

Also, according to Barrows, Trent Taylor was activated from the PUP this morning. 

Yessir, saw Taylor in pads but didn't see him participate in the one on one drills though. 

25 minutes ago, y2lamanaki said:

Still can't believe we picked up his option for next year

13 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Because it made no sense not to pick it up. We can rescind it before March and he will become a FA. 

Assuming he's healthy enough to pass a physical. Guy can't stay healthy

Archived