Most Underrated Broncos of All-Time?

jsthomp2007

Okay...I am just trying trying to burn through days till TC starts with some rather cheesy topics.  But what can a man really do?  Watch Canadian football...maybe?  With that said, in the last topic Simon Fletcher came up as a guy who never made a Pro Bowl...so, let's see who the must underrated Broncos are of all-time (which actually seems like a harder topic to discern): 

1. Simon Fletcher
  2. Jake Plummer 
  3. Steve Watson 
  4. Tyrone Braxton 
  5. Rich Karlis
  6. Reuben Carter
  7. Craig Morton (he did lead the Broncos to its first Super Bowl)
  8. Haven Moses 
  9. Brian Habib/Tony Jones
  10. Ray Crockett 

After looking at the top 10 lists posted in another thread, I’d have to say Rod Smith.  Smith I don’t think replicates what he did in Denver on almost any other team.  Small, average athlete.  But in terms of Broncos players that get left off of lists and who was an all time great in Denver, he has to be at or near the top of this underrated list. 

He was an iron man once taking over the starting job, missing less than a handful of games.  In his prime was a perennial 1000 yard WR.  The only real knock was he wasn’t a big red zone threat and TD producer.

Also a high character and class act type of person.

Aforementioned Plummer, Rod Smith (definitely one of my favorites), Al Wilson.

Can we consider Champ Bailey underrated? Screw all this recent Revis talk, Champ's prime lasted 2x as long!

Very surprised Trevor Pryce hasn't come up yet, he was great early on in his career.

6 hours ago, Royal_VT said:

Aforementioned Plummer, Rod Smith (definitely one of my favorites), Al Wilson.

Can we consider Champ Bailey underrated? Screw all this recent Revis talk, Champ's prime lasted 2x as long!

Very surprised Trevor Pryce hasn't come up yet, he was great early on in his career.

Oh shoot...Trevor Pryce....at one point was considered the best DL in the game.  

Al Wilson and Steve Atwater. Atwater got plenty of credit during his playing days, but it's like the entire planet forgot about him the minute he retired. Dude was one of the best safeties to ever play the game for the better part of a decade, but you never hear the "experts" give him props for it. 

16 hours ago, BullsandBroncos said:

What about Goose Gousolin

He was great in Denver in the fledgling AFL but wouldn't have made it in the NFL.  It wasn't until the late 60's (when the merger was imminent) before AFL talent really closed the gap with the NFL

Wright, Gradishar and Mecklenberg however were arguably the best at their positions, league wide, for most of their careers. All three should be in the HOF.

Archived