** 2018 Training Camp **

WizardHawk

Two sides of the coin.

The Good:

1) Dak is not a "good" practice player, and has stated in the past that he tries to do alot in practice he would never do in games. He said, that he likes pushing his boundaries and testing things in practice. So, not being "good" in practice may be sort of by design.

2) Zeke and the O-Line. Our Offense is predicated on smash-mouth, ram it down your throats, punch you in the mouth play. In practice this is never truly replicated - for good reasons. Therefore, the entire machine is not really primed. E.g. Play-action will work in a live game 10 fold compared to in practice. Also, Dak is a running threat IRL.

3) Maybe, our defense is just insanely good... 

The Bad:

1) Dak doesn't have his best pass catchers and is asked to do things he hasn't been asked to do in the past. Witten seemed to really be his safety valve, and when In doubt you could always toss it up to Dez. Also, better tape is out this year, as more tes successfully stopped him 8n 2017... maybe there are some glaring holes in his game that defenses have discovered.

2) Linehan and the playcalling still sucks to the point good players can look bad, as they are too predictable. 

3) Or our skill position players are just awful... and our DBs actually aren't that good, just awful WRs making them look great.

To me, these are the make or break questions for our squad to answer in the first 4 weeks of the season. There is a much more wide open range of success that I anticipate this season compared to seasons past... even Dan Bailey is an 7ncertainty this season. I'm anxious lol.

3 hours ago, matt79511 said:

I think this offense has a chance to succeed if we’re willing to let loose on our tight formations a bit, because let’s be honest our tight ends stink.

No matter how trash your receiving corps is, most defenses are still gonna have to play dime against 10 personnel, lest they choose to run Cover 1 with a safety on a slot receiver (which some defenses can do, but most not for very long). We get those dime looks, then it’s 5 DL + LBs vs this OL and Zeke.

I know we all thought Beasley and Switzer together would cause these problems for the D, but I think Tavon will prove a little more threatening moving around the formation, on end arounds and whatnot. Hopefully.

Our advantage is the fact that we are a strong running team in 10 though. The fact that we can run in any formation is huge. 

EDIT - I am agreeing with your point. And I would like to add that is the huge advantage if we get Thomas; he allows you to do things defensively that very few other players do. You dont play cover 1 in a 4 wide unless you have assurances that your safety is top of the line. 

Fwiw JG answered questions about the struggling offense in camp. He basically said that they weren't even all the way through the installation of the offense, and that any time it's your first run through it's going to be bumpy.  He then added that the defense really is playing well, and that has added to the bumpiness of the first run. Then he said he thinks it's good for the football team blah blah blah...So he is recognizing it. 

50 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

Our advantage is the fact that we are a strong running team in 10 though. The fact that we can run in any formation is huge. 

EDIT - I am agreeing with your point. And I would like to add that is the huge advantage if we get Thomas; he allows you to do things defensively that very few other players do. You dont play cover 1 in a 4 wide unless you have assurances that your safety is top of the line. 

Word. My concern is that Redball will insist on us much 12, 21, and 22 personnel as possible, because ol' school foobaw or what have you.

Not that Swaim and Jarwin don't have their place, or that we shouldn't mix it up with some play action out of run formations, but you're not gonna will your way to a title 3-4 yards at a time in this NFL. Chunk/splash plays are essential. Watching the Super Bowl this past season was like watching two teams playing an entirely different sport from Dallas.

The Pats for years have run so much play action out of tight formations and delayed or misdirection handoffs out of spread sets. I think that's what our team can and should emulate, given the strength of the OL and Dak and Zeke's symbiosis.

Just watched interviews with Zeke, Dak, and JG.  All of them say this defense is the real deal.

Warner asked JG if he was trying to fix anything on Dak after last year. JG said just refining. Specifically mentioned Footwork, reading the field, and accuracy. Added that he loves the way Dak handled the success of '16 and the adversity since with the same mentality

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2789376-dont-worry-about-numbers-training-camp-is-nfls-teaching-time

We sitting here talking about practice.. Practice y'all. ?

Im not reading into the early struggles with the offense. Its a new offense theyre trying to implement. Plus i think this defense is gonna be flying all over the field this year an will be good.

Archived