Most Underrated Broncos of All-Time?

jsthomp2007

On 7/29/2018 at 1:54 PM, AKRNA said:

He was great in Denver in the fledgling AFL but wouldn't have made it in the NFL.  It wasn't until the late 60's (when the merger was imminent) before AFL talent really closed the gap with the NFL

Wright, Gradishar and Mecklenberg however were arguably the best at their positions, league wide, for most of their careers. All three should be in the HOF.

Crimes. They were all on good defenses besides Mecklenburg. But he was just a beast. Rulon Jones too.

I underrated Plummer so much I just thought he held us back as a team so much and thought he'd be easy to replace.  I was done with him ever since he threw the ball left handed against kc.

I'm just shocked how much talent Shanny was able to get the most out of plummer. Thought if he can do that with Jay wed win more superbowls. It's a true shame how that ended .

I really don't think Plummer was that good. 

I remember in the 2004 regular season finale, the year Peyton threw 49 TDs to break the (then) single season record. CBS was broadcasting the game and showed Peyton's stats at the start - 49 TDs and 10 INTs - and then when Plummer trotted out they showed his stats, 25 TDs and 20 INTs, and my room mates and I (I was in college at the time) started making a bunch of sarcastic comments about our QB and how he had half as many TDs and twice as many INTs. 

I think it was more a case of the Bronco teams being good in Plummer era and Plummer holding us back. Mike had to work quite a bit of magic to get those teams the winning records they had, despite Plummer's rather glaring short-comings. Once Mike finally decide that Plummer was not a guy with whom even the talented, veteran team he build could win a Super Bowl, he made the bold move to draft Cutler. Now, I'm not excusing Mike's short-falls in the draft and in free agency, over which he did have final say and total control, but those teams in the early 2000s were pretty good and Plummer made quite a few boneheaded mistakes (as did his successor) and had some limitations that held us back. 

I'm worried we're entering a similar period of time now with Case who, while he is an improvement over what we had the last two seasons, but I doubt his ability to get us over the hump. I'm hoping I'm wrong. 

5 hours ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

I really don't think Plummer was that good. 

I remember in the 2004 regular season finale, the year Peyton threw 49 TDs to break the (then) single season record. CBS was broadcasting the game and showed Peyton's stats at the start - 49 TDs and 10 INTs - and then when Plummer trotted out they showed his stats, 25 TDs and 20 INTs, and my room mates and I (I was in college at the time) started making a bunch of sarcastic comments about our QB and how he had half as many TDs and twice as many INTs. 

I think it was more a case of the Bronco teams being good in Plummer era and Plummer holding us back. Mike had to work quite a bit of magic to get those teams the winning records they had, despite Plummer's rather glaring short-comings. Once Mike finally decide that Plummer was not a guy with whom even the talented, veteran team he build could win a Super Bowl, he made the bold move to draft Cutler. Now, I'm not excusing Mike's short-falls in the draft and in free agency, over which he did have final say and total control, but those teams in the early 2000s were pretty good and Plummer made quite a few boneheaded mistakes (as did his successor) and had some limitations that held us back. 

I'm worried we're entering a similar period of time now with Case who, while he is an improvement over what we had the last two seasons, but I doubt his ability to get us over the hump. I'm hoping I'm wrong. 

Your point with Case I think it all depends how the AFC is. I mean is it a stretch to say Keenum can improve upon last year. It also helps hes with a stable organization like he was with the vikings. Either that or he gets figured put because there's more film on him.

Thats my point with Plummer we all thought he was so bad. But he took a decent amount of time to replace. He also had his best year the year before they drafted cutler. I think Cutler being a headcase forcing a trade made me appreciate Plummer more.

I worry about Joseph long before I worry about Case. Especially after I read the article he's not exactly sure how to improve from last year. 

Plummer wasn't that bad.  He did lease the Broncos to an AFC Championship game, which they should have won, and probably could have beat the Seahawks in the Super Bowl.  Plus, he is now a handball players.  I am not sure of many other ex football players who are as productive as Plummer. 

7 hours ago, jsthomp2007 said:

Plummer wasn't that bad.  He did lease the Broncos to an AFC Championship game, which they should have won, and probably could have beat the Seahawks in the Super Bowl.  Plus, he is now a handball players.  I am not sure of many other ex football players who are as productive as Plummer. 

Only real knock I ever had on Plummer was he played his worst game on his biggest stage. He pretty much sucked against the Steelers.

I'm going to go ahead and say Demaryius Thomas. There's been an appropriate amount of things to fault him for over time, drops chief among them, but Thomas has been an incredible player for Denver over the years. In 66 fewer games than Rod Smith he is about 2,700 yards shy of the all time Broncos receiving record. He would need to average 41.5 yards per game for 66 games as a Bronco to eclipse that. I see that as incredibly likely if he's here past this season. He's 2nd all time in TDs among WR/TEs. He has a SB ring and was a big part of the team that made it to another SB. 

The fanbase is consistently down on him, but there have been few WRs more consistent than Thomas over the last 8 years or so.

16 minutes ago, broncos67 said:

I'm going to go ahead and say Demaryius Thomas. There's been an appropriate amount of things to fault him for over time, drops chief among them, but Thomas has been an incredible player for Denver over the years. In 66 fewer games than Rod Smith he is about 2,700 yards shy of the all time Broncos receiving record. He would need to average 41.5 yards per game for 66 games as a Bronco to eclipse that. I see that as incredibly likely if he's here past this season. He's 2nd all time in TDs among WR/TEs. He has a SB ring and was a big part of the team that made it to another SB. 

The fanbase is consistently down on him, but there have been few WRs more consistent than Thomas over the last 8 years or so.

Thomas is a good one as well.  He drives me crazy because I’ve always felt he has more to offer with his size and physical gifts.  No doubt that he’s been a terrific WR in Denver.  Rod Smith and Demaryius Thomas are probably the top 2 WRs in Broncos history.

Archived