Training Camp Thread

AnAngryAmerican

51 minutes ago, BroncoBruin said:

What exactly are you not understanding? If Keenum gets hurt, a guy like Matt Moore could come in, weather the storm and eek out a win or two if the defense steps up. Exactly the kind of situation a young and inexperienced QB like Kelly would struggle to manage. 

Exactly. Kelly looked very good, but also very raw. He still has a lot to learn as he hasn't played in a real game in almost two years. Keenum goes down and you throw Kelly out there it your bound to get him injured also or ruin what confidence he has. 

The main battle behind Keenum should be deciding who's the QBOTF, neither is ready to start right now though if need be.

I'm not going to overreact to a few vanilla drives in the beginning of pre-season. There's no reason to really sound the alarm on first teamers just yet.

As far as the QB situation though, my god, they need to find another QB to backup Keenum. Paxton Lynch is not an NFL QB. Goofy Vance keeps trying to defend him as such with hsi comments about ups and downs, but short of not falling on his face when he took the snap, I'm not sure what the "ups" were for him. Kelly is so advanced in comparison there's no reason he shouldn't be getting #2 reps. 

Again, first preseason game isn't a good indicator of where the starters are at, but I was encouraged by some of the younger guys plays. Yiadom, Lindsay, Parks, Jewell...I thought they all played pretty well. Obviously McKenzie had a great return. I still don't believe in him, but that was great to see. Marquette King is a hell of a punter. Beyond that, meh, we'll see after next game.

One last thing- Vance Joseph is a disaster in front of the media. It's just a continually pathetic display of platitudes  that don't mean anything. Here's my favorite about Lynch:

"He made some plays. He didn't make some. Up and some (???). I haven't watched the film yet, so I can't tell you exactly what I saw out there. But up and down."

That is just astonishingly bad lol. I actually laugh reading it, especially the part about not watching film.

1 hour ago, BroncoBruin said:

What exactly are you not understanding? If Keenum gets hurt, a guy like Matt Moore could come in, weather the storm and eek out a win or two if the defense steps up. Exactly the kind of situation a young and inexperienced QB like Kelly would struggle to manage. 

Moore may be able to, but last night (on Clough's show), one person was calling for T.J. Yates. I don't want someone like that.

I think that the thing that stood out were the interviews after with Lynch and Kelly.

Lynch said he made mistakes but you have to move on - when asked what he needed to improve he basically said he didn't know and would have to wait and watch the tape with the coaches.

Kelly was p*ssed over the mistakes he made - and he knew why he made the mistakes. On the INT he said he mis-read zone coverage for man and on the last drive he said he wasn't patient enough. Asked what he needed to improve he said that he had to do a better job of distinguishing between zone and man coverage. Asked about the fans chanting his name - he said he has to get better and he was p*ssed that they lost because he had a chance to win it and he messed it up.

Which QB would you prefer to have on the team?

1 hour ago, jolly red giant said:

Kelly was p*ssed over the mistakes he made - and he knew why he made the mistakes. On the INT he said he mis-read zone coverage for man and on the last drive he said he wasn't patient enough. Asked what he needed to improve he said that he had to do a better job of distinguishing between zone and man coverage. Asked about the fans chanting his name - he said he has to get better and he was p*ssed that they lost because he had a chance to win it and he messed it up.

Which QB would you prefer to have on the team?

That is what I'm saying, he may make mistakes but at least he has fire and is angry and not just accepting losing. I just imagine Kelly with the same opportunities that Lynch has been given would be a much better investment. Three years and the guy still looks as raw and unable to read a defense as ever. To me Lynch actually looked worse last night than he did last year. Joseph saying he would have to look at the tape when asked about a possible change at back up I thought was comical better make the change before he gets one of our promising young WRs killed out there.

Lynch is finished. When a guy who hasn't played a football game in 2 years and has never played a down in the NFL can come in and mop the floor with you the way Kelly did, you're done. Missing wide open receivers, screwing up a screen pass.. I've said it before; the best Lynch ever looked was as a rookie, and he has done nothing but regress since. Better hope Keenum stays healthy or we're in trouble.

18 minutes ago, BroncoBruin said:

If this game was any indication, we will be calling for Josey Jewell to replace Brandon Marshall a lot this season. He's done as a player. 

And good riddance to him. He got exposed after Trevathan left, and I never liked Marshall anyway. Barring injury, Jewell will be a definite upgrade over him by this time next year.

The lady and I were at the Rockies game last night so I didn't get to watch the Broncos live but did watch it this morning on my DVR. 

What really surprised me was how terribly the first team units looked, all I've been hearing on The Fan and from the Mike Klis of the world is how great this team is going to be this year. We've been hearing that Case Keenum has such command of the huddle and has been so efficient that Peyton's records from 2013 are in jeopardy, that Royce Freeman is going for 2,000 yards, that Vance has learned and improved so much he is a COY candidate and that the rookie WRs are going to the Pro Bowl. Okay, not literally, but you get my point. 

I'm not going to overreact about vanilla schemes in the first preseason game but I didn't see anything to alleviate my concerns that we're incompetently coached team that's ceiling is right around .500 this year. 

As far as the backup QB, I do think we need to think about bringing in a veteran. Who that veteran is I don't know. I think there is a chance that Kelly is the future, was really impressed with what I saw from him and what I heard from him post-game, which @jolly red giant alluded to. I've been saying this since March but I don't think Keenum is really anything more than just an average starter, not someone we can really win big with, no matter the coaching or surrounding talent, but if he has to serve as a one to one-and-a-half season bridge while Kelly develops I guess we can just live with it. But I don't want to risk Kelly getting ruined mentally if he has to get thrown in for a few games. 

39 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

The lady and I were at the Rockies game last night so I didn't get to watch the Broncos live but did watch it this morning on my DVR. 

What really surprised me was how terribly the first team units looked, all I've been hearing on The Fan and from the Mike Klis of the world is how great this team is going to be this year. We've been hearing that Case Keenum has such command of the huddle and has been so efficient that Peyton's records from 2013 are in jeopardy, that Royce Freeman is going for 2,000 yards, that Vance has learned and improved so much he is a COY candidate and that the rookie WRs are going to the Pro Bowl. Okay, not literally, but you get my point. 

I'm not going to overreact about vanilla schemes in the first preseason game but I didn't see anything to alleviate my concerns that we're incompetently coached team that's ceiling is right around .500 this year. 

As far as the backup QB, I do think we need to think about bringing in a veteran. Who that veteran is I don't know. I think there is a chance that Kelly is the future, was really impressed with what I saw from him and what I heard from him post-game, which @jolly red giant alluded to. I've been saying this since March but I don't think Keenum is really anything more than just an average starter, not someone we can really win big with, no matter the coaching or surrounding talent, but if he has to serve as a one to one-and-a-half season bridge while Kelly develops I guess we can just live with it. But I don't want to risk Kelly getting ruined mentally if he has to get thrown in for a few games. 

I agree with the jist of this and the money Keenum is getting has already been received due to us getting rid of talib. So i truly feel like if kelly continues to climb if Keenum remains effective don't rule out us seeing Kelly by mid season. It can turn into fhat type of year.

3 minutes ago, thebestever6 said:

I agree with the jist of this and the money Keenum is getting has already been received due to us getting rid of talib. So i truly feel like if kelly continues to climb if Keenum remains effective don't rule out us seeing Kelly by mid season. It can turn into fhat type of year.

Oh I'll rule it out. 

If Keenum gets hurt and if we don't sign a veteran backup (which I'm about 90% certain we will), then we see Kelly this year. But that is the only way we see Kelly this year. 

Keenum will start every game he is healthy for this year. That is just about carved in stone. 

Archived